What Do You Look For In A Report

Angus

I like all of the points above and try to cover most in my reports to make them informative so other can pick up a tip or two. 

1 hour ago, Angus said:

It can be a despondent feeling putting in a solid chunk of time to a report to only have 1 or 2 comments... It is not a vain thing, just a hope the info is appreciated.

Sometimes I feel the same after putting 5hrs of editing on a video that results in only 5 minutes of video. The video can get a couple of comments,  yet after posting a report that took only 20 minutes there can be dozens of comments, go figure. It doesn't worry me at all just a observation of effort verses comments. 

I have a terrible memory for somethings and writing a report allows me to go back in years and see what trips I did where and what worked. Like a fishing diary.

I enjoy reading all reports good and bad days and everyone's way of writing them is appreciated.

Edited by Luvit

As @Andrew P said @Angus great thread. Time is also a big factor for me.

Depending on what I have on dictates how much time I can spend on a report. I feel a sense of obligation to report as often as I can to repay the friends and advice I have made on the site.

Sometimes you are just so dead tired that reporting is last thing on your mind, but you only get out what you put into anything. Looking at the posts already, it is satisfying to see members do appreciate the effort everyone goes to.

Thanks for starting this thread Angus, came at an ideal time to capitalise on the increased traffic on the site recently, particularly enjoy reading posts put up by the regulars so all good from where I sit, lot of interesting things that have been posted have got me off my a**e and back in the boat, I am enjoying fishing for the simple fish like gar and whiting and catching sand crabs on brickies string lines, lots of fun, so thanks for posting.

MSB

21 minutes ago, MSB said:

I am enjoying fishing for the simple fish like gar and whiting and catching sand crabs on brickies string lines, lots of fun, so thanks for posting.

That all sounds fun as. In a week or so I will have some more time and would like to take you up on the offer of a decky spot if it ever worked out? 

No problems Drop Bear any day but Wednesday 21st as I have a family thing on during the day, early morning lows all next week with good run in the water up to high water, just let me know what day suits

6 hours ago, aussie123 said:

I rarely put up reports anymore because some of the nutters  who used to lurk in the back ground would get upset when they see pictures of lots of dead fish.

Yeah I totally understand that. I believe personally we have turned a page on this. But I remember all to well.

14 hours ago, aussie123 said:

I rarely put up reports anymore because some of the nutters  who used to lurk in the back ground would get upset when they see pictures of lots of dead fish.

I'm really sad to read this mate. What are people expecting to see on a fishing forum? Especially as I know how careful you are at looking after your catch and that nothing is wasted. While I respect peoples decisions to be vegans, and people who practice catch and release, I have thousands of years of catching food for my family in my Genes. It is one of my greatest pleasures feeding my family and friends with fresh fish. If we all do the right thing and keep to bag limits and size limits it is one of the most sustainable food practices. 

I feel lucky that this trolling has not happened to me and I'm yet to see this. I've loved hearing your stories first hand so would love to read them in a report too. 

2 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

I'm really sad to read this mate. What are people expecting to see on a fishing forum? Especially as I know how careful you are at looking after your catch and that nothing is wasted. While I respect peoples decisions to be vegans, and people who practice catch and release, I have thousands of years of catching food for my family in my Genes. It is one of my greatest pleasures feeding my family and friends with fresh fish. If we all do the right thing and keep to bag limits and size limits it is one of the most sustainable food practices. 

I feel lucky that this trolling has not happened to me and I'm yet to see this. I've loved hearing your stories first hand so would love to read them in a report too. 

It used to be really bad on here Robbie.

I would put up a good report with pictures (lol) and in the end I would ask a mod to remove the post.

Some of the C&R brigade were in your own words, flat earthers,lol

I think also from memory Lance, some of the half-wits couldn't work out that the report and pictures of the big boat that went to sea for days, caught a bucketload of fish and had an esky the size of a small car, was, a report of, shock horror, a commercial fishing trip ........... they must have been real intelligent .......... :no:

22 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I think also from memory Lance, some of the half-wits couldn't work out that the report and pictures of the big boat that went to sea for days, caught a bucketload of fish and had an esky the size of a small car, was, a report of, shock horror, a commercial fishing trip ........... they must have been real intelligent .......... :no:

Not to mention the big yellow numbers on the side of the boat Kelvin.

As if I would post up pictures of a few hundred snapper as a rec fisho,lol

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone

I know this is a bit of a blast from the past, but I've decided to dig it up again.

I think it's an excellent thread, as I have picked up some tips from here myself 🙂 

In any report, I always like seeing/hearing the bait/lure which you used, and which didn't work. I like hearing about all the technical stuff as well, like gear, tides, etc. 

I don't mind if there's a few words or if it's a whole narrative in a report, but I do prefer reports that have a bit of a story behind them. 🙂 

Pictures and videos are not a must in my opinion, as you aren't always going to have them. They certainly help the 'narrative' part of the story. In my opinion, a some good pictures may account for not as many words but a good story may count for not many pictures. 

I think the location is 100% up to the writer, but a general area (i.e. middle reaches of the Brisbane River in my reports) is good, or NPD in all of rayke1938's, Dinodadog's, and fishingnut's reports. Saying the POB/bay in Old Scaley's, kmcrosby78's, and ellicat's reports all help as they give you a bit of an idea. I never think giving away your 'spot X' is necessary. 

If you're having a cook-up, food shots are nice also. 🙂 I like hearing reports on all types of trips, successful or not. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂