Oyster Reef Project For Feb

Drop Bear

I am hoping to set up a meeting/BBQ with interested people to go through the requirements for starting a chapter on Ozfish unlimited so we can continue the oyster reef project.

Does Sunday 4pm at my place work?

I will put on a sausage sizzle. Partners welcome. 

Please let me know if this time suits and if you can come so I can get enough sausages. 

Thanks

DB

11 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

You've just reminded me that I haven't actually signed up yet - will do so :) I should be fine to make it on Sunday Rob - at this stage just me but I'll let you know if that changes. Actually, I might see if Dad is interested and wants to come also.

Great that makes 4. yay. 

So I'm off the grog for Feb Fast but feel free to bring some beers along. I will have a sausage sizzle for anyone interested to come. 

If you are reading this and are keen post up or pm me and I can give you the address details. 

You don't need to be a member of Ozfish unlimited to come. We have enough paid up members now. There are no obligations to do anything so if  you just want to come over for a chat and a free sausage please do. 

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

So I'm off the grog for Feb Fast but feel free to bring some beers along. I will have a sausage sizzle for anyone interested to come. 

If you are reading this and are keen post up or pm me and I can give you the address details. 

You don't need to be a member of Ozfish unlimited to come. We have enough paid up members now. There are no obligations to do anything so if  you just want to come over for a chat and a free sausage please do. 

Wife’s Birthday so not this time. Cheers. 

• 2 weeks later...

return from the dead.... kinda.

But just spent the lat 40odd (working) minutes reading all of the posts related to this. This is pretty bloody cool stuff and Rob, your kickstart and enthusiasm to make a positive change is awesome. Great work.

I can't commit to being involved with anything but will help out when and where my planets, wifes planets and kid(s) planets align.

Great initiative and thing to do.

1 hour ago, Do$tylz said:

return from the dead.... kinda.

But just spent the lat 40odd (working) minutes reading all of the posts related to this. This is pretty bloody cool stuff and Rob, your kickstart and enthusiasm to make a positive change is awesome. Great work.

I can't commit to being involved with anything but will help out when and where my planets, wifes planets and kid(s) planets align.

Great initiative and thing to do.

Hey mate thanks for the encouragement. We are forging ahead looking at many angles. 

Here is a bit of an update;

We are now officially the Central Moreton Chapter for OzFish Unlimited. I would encourage everyone who has an interest in this project to join OzFish Unlimited. Its only $25 and you get a cap and a sticker. Chances are this will be a one off life time fee but not confirmed yet. It is a great organisation for amateur anglers to be involved in. 

We have approached fisheries and they are fully supportive and will help with permits

We have approached Marine Parks and Environment and they are very happy to meet with us and discuss an application. 

We have identified locations where we would like to start our first project

We have set up the Wynnum Fishing Club and will use it to run fishing competitions focusing on sustainable fishing practices and species. As well as have workshops for both experienced and novice anglers. We will host kids fishing days and all ability fishing days.

We have approached Oyster Grower Association and have found a suitable oyster lease that we hope to buy. This will be used to catch and grow spat (baby oysters) so we can transport them to areas of the bay that have been destroyed. 

We are setting up a go fund me account to attempt to get funding to purchase this lease.

We have set up a Facebook page. Well... I did and it is a bit rubbish. @christophagus is helping.

We are designing a Wynnum Fish Club logo and are making contacts to print long sleeve t shirts, hats and patches. 

We are talking to Bunnings to see if we can do the sausage thing to raise money.

We have approached council to see if we can get a clubhouse and an oyster shell storage area.

We have found restaurants happy for us to collect their oyster shells that we will need for the project

We have had an AGM and a second meeting.

We have approached BCF Tingalpa and they are very excited to give us prizes for fund raising competitions etc.

So that's pretty exciting :)

3 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey mate thanks for the encouragement. We are forging ahead looking at many angles. 

Here is a bit of an update;

We are now officially the Central Moreton Chapter for OzFish Unlimited. I would encourage everyone who has an interest in this project to join OzFish Unlimited. Its only $25 and you get a cap and a sticker. Chances are this will be a one off life time fee but not confirmed yet. It is a great organisation for amateur anglers to be involved in. 

We have approached fisheries and they are fully supportive and will help with permits

We have approached Marine Parks and Environment and they are very happy to meet with us and discuss an application. 

We have identified locations where we would like to start our first project

We have set up the Wynnum Fishing Club and will use it to run fishing competitions focusing on sustainable fishing practices and species. As well as have workshops for both experienced and novice anglers. We will host kids fishing days and all ability fishing days.

We have approached Oyster Grower Association and have found a suitable oyster lease that we hope to buy. This will be used to catch and grow spat (baby oysters) so we can transport them to areas of the bay that have been destroyed. 

We are setting up a go fund me account to attempt to get funding to purchase this lease.

We have set up a Facebook page. Well... I did and it is a bit rubbish. @christophagus is helping.

We are designing a Wynnum Fish Club logo and are making contacts to print long sleeve t shirts, hats and patches. 

We are talking to Bunnings to see if we can do the sausage thing to raise money.

We have approached council to see if we can get a clubhouse and an oyster shell storage area.

We have found restaurants happy for us to collect their oyster shells that we will need for the project

We have had an AGM and a second meeting.

We have approached BCF Tingalpa and they are very excited to give us prizes for fund raising competitions etc.

So that's pretty exciting :)

We have also had suggestions of monetary support from

Inox

@Ovington 's lab which does sea grass monitoring (sorry mate did not know the name). 

Are working on environmental grant applications with BCC. 

Doing a cracking job Pres @Drop Bear :P

2 hours ago, Angus said:

We have also had suggestions of monetary support from

Inox

@Ovington 's lab which does sea grass monitoring (sorry mate did not know the name). 

Are working on environmental grant applications with BCC. 

Doing a cracking job Pres @Drop Bear :P

https://www.facebook.com/TibbettslabUQ/

Thats Facebook group for our lab. We do a wide range of stuff but yeah plenty on seagrass and associated inhabitants.

Looking forward to getting involved, I have registered and hope to have a chat to everyone involved if I can make it to a meeting. 

Cheers

10 hours ago, Ovington said:

https://www.facebook.com/TibbettslabUQ/

Thats Facebook group for our lab. We do a wide range of stuff but yeah plenty on seagrass and associated inhabitants.

Looking forward to getting involved, I have registered and hope to have a chat to everyone involved if I can make it to a meeting. 

Cheers

That is awesome! All donations are tax deductible. 

Archived