Fishing When Barometer Is Low

Grmby

I used to check the barometer religiously before every session but now if I'm awake I'll head out. Caught fish on a low barometer as well as high. The only time I really notice a big difference, especially on bass is when the barometer changes quickly with an approaching storm. That's when things can go nuts.

If you're brave enough to wave a rod with lighting around the fishing gods will reward said bravery with lot's of bass....or an early demise. It's a gamble.

3 hours ago, Grmby said:

I definitely find the fishing slows down a little bit but will still be getting out there, have read quite a few theories on it

I find fishing theories often relate to the reason why you didn't catch fish, as opposed to why you did. For example: "Did you catch any?" "Nah mate, tides were wrong; moon was wrong; bloody northerlies; drought on the land, drought in the sea; too much fresh; not enough run in the tide; barometer too high; barometer too low; too much light, fish were spooky; too much boat traffic; etc., etc."

I've gone out in perfect (theoretical) conditions and caught nothing. And been out just to have a look, when everything pointed to no, and caught plenty. I've kept a fishing diary for years, and whenever I think I'm onto a pattern, it can quickly be disproved. I now live by the notion that more you fish, the higher chance you have of catching fish. The only time I think barometer makes a difference is when you have those sudden huge drops, like just before a storm. For some unknown reason it seems to wake everything up and give them a charge. Other than that fish generally need to eat quite regularly, so probably aren't waiting for the perfect barometer conditions just to feed.

Yeh I think you’re right, I was catching before taking I even started looking into it, and was looking at it after I had caught no fish and used it as the reason, it’s also stopped me from heading out, but I think being out there and not catching fish is better than sitting at go,e anyway

Hi Grmby

When I was working, if I waited for so called perfect fishing conditions, I would never have gone fishing, as long as it isn't blowing its a**e out or storms are forecast for the time I wand to go, I go fishing regardless of moon, tides, rain, barometer, and just like Tybo said so called perfect days I have scored zilch and in less then perfect conditions caught plenty, I kept a diary for years and ended up putting it in the bin and now just go fishing when I have the time, same as bait,  I always pump my own yabbies and take along a packet of frozen prawns or a few pillies just in case and often have the frozen bait outfish the live yabbies, just recently started fishing with lures again and forgot how much fun it is, so forget the reasons why not to go and just go dude.

MSB

5 hours ago, Grmby said:

Only fished a few times, not too sure if there are big ones in there. They don’t to be big on the light gear anyway!

My nephew's mate pulled in a 40ish centimetre one just out the front of the boat shed while we were there the other week. He was just using hardbodies, I think he catches a few

Archived