Decent Rod For $150

Iv'e been fishing for about a year now with crappy gear after having most of it brake on me now i want a decent rod and reel for bream flathead whiting and other smaller fish, im pretty parcial to shimano but i will try out other brands, for the reel i want  between 2000-2500 size reel. for the rod i want 1-3kg 1-4kg 2-4kg and the length of the rod to be any where between 6'10  to  7'2  (must be 2 piece) for the setup i want it to cost around or even under  $200 as i am still at school and cant afford to be buying very expensive gear. And i am a big cosmetics fan so i would like the setup to look good but mainly looking for performance.

2 hours ago, Benjamin gorge mchuges said:

Iv'e been fishing for about a year now with crappy gear after having most of it brake on me now i want a decent rod and reel for bream flathead whiting and other smaller fish, im pretty parcial to shimano but i will try out other brands, for the reel i want  between 2000-2500 size reel. for the rod i want 1-3kg 1-4kg 2-4kg and the length of the rod to be any where between 6'10  to  7'2  (must be 2 piece) for the setup i want it to cost around or even under  $200 as i am still at school and cant afford to be buying very expensive gear. And i am a big cosmetics fan so i would like the setup to look good but mainly looking for performance.

http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Shimano-Sienna-Sonic-Lure-Spin-Combo/544483?menuFrom=303

I like the "Shimano Sienna" for a good budget reel in small size. The link above is a combo that suits your budget but I don't know the rod. I don't really know where to steer you on light rods sorry. @Angus had some fantastic Nordic Stage Favourites that were not out of the park for money. Perhaps he still has some. These are a carbon rod so just watch they break easily but are so nice in your hand. If you bought a Sienna and a Favoutite you would have a great set up with the fishing you are doing. 

The Siennas are a basic looking silver reel. If you could stretch to a Nordic stage Aerial Pro you are starting to have a nice looking (and fantastic to use) Kit. 

Good luck and if you have any fishing trips can you take a few photos for us and put up a bit of a report? We love reading fishing stories here :)

DB

flathead.jpg

im a huge advocate for the Shimano Sienna reels. Cheap, and when looked after they last a long time. I believe they sell a Sienna combo for under $100 (when on sale which seems to be every second week).

If the budget stretches, you could buy two combos for under $200 and have them setup for different species. a 4-6lb setup for bream and an 8-10lb setup for flatties, jacks, bullsharks, jew etc

Go and have a yarn to Barra Jacks or  Tackle World they both price match

BCF can be an unknown quality depending on the knowledge of the sales person you strike but wont hurt to speak to all of them .

there are quite a few on line stores such as motackle and dinga who are good to deal with.

Be very careful with ebay sellers .

Cheers

Ray

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Shimano-Sienna-Sonic-Lure-Spin-Combo/544483?menuFrom=303

I like the "Shimano Sienna" for a good budget reel in small size. The link above is a combo that suits your budget but I don't know the rod. I don't really know where to steer you on light rods sorry. @Angus had some fantastic Nordic Stage Favourites that were not out of the park for money. Perhaps he still has some. These are a carbon rod so just watch they break easily but are so nice in your hand. If you bought a Sienna and a Favoutite you would have a great set up with the fishing you are doing. 

The Siennas are a basic looking silver reel. If you could stretch to a Nordic stage Aerial Pro you are starting to have a nice looking (and fantastic to use) Kit. 

Good luck and if you have any fishing trips can you take a few photos for us and put up a bit of a report? We love reading fishing stories here :)

DB

flathead.jpg

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

DB

flathead.jpg

I own a shimano sienna fe but as soon as it go exposed to even the littlist amount of salt it just stopped working the things handlecan bearley move and even after getting a qoute for it to be serviced the bloke recokened it woludnt be worth it, so my expirences with the siennas havent been the best. is there any other reel you could recomend to me?

3 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Go and have a yarn to Barra Jacks or  Tackle World they both price match

BCF can be an unknown quality depending on the knowledge of the sales person you strike but wont hurt to speak to all of them .

there are quite a few on line stores such as motackle and dinga who are good to deal with.

Be very careful with ebay sellers .

Cheers

Ray

yeah i live near barra jacks but tackle world havent got any budget friendly gear i buy a lot of lures line leader and even terminal tackle but not really rods and reels, with barra jacks its been a while since i went there i think its been about 9 mounth but will give them a look.

6 hours ago, christophagus said:

im a huge advocate for the Shimano Sienna reels. Cheap, and when looked after they last a long time. I believe they sell a Sienna combo for under $100 (when on sale which seems to be every second week).

If the budget stretches, you could buy two combos for under $200 and have them setup for different species. a 4-6lb setup for bream and an 8-10lb setup for flatties, jacks, bullsharks, jew etc

my expirences with siennas have been really bad so i dont really want to buy another one but could u recomend me anything in particualar?

3 hours ago, Luc53 said:

Have a look at this outfit http://www.downriggershop.com.au/micro-jigging-combo.html

I asked for 3 kilo braid rather than 6.

Very happy with mine, lure casting, trolling and bait fishing.

Also http://www.downriggershop.com.au/light-spin-reels-and-rods.html

im looking for around a 2-4kg rod rather then a pe 3 jig rod but in furture will defintiliey get a jig rod for snapper off the boat!

I'm with Drop Bear. If you can stretch to a Nordic Stage Areal pro you will be a happy guy. Such awesome rods that can be used for anything from Bream up to big flathead and Trevally. Super sensitive and light. I use mine for surface fishing, soft plastics and hard bodies. Theres a guy on the Sunshine Coast selling a 7' areal pro. $200 used which is about the going rate. You might be able to get it posted for that. I'd buy it myself but I've already got a couple. If your'e interested let me know and I'll send you the facebook link. Any reel weighing around 200 - 230 grams will balance nicely in my opinion.

I never had any issues with siennas when I owned them. Other than when I dunked one in saltwater and didn't realise that was a bad thing.  :) It ceased up and ended up  in the bin, but that would have happened  no matter what reel it was.  

1 hour ago, fishinfox said:

I'm with Drop Bear. If you can stretch to a Nordic Stage Areal pro you will be a happy guy. Such awesome rods that can be used for anything from Bream up to big flathead and Trevally. Super sensitive and light. I use mine for surface fishing, soft plastics and hard bodies. Theres a guy on the Sunshine Coast selling a 7' areal pro. $200 used which is about the going rate. You might be able to get it posted for that. I'd buy it myself but I've already got a couple. If your'e interested let me know and I'll send you the facebook link. Any reel weighing around 200 - 230 grams will balance nicely in my opinion.

I never had any issues with siennas when I owned them. Other than when I dunked one in saltwater and didn't realise that was a bad thing.  :) It ceased up and ended up  in the bin, but that would have happened  no matter what reel it was.  

Yep Siennas are good unless you dunk them in the salt. I make sure I rinse it off each trip and all of mine have lasted many years.

On 18 February 2018 at 1:20 PM, fishinfox said:

yeah sorry as a school student and only 13 i cant really afford expensive gear such as $200 rods

On 17 February 2018 at 3:08 PM, MarkA said:

I’ve had good experiences with the Daiwa tdt spin combos with the aird reels. For a budget reel they did a lot better for me than some others. I had a quick google to see if they are still available but only seemed to find this set up now. 

http://www.sneakyfisho.com/daiwa-aird-x-2500-aird-x-701lfs-light-spin-combo.html

ive never tryed diawa , but regards to the rod i kind of need it to be 2 piece because a lot of my fishing trips are just after school with my dad having a flick so i need it to be pordable.

18 hours ago, Benjamin gorge mchuges said:

Ive used my mates raider quite a bit but i didnt like the feel or the look of it, in regards to the reel ive really been looking at this shimano sedona fi c2000hgs that has a shallow spool it looks really nice and is under $100 which leaves me $100 for a rod!

I'm just wandering through BCF now and they have a Sedona combo with a classix rod for 150, maybe check that out? Save yourself $50 till you know what rod you really want

14 hours ago, Benjamin gorge mchuges said:

yeah i was looking at the sedona fi c2000hgs shallow spool but if i can get a nasci for $100, im not complaining and i found a rod i really like for $100 it is A Shimano maikuro 2-4kg 7foot 2piece and i felt it the other day and love it!! 

Good on you mate. Sounds like a top package. I'd love to hear how your fishing trips go. Please post up a report with some photos if you get a chance :)

5 minutes ago, Benjamin gorge mchuges said:

were do u do the fishing reports?

If you go to the home page and click Start a new topic it will get you started. 

Most are in the Saltwater or Freshwater sections. you just need to type in a name then a tag or 5 (Silver Perch, Dam fishing or something like that)

Then you are in. Pictures are always great to have in there too. :)

Guest Kendaric

In a durable rod of good value, it is hard to go past Shakespeare or Siltar.  They also don't overrate the their rods like Shimano or Diawa, and have a fast action.

Budget Shimano reels are cosmetically as ugly as a flock as tip chickens/dump ducks/bin buzzards , and their mid priced range is not much better - but they perform well, so if you are not fussy, these are a good choice.  I'd be leaning more to Daiwa or possibly Quantum. Other brand reels like Rovex (Javis Walker), Silstar, Shakespeare, Ryobi and Fin Nor (Javis Walker rebrand under licence) plus many more are just rebranded OEM Chinese reels - the cheaper they are, the cheaper they really are.

27 minutes ago, Kendaric said:

In a durable rod of good value, it is hard to go past Shakespeare or Siltar.  They also don't overrate the their rods like Shimano or Diawa, and have a fast action.

Budget Shimano reels are cosmetically as ugly as a flock as tip chickens/dump ducks/bin buzzards , and their mid priced range is not much better

Pretty opinion based statement... 

Shimano Nasci looks great and will out perform a price-matched Daiwa all day long.  10 year Shimano warranty vs 5 year Daiwa :whistle:

Guest Kendaric
15 hours ago, timtam_ said:

Pretty opinion based statement... 

Shimano Nasci looks great

True enough, the Nasci doesn't look too bad overall, but I am bias, as it is still the upswept body style of the Sienna FE just covered with a filler plate to try and add visual balance - just doesn't float my boat, and I use to be a big fan of Shimano once.  Seems Shimano is continuing to head down this path.

The 10 year warranty is just a marketing strategy, very easy to get out of - I'd be having a closer look at the fine print. 

Guest Kendaric
12 hours ago, Benjamin gorge mchuges said:

Honestly shakespear and silstars rod are pretty ugly but i really love the smooth and slick look of the shimano spin reels that have been coming out latley.

Granted, Shakespeare and Silstar are of a more colloquial style, more traditional in some sense - but for the price, incredibly durable and a fast actioned, don't pretend to be anything that they aren't, and are very forgiving to fish with.  It's a crying shame that Silstar dropped their Crystal Blue models, and seem to have cut back on the other models.

We are also trying here to get the best most durable bang for the dollar in a rod and reel outfit.

Archived