Island Fishing At Its Finest!!

Benjamin gorge mchuges

This trip all stared when we checked the weather for the next few day realised the weather was perfect and the weekend was near, so we pack the boat stocked, up on a few lures and started our trip to the magical wonders on the sea. It was still pretty early so we decided to stop the boat and go for a vertical jigging session was not much to show but a greedy cod and 2 HUGE hook ups but both busted me off in seconds, after the drag stopped  peeling and the jig bite slowed down we went to the island to setup camp for 2 night.

IMG_2822.thumb.JPG.68e5a3c1941ce37a3df79a8ae918a63a.JPG

As we finished setting everything up and i had some time to burn on the island i went for a flick with some zman 2.5 inch slim swimz on 6lb braid and as you can tell by the photo the Gt was pretty big, 43cm to be exact it was pelling drag and almost spooled me 3 times with 200 yards of line, the bite had been tough but this gt was hungry and followed my lure right to my feet and went Mental over my lure!

5a909c0d590a3_IMG_2702(1).thumb.JPG.3f87d751ad1142fca356f166f2772b3c.JPG

After catching that GT i had a flick for another 30 mins and i decided to grab my dads setup with 6lb but this time i had a zman 2.5 inch grubz on, kayaked over to the reef and pulled out a solid 41cm stripey snapper on 8lb fluro! after 7 solid mins of this fella peeling drag and chasing him away from sharks i landed him and decided to feed the fam as he wasn't releasing to well.IMG_2884.thumb.PNG.8148258909ba4494232e1f661cb4e2cc.PNGIMG_2681.thumb.JPG.c0fbe5e1df40c9c19f2cafd95da523a9.JPG

And just to top off the trip I managed to catch my first ever squid with a storm so-run 90mm with the bib broken because it hit a rock and that squid made the day by giving us 1.2kg of pure calamari!!

Over all was a good trip and will defiantly be doing some more reports for you guys! Hope you enjoyed!

51 minutes ago, Benjamin gorge mchuges said:

Over all was a good trip and will defiantly be doing some more reports for you guys! Hope you enjoyed!

mate great read. Thats a champion of a report. Is it your first one? well done.

Stripy Snapper are delicious I hope you had a nice dinner and Squid are awesome. 

Not long now and squid will be back on the west side of the bay.

What island is that if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah this is my first ever report and wont be my last! And the spuid ans stripey were great my mum allways cooks them perfectly. The gt and the stripey were off humpy island and the squid and the cod (there were many more!) were on the south side of gki. And which bay will the squid be in? mum enjoyed the squid so much she wants me to get a few more for dinner another time!

10 hours ago, Benjamin gorge mchuges said:

Yeah this is my first ever report and wont be my last! And the spuid ans stripey were great my mum allways cooks them perfectly. The gt and the stripey were off humpy island and the squid and the cod (there were many more!) were on the south side of gki. And which bay will the squid be in? mum enjoyed the squid so much she wants me to get a few more for dinner another time!

Mate at the right time if year (soon) Moreton Bay off Brisbane is loaded with them. 

26 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

and remember even the pros come home empty handed some times :)

Well that's the first time @Old Scaley and I have been referred to as pro's Rob, thank you kindly ...... :whistle: 

Looking forward to reading more reports from that neck of the woods Benjamin - I grew up in Dysart and went to boarding school in Yeppoon (St Brendans) but unfortunately haven't fished offshore much around there. Got a brother in Gracemere so will have to get up for a fish with him sometime as he has a reef he does well at.

On 2/25/2018 at 8:13 AM, kmcrosby78 said:

Well that's the first time @Old Scaley and I have been referred to as pro's Rob, thank you kindly ...... :whistle: 

Looking forward to reading more reports from that neck of the woods Benjamin - I grew up in Dysart and went to boarding school in Yeppoon (St Brendans) but unfortunately haven't fished offshore much around there. Got a brother in Gracemere so will have to get up for a fish with him sometime as he has a reef he does well at.

Yeah im in rocky so 30mins away but i mainly fish in yeppon!

Archived