Light Spin Rod Recomendation

I've already decided the reel which will be a shimano c2000hgs shallow spool reel but i am unsure with rods????

I am looking for a rod around 1-3kg 1-4kg 2-4kg and around the 7 foot mark. And for it to cost under $110. Any help as to what i should get would be appreciated.

I will be fishing for mainly Flathead, Bream and other smaller estuary species with some 6 lb braid and light drag!

Hi Benjamin

All of the major brands will have something in your range, and they will all do the job, bear in mind the old adage of setting your line to one third of the breaking strain only applies to mono, as it is breaking strain tested, braid is not breaking strain tested and a 6lb braid will have a minimum breaking strain well over what the mono breaks at, that is why you see guys in videos putting plenty of heat on fish using say 6lb braid line, you couldn't put the same pressure on using 6lb mono.

Enjoy your fishing.

MSB

Hey Benjamin, I have an old Berkley drop shot 6'6 in length it is 2-3kg and I love it paired up with my old sienna 2500. Last couple of years I have kinda switched across to Diawa rods as I find them a bit more durable and I have got a few of the Diawa Laguna rods they are around 6'6 as well but I have them in 2-3kg and 3-5kg around the $60 mark if at BCF. The Diawa Saltist range is another good range they work more in PE then KG, so look for PE 1-2 I have a baitcaster rod and it is what I tend to use now for estuary fishing as it is so dam flexible and strong that I have landed 1 long shovel nose on it a few times which run like crazy and are strong buggers on the line we are talking about. 

Each to their own though it depends what you want and what you think feels nice in your hands.... Shimano are great rods and you will find one in your price range... I tend to go to local stores instead of the big ones to support the little guy so I tend to pay a little extra sometimes but the service and knowledge is priceless. If you are ever out Ipswich way go and see Charlton's fishing at Redbank.

Best of luck! 

On 3/8/2018 at 8:43 AM, MSB said:

Hi Benjamin

All of the major brands will have something in your range, and they will all do the job, bear in mind the old adage of setting your line to one third of the breaking strain only applies to mono, as it is breaking strain tested, braid is not breaking strain tested and a 6lb braid will have a minimum breaking strain well over what the mono breaks at, that is why you see guys in videos putting plenty of heat on fish using say 6lb braid line, you couldn't put the same pressure on using 6lb mono.

Enjoy your fishing.

MSB

thanks mate! is there any particular rod u could recommend to me ?

15 hours ago, Benjamin gorge mchuges said:

thanks mate! is there any particular rod u could recommend to me ?

Hi Benjamin

Natang has nailed it for you, each to their own , however since you are lacking experience at your age and need a bit of advice, maybe match a Shimano with a Shimano, only consideration for you  is will you be bait fishing or lure fishing,  I assume you will be  lure fishing if you are purchasing that reel so maybe check out the Shimano website and see if they recommend a rod to suit the reel you are purchasing, however, if you are bait fishing an alternative is maybe have a look at the Shakespeare Gold  Ugly Stik range,  both are well within your price range. I have Shimanos on my Ugly Stiks and the combination works well for me for the style of fishing I do.

Let the site know what you end up with and post some pics of your outfit.

MSB

24 minutes ago, Benjamin gorge mchuges said:

those laguna rods u talk about for 60 i went to bcf and had a feel of the rod and like it is and well as the gold on the rod! Do they give a good performance for the price? and is does diawas warranty any good causes ive heard thats its really bad.

Hey buddy I've caught some decent flattie, Tailor and stingray on them out of the boat in the passage and they have been great. I have a little Diawa spin reel on them equivelent to the shimano 2000-2500 and find them great but thats me. Warranty no idea mate as I have never had any problems. Mine are 3 years old now. 

Diawa spin reel on them equivalent to the shimano 2000-2500. Can't remember but I got it from BCF from memory it all came for under $100 including some braid... But that was 3 years ago. I haven't been into BCF for over a year. Have a look at the reels they have nothing higher then the 2500 you don't need it for this sized rod. 

51 minutes ago, Benjamin gorge mchuges said:

thanks for the advice so now im suck between a diawa laguna 1-4kg 7foot 2piece and a shimano miakuro 2-4kg 7foot 2 piece.

Hi Benjamin

I am more of a bait soaker then a lure fisherman, if I were you I would follow Natangs advice and go the diawa laguna.

MSB

1 hour ago, Benjamin gorge mchuges said:

the only problem i have with diawa is their warranty is pretty bad compared to shimano

Pretty rare that a warranty claim would be needed with any of the better brands. Most breakages are car doors or other accidents, or bruised rods that have not been looked after. Just go with what feels good in your hands that suits your budget and you will be fine.

18 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Pretty rare that a warranty claim would be needed with any of the better brands. Most breakages are car doors or other accidents, or bruised rods that have not been looked after. Just go with what feels good in your hands that suits your budget and you will be fine.

Thanks for your advice really appreciate it!!!

13 hours ago, Benjamin gorge mchuges said:

Thanks for your advice really appreciate it!!!

This is true. Need to consider what the warranty actually covere. Shimano is like 10 years isn't it? But only manufacturers fault. So if it doesn't snap on the first couple of uses it is hard to prove. As a manufacturer a rod that had been purchased and in use for months let alone years has had a lot of potential for dings, not being washed properly etc.

My advice is like old scaley. Buy what you like the feel of within budget and take care of it :)

1 hour ago, Angus said:

This is true. Need to consider what the warranty actually covere. Shimano is like 10 years isn't it? But only manufacturers fault. So if it doesn't snap on the first couple of uses it is hard to prove. As a manufacturer a rod that had been purchased and in use for months let alone years has had a lot of potential for dings, not being washed properly etc.

My advice is like old scaley. Buy what you like the feel of within budget and take care of it :)

Wow that is interesting. I didn't know that not washing your rod make it more brittle?  My poor fishing gear...

Archived