My First ever shark!!!!! Wooooooooooooo

pinkey

YEOOWWWWWW......... Ok :) , I have been dreaming about catching a shark all week now. So this arvo after school I decided it was time.. Had no bait, and my castnet is ripped so i decided to use some suasage out of the fridge to see if i could get a catty or eel to use as bait for a shark. So i casted out the peice of sausage and waited, and waited, and waited... this was the MOST ive ever wanted to catch a cattie and it took me over an hour.. haha, at the same time i had my shark rod out with some sauseage on wire trace and shark hooks ahaa, on that rod i landed a nice big muddie wich i had hook through the claw.. Anway so i rigged the 20ish cm cattie on one of the traces that mackmauler kindly gave to me and flathead to show us how to make our own! thanks heaps mate.. I rigged one hook below the spine on its back and the other neer the end of its tail and Hurled it out. Not long after i had a call from my mum saying she was picking me up in 10mins! i thoguht oh noo just as i had got the cattie i dont get much of a chance to use it... I was staring at my rod in anticipation.. when i saw the line go a little big slack i though it was just a crab. about 10 seconds later my rod starts bending over and i hear some serious surface spashes and look over to see something thrashing on the surface , i then felt the weight and i knew i had whatever it was , it then made another big surface spalsh and was peeling line , i was soo excited and wanted to bring it in soo badly, so the fight only lasted about 2 mins when i pulled up my first EVER shark. Lol it felt like a dream.. She went 77cm and was a real handfull to get home. I kept this one to try , because i have heard that they are good on the chew. I will find out for myself shortly.. :D:) I am a happy man. Thanks to mackmauler.

Now for the pics..

very well done mate its a buzz and a half your first, just a hint next time you want to chew on it cut the sharks tail wrist quite deeply this should make it bleed out nicely then take a fillet once well bled about 20 mins plus size dependent then skin and cut away any dark meat then slice into steaks or eadible size peices some say soak in lemon overnight but personally i think its best fresh just make sure to bleed fillet skin ice quick and they are great

Thanks everyone :) Now i need some advice on cooking him , I have filleted him and skined him. I would like to try abit tonight and have the rest tomorrow night as i have already had dinner.. soo how do i go about cooking him and how should i store the rest for tomorrow night ? thanks.

ok then... a hint for for everyone on this site DONT eat sharks from oxley creek. we once rmoved head, all fins and gutted the shark and while i was filleting it i was still almost throwing up. Discusting!(must just be the sharks from this creek though) but since i didn't want to waste it we tried eating a little and suprisly it tasted pretty good, completly the opposite to the smell.

Archived