Selling Stuff On AFO

Old Scaley

Just thinking about a recent topic where a new member advertised an unwanted prize. I thought that a while ago there were some site rules about who could post classifieds? 

I am not casting any aspersions on any members but I am instantly suspicious or dismissive of first time posters who are using the site to sell something. This is a fishing forum where members might sometimes advertise their unwanted gear. It is not scumtree or fleabay. Those sites have a different business model that has some protection built in for buyers. Again, I am not having a go at anyone who may have seen the site and thought it was a good opportunity to sell something to likeminded people. These people are not doing the wrong thing because they are not breaking any rules that they can see. I had a quick search and could not find anything that stops this sort of action, but I thought that there was something a while ago that introduced different levels of membership and that informed who could or couldn’t advertise on the site? 

You're spot on Steve - I can't remember the terminology but I think you had to pay perhaps $25 to be a 'Gold Member' (or is it Club Member)??? which gave the ability to advertise things for sale. You could also cash in points/credits in lieu of paying actual money which promoted forum participation.

For me this site doesn't serve as a personal sales front often. But if it does I guess it is easy to make decisions as so many are known. I guess that is one perk of a community vs a dedicated sales site is knowing members.

I notice members who sign up to sell and no more rarely get a lot of love.

14 hours ago, Angus said:

But if it does I guess it is easy to make decisions as so many are known.

For Sale;

The Straddie Bridge. 

One owner low kms. 

I am selling an unwanted bridge. It goes from Redland Bay through several bay islands then to Stradbroke island. I was always going to get around to putting up a toll but if you did i recon you would make heaps. 

I have to sell quickly so it will have to be sight unseen. 

Price is 1 bottle of rum. 

Regards the trusty Drop Bear. 

Archived