tugger

This is a tale of 2 parts of a day the 1st started off calm flat seas which lead us out to the wave rider bouy where Brad and I had fun hooking in to big Dorados or other wise known as Dolphin Fish we had a ball catching 9 and losing another 7 big fish before another boat came along and drove straight up to the bouy and shut the fish down. Our method we have found is to start well up current 200m or more of the bouy and turn the motor off and drift down getting ready to throw out your baits as you get closer then once you have passed the bouy by a fair way you drive around the bouy by another good distance so not to startle the feeding fish bit like when chasing tuna.

The 2nd part of the day and after our fun with the Dorados was finished we headed in closer to the headland and anchored up wasn't long before a storm started to brew and the wind picked up but it was the water spouts that had me worried as they were getting close so we decided to run behind the headland at stradie for shelter. Soon enough the storm passed to the north of us and we headed back to my rock and anchored again with the current roaring we found the fish on and Brad landed a 50cm+ Tuskie at the same time I hooked up to to a big fish but alas mine threw the hook, it was great little period for as soon as baits were hiting the bottom you had hits and we landed plenty of little snapper and moses with a couple of good keepers mixed in.

IMG_20180420_094801331.thumb.jpg.cacdf8b82d138b317f63533736a814d2.jpg

We run out of bait so we headed for home just on lunch time and missed all of the rain the mainland had got we must of been lucky by the looks of the wet roads and ground every where and dodged a bit offshore as well back at home we whipped the sides off these tastey criters and had a few coldies to round the day out. Thanks again Brad for joining me on another cracker of a day I think it has been a while on the dorado for you and I reckon you will like how they chew it is some of the best table fish you can get like striking gold.

20180420_145114.thumb.jpg.0ed219769660fc29d36d8d038d6e040d.jpg

Cracking haul of dollies fellas and a quality tuskie, plus those moses look pretty solid too. Yum!!!!  Did you hook most of them near the buoy Mark or did you get some a fair way past it (100m, 200m, ?). Last time we were out there we got our ones on dead baits a fair way from it (around 200m) but in saying that we only pulled up about 30m in front of it to start our drift so we'll have to try your method is it makes sense.

Did you have any livies or just pillies?  Questions over ...... :whistle:

11 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Cracking haul of dollies fellas and a quality tuskie, plus those moses look pretty solid too. Yum!!!!  Did you hook most of them near the buoy Mark or did you get some a fair way past it (100m, 200m, ?). Last time we were out there we got our ones on dead baits a fair way from it (around 200m) but in saying that we only pulled up about 30m in front of it to start our drift so we'll have to try your method is it makes sense.

Did you have any livies or just pillies?  Questions over ...... :whistle:

G'day Kelvin we hooked most of them before the bouy about 100 m away and some just before the bouy only 1 from behind it. We started with livies till they ran out then cubed up pillies did the trick but by far small live yakkas were taken quicker

38 minutes ago, MSB said:

Plenty of tossers out there with no edicat

I thought you meant @ellicat :lol:

Cracking day boys, we need a wave rider bouy north of Moreton.

I see there is a good water temperature break down you way. Maybe that’s why there was so many on the bouy. 

12 hours ago, Luvit said:

I thought you meant @ellicat :lol:

Cracking day boys, we need a wave rider bouy north of Moreton.

I see there is a good water temperature break down you way. Maybe that’s why there was so many on the bouy. 

This bouy is out in 80m off stradie always nice clear water and it is still warm water till June sometimes July before it drops down enough for the dollies to move on. Most wave rider bouys are in to shallow this 1 is in a perfect spot as long as you fish it properly it fires well. The dad off the Tweed is the same out in about the same depth and always has plenty of dollies on it. Why don't you come out and give it a try?

Had some of the fish fresh again and it was sensational it really is 1 of the best table fish going just simply dusted it with wholemeal stone ground flour and fried it up in a well oiled pan till golden brown on both sides and just before coming off the pan added a good squeeze of lemon juice over each fillet piece.

14 hours ago, straddiebrad said:

where you putting in at rob 

I think i will leave from Wynnum. Met eye has it as a Westerly until about 12 so will have wind at tail. 

By the time I drive to Cleveland and skirt around Peel I think its heaps quicker to just put in at Wynnum Creek for me. 

Mrs Drop Bear's sister is on Straddie for the week so I think I will be her taxi. He plan is to swim in from Cylinder beach. I don't think we will be leaving at the crack of dawn. 

9 hours ago, tugger said:

Had some of the fish fresh again and it was sensational it really is 1 of the best table fish going just simply dusted it with wholemeal stone ground flour and fried it up in a well oiled pan till golden brown on both sides and just before coming off the pan added a good squeeze of lemon juice over each fillet piece.

They seem to get a flavour after you freeze them? They make a great curry and I really like them but some of my less fish friendly friends are not as sure. 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

They seem to get a flavour after you freeze them? They make a great curry and I really like them but some of my less fish friendly friends are not as sure. 

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten them after freezing. Don’t catch enough to freeze them, but fresh they are magnificent. 

Will keep it in mind if I do freeze them. 

41 minutes ago, Luvit said:

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten them after freezing. Don’t catch enough to freeze them, but fresh they are magnificent. 

Will keep it in mind if I do freeze them. 

I hope to head out to the wave rider buoy tomorrow... not sure if I can make it work yet... 

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:22 AM, Drop Bear said:

Have you tried ours after freezing did they have this different taste Robbie ?

we left late and dropped Mrs Drop Bear to Amity to meet up with her family.

Ms Junior Drop Bear and I trolled some lures around for a while. We got 4 king fish but they were all small so put them back... well I think they were kingfish?

I got 2 of them on one lure. There was a school that we could have gotten more from but left them be. 

Was glorious out there. Glamour day. Best weather I have been lucky enough to be out there in. 

Looking forward to Winter Snapper sessions not too far away. 

20180425_110653.jpg

20180425_115840.jpg

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

we left late and dropped Mrs Drop Bear to Amity to meet up with her family.

Ms Junior Drop Bear and I trolled some lures around for a while. We got 4 king fish but they were all small so put them back... well I think they were kingfish?

I got 2 of them on one lure. There was a school that we could have gotten more from but left them be. 

Was glorious out there. Glamour day. Best weather I have been lucky enough to be out there in. 

Looking forward to Winter Snapper sessions not too far away. 

20180425_110653.jpg

20180425_115840.jpg

They look like little amberjack

Archived