Question Related To Fishing Rules

dhingchakdude

Hi Guys,

Anyone is aware about the rule in case your fishing line gets tangled in another person's line, can the guy in who's line your got tangled break your line?

I threw my line in the evening and left it floating about 100 - 200 meters, it was windy and by the time it was night, my line got caught in someone else's line and they were pulling my line thinking they caught a fish, and then they broke my line off!! I am new to Australia and had no idea about the ruling but wanted to punch the guy for breaking my line.

Could anyone apprise me whats the ruling regarding tangling of lines?

Gday @dhingchakdude and welcome to AFO. That must have been annoying.

IMHO it is annoying but pretty reasonable to cut both lines if it is in a big tangle. There might be a rule about damaging someones fishing equipment but I have always just got on with fishing. 200m of line out is a lot of line especially if there are other anglers around. Probably not surprising to get a tangle with that much out. 

Best advice I can give is to tie on another hook and keep on fishing. 

cheers everyone for the info. I surely will be mindful. I am new to fishing... I bought Jarvis Walker Angler Spinning & Estuary Combo - 6.5ft, Black & Red , 

by the way, I am planning to do drone fishing from beach (empty beach). Could anyone tell me a cheap drone for bait dropping? I was thinking about Hubsan  H501S, but its range is only 300m max, and we have a jetty which is about 200m and its is mostly used for squid and crab fishing, I was thinking about dropping bait farther than that and thought about Dji Mavic Pro.

I hope it is not illegal to do drone fishing from beach, and following the Australian drone rules. 

8 hours ago, Binder said:

Pretty common practice if you end up in a decent tangle, but there is no rules covering the situation I am aware of.

I see, then I guess it was my mistake for throwing my line that far.

I am still learning and enjoying fishing, and seeing so many replies to my thread, I like this forum...

I would appreciate anyone's feedback on what hook to use and the weight of sinkers, line type etc. And where to buy in Adelaide 

21 minutes ago, dhingchakdude said:

cheers everyone for the info. I surely will be mindful. I am new to fishing... I bought Jarvis Walker Angler Spinning & Estuary Combo - 6.5ft, Black & Red , 

by the way, I am planning to do drone fishing from beach (empty beach). Could anyone tell me a cheap drone for bait dropping? I was thinking about Hubsan  H501S, but its range is only 300m max, and we have a jetty which is about 200m and its is mostly used for squid and crab fishing, I was thinking about dropping bait farther than that and thought about Dji Mavic Pro.

I hope it is not illegal to do drone fishing from beach, and following the Australian drone rules. 

There are quite a few rules in regard to using drones a quick search on google will find them for you. The DJI Mavic Pro is an excellent drone however not cheap. Even second hand they are $1600 and they are not waterproof. So If you have one mistake over the water that's the end of it. There a cheap drones on FB that advertise for dropping baits off the sure but I have not seen any comments from people that have bought them yet.

You may want to consider a second had 'splash drone' that are waterproof, if you had the money for a a Mavic this might be in you price range. 

5 minutes ago, Luvit said:

There are quite a few rules in regard to using drones a quick search on google will find them for you. The DJI Mavic Pro is an excellent drone however not cheap. Even second hand they are $1600 and they are not waterproof. So If you have one mistake over the water that's the end of it. There a cheap drones on FB that advertise for dropping baits off the sure but I have not seen any comments from people that have bought them yet.

You may want to consider a second had 'splash drone' that are waterproof, if you had the money for a a Mavic this might be in you price range. 

$1600 for a second hand? WoW

I though you could buy a new for like $ 1200     

Dji Mavic Pro for 1200$

4 minutes ago, dhingchakdude said:

$1600 for a second hand? WoW

I though you could buy a new for like $ 1200Dji Mavic Pro for 1200$

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wantirna-south/other-cameras/dji-mavic-pro-fly-more-combo-dji-care-warranty/1182549814

You could well get for the $1200 depending on what comes with it or buy from overseas. You will need a release mechanism as well and the max carry load from memory was 1kg. It is more a high end photography/cinema drone than a fishing drone for taking baits out. 

8 minutes ago, Luvit said:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wantirna-south/other-cameras/dji-mavic-pro-fly-more-combo-dji-care-warranty/1182549814

You could well get for the $1200 depending on what comes with it or buy from overseas. You will need a release mechanism as well and the max carry load from memory was 1kg. It is more a high end photography/cinema drone than a fishing drone for taking baits out. 

yeah right, thats what I was thinking, Hubsan is cheap compared to Dji but I do not know what kind of fish I will catch at max distance of 300 m 

Just tried to find the specs for your combo.K mart sell them and only grade the rod as estuary and I doubt that the reel would carry 300m of line.

What fish are you targeting? If you are targeting anything decent be aware if your spool capacity is 300m I personally would not have more that 200m of line out so you have an adequate reserve to play the fish.

Cheers

ray

25 minutes ago, rayke1938 said:

Just tried to find the specs for your combo.K mart sell them and only grade the rod as estuary and I doubt that the reel would carry 300m of line.

What fish are you targeting? If you are targeting anything decent be aware if your spool capacity is 300m I personally would not have more that 200m of line out so you have an adequate reserve to play the fish.

Cheers

ray

I honestly do not know what I am targeting, anything which is worth eating I guess, rich in protein.

I have zero clue what to target within 300m, I can buy a new line if need be, i do not know what bait, sinker to use. I am basically clueless... lol

18 minutes ago, dhingchakdude said:

I honestly do not know what I am targeting, anything which is worth eating I guess, rich in protein.

I have zero clue what to target within 300m, I can buy a new line if need be, i do not know what bait, sinker to use. I am basically clueless... lol

Well you have come to the right place. It is best to ask really specific questions when you can.

2 minutes ago, dhingchakdude said:

I would hold off on the drone and save your money till you get some experience under your belt with easier fish to target. Further out does not necessarily mean more fish,. The fish are where the cover/structure is and where they able to intercept food. Quite often this is right at your feet when fishing from shore not 300m meters out. My advice would be to start out catching say Flathead, bream, mullet, whiting on your outfit and then tackling larger species. There is plenty of fun to be had catching these fish and you can eat them as a bonus. 6 pound monofiliment line is cheap and will do the job.

A simple rig like small ball sinker that slides onto a brass swivel, then tie a small length of the line approximately 50cm to a small hook like below.

5ae6ccde0959b_images(1).jpg.e19d2a8d42987c9114e547897747511d.jpg 

This rig will catch you all of the fish above.

I already been fishing for like a month, and caught red mullet every time! lol

I use a heavy sinker, but where I live there are not that many fishes, the jetty where I go for fishing it only has squids and blue crabs which I do not like to eat.

I tried beach fishing but all I got was sea weed!  (i am using a 6feet 6 inch rod instead of a 10 feet beach rod...)

I already have a similar rig, its just that I want to catch something big like 5-6 pound fish, but do not know what bait to use.

I bought squidgy (insect) and never actually tried it. I also bought worms, but man they are expensive for everyday fishing, so I saw how to catch worm using stinky and I managed to get few heads out, but every time the waves came in and I could not get anymore heads of worms trying to reach the stinky... lol

My question is about bait, something which can be used over and over again without spending on worms everyday! 8$ is expensive for live worms and 6$ dollars for dead worms

I think part of the fun of fishing is experimenting with different things and gaining experience in your local areas, until you get it all worked out and nail fish regularly. I've seen people on here before doing running trip reports of their learning curve in their local spots - exactly what they did/ where they went, and how successful they were every trip. I for one have enjoyed reading their learning experiences and noted many people respond with helpful tips. 

10 hours ago, dhingchakdude said:

My question is about bait, something which can be used over and over again without spending on worms everyday! 8$ is expensive for live worms and 6$ dollars for dead worms

Probably snapper should be your target if you want larger fish. SA have plenty of good spots where you can target them.  They take most baits but fresh squid and fresh crabs are some of their favorites. if you know how to catch squid and crab you have your bait for free. It takes a bit longer but I find it part of the adventure. 

The rig above from Luvit is perfect for most of your fishing but you might want to up the thickness of your line and this might mean getting a bigger reel to hold enough.

Get to know your local tackle shops. I find the local ones and not BCF have people that will give you spots to target fish. Again be specific with your questions like "where is a good land based spot to target Snapper" "What strength line should I use there for Snapper" etc.

34 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Probably snapper should be your target if you want larger fish. SA have plenty of good spots where you can target them.  They take most baits but fresh squid and fresh crabs are some of their favorites. if you know how to catch squid and crab you have your bait for free. It takes a bit longer but I find it part of the adventure. 

The rig above from Luvit is perfect for most of your fishing but you might want to up the thickness of your line and this might mean getting a bigger reel to hold enough.

Get to know your local tackle shops. I find the local ones and not BCF have people that will give you spots to target fish. Again be specific with your questions like "where is a good land based spot to target Snapper" "What strength line should I use there for Snapper" etc.

Well lemme start with you, whats the best land based fishing spot in Brighton.... ?

What line should I use? Any recommendations? 

Can I catch a snapper within 300 m of a beach?

My house is about a 2000 km drive from Brighton.

Untitled.png.9ffc33600c4c5d035f6109befd726995.png

I would suggest chatting to locals. The link below is a facebook club that you could join. I don't know anyone from the club sorry but worth a shot. Looks like they target larger fish. Ask for decky spots :)

Adelaide Game Fishing Club

Up here I use 10lb line for snapper in the bay and 30lb offshore. You could use 15lb or even more from the beach. Keep your sinkers as small as possible but still be able to keep baits on the bottom.

i don't know if snapper come in close there or not. Give it a go. Use the baits I mentioned earlier and you will do ok. 

That lure you bought would be good for Australian salmon. Try that. 

I found this map it looks really good.

https://recfishsa.org.au/fishing-maps/

• 3 months later...

Archived