Gettin' Back Into It, Now In Tassie

AndyO

G'day all,

I did a lot of fishing as a kid in WA.  The old man lived just south of Geraldton for his last 30 years and had a 32 foot, marine-ply, ex-cray boat with a 6 cyl Perkins diesel in it.  That was great for choogin out and wetting a line for Dhufish, Snapper etc.  I also spent quite a bit of my growing up living in Broome so fishing was pretty much a must and in some ways I think I got 'fished out'.

Moved to Tassie 14 years ago, hadn't really wet a line until this summer.  Step-daughter has a boyfriend from WA who's a mad keen fisherman and it seems I have the bug again.  Loving this soft-plastics approach.  Less fussing with bait etc. and great fun trying out the different types.  I live in Hobart but we also have a shack down at Dover (Australia's 2nd most southern township).  When we bought the shack it had a 12 foot dinghy with a very old outboard with rather stripped gearing.  Bought a new outboard over summer and we've been taking the dinghy all around Port Esperance picking up Flathead, Wrasse, Aussie Salmon (Cockys) and a couple of Bream. 

Anzac Day was a glorious Tassie autumn day and found me fishing around Port Esperance from the shore and then at the mouth of the Esperance River [see pic].  Found a great little spot that I figured would probably be too shallow but brought in a couple of 35 - 38cm flatties [see pic] before I headed down to Southport.  Saw the best bit of 'lazy boating' I've ever seen.  Someone had launched their tinnie and just left the car and trailer sitting on the beach backed in waiting for their return [see pic] (wouldn't try that in Broome).  Tried a couple of spots and then headed to the boat ramp which sits right on the inlet to the Lune River.  Incoming tide, great current rushing past and hooked up quite a few.  First was a fighting Barracouta about 60cm that had something very wrong with it.  Spine was bent about four times so it looked like a slithering snake - didn't get a pic of that one unfortunately, one of the locals had his dog there and it was a bit too keen on the fish.  After that got a 35cm cocky [see pic] followed by a few Yakka (baby yellow-tailed Kingfish).  Happy to let all of these go although handed over the Yakkas to the local family as I was landing them.

I'm still getting to know the local species and it's a big change from 40lb breaking strain hand-reels, big hooks and fresh bait in Broome to a 6 foot rod with 4lb line and soft plastics, but I'm loving it!

Any Tassie folks on here who would like to give me some pointers or suggestions - it's all greatly appreciated.  I think I need to get myself a squid-jig next to pull in some of the local Calamari.

So, keen to keep an eye on what's happening around the state and around the country.  Cheers!

Cocky.jpg

EsperanceRiver.jpg

flatties.jpg

LazyBoating.jpg

Archived