Hello From Fnq, Freshwater Shrimp Q

RMJI

hello! i’m hoping this is the best forum for my query

my parents  used to harvest tiny freshwater shrimp in the creeks around colleges crossing in SEQ from time to time to feed their native fish tank. two questions:

• are there any waterways in the Cairns / Mareeba / Atherton area where similar shrimp can be found
  • if yes, tips on locations?
  • is it legal to take some?

Gday RMJI

Welcome to AFO

I am not overly familiar with that area sorry. Yes it is legal as long as you are not in a green zone.

Look for any weed beds. Shrimp traps are good but you can also use something like a pool scoop to drag along through the weed.

There will be plenty of shrimp in the area. Have an explore and again look for weed

Awesome, thanks drop bear. Yeh pool scoop sounds like a plan. I'll make sure to check for green zones before heading out.

And Ty too tiotony, that's great news I'm very close to freshwater creek

No worries, I'm from Redlynch but living in Singapore right now - used to get plenty of shrimp around Redlynch/ Kamerunga etc. to feed a mate's mangrove jack!

If you want bigger ones, go down at night with a torch - they come out of hiding at night, including really big cherabin.

On 5/10/2018 at 8:00 AM, RMJI said:

hello! i’m hoping this is the best forum for my query

my parents  used to harvest tiny freshwater shrimp in the creeks around colleges crossing in SEQ from time to time to feed their native fish tank. two questions:

• are there any waterways in the Cairns / Mareeba / Atherton area where similar shrimp can be found
  • if yes, tips on locations?
  • is it legal to take some?

I just remembered that we caught quite a few in the cast net off the jetty at Newel Beach boat ramp at the mouth of the Mossman river. Might be too far for you. 

I'm just looking for the ultra small freshies. I'm happy to do a day trip, we have containers and also keep battery operated aerators for power outages, so they're easily multi purposed in this scenario. 

I'd like to say I'm absolutely loving how much excellent and relevant feedback I got from my first question here - what a great community, thank you everyone!

5 hours ago, RMJI said:

I'm just looking for the ultra small freshies. I'm happy to do a day trip, we have containers and also keep battery operated aerators for power outages, so they're easily multi purposed in this scenario. 

I'd like to say I'm absolutely loving how much excellent and relevant feedback I got from my first question here - what a great community, thank you everyone!

Nice to hear mate. Let us know how you go with the prawns. We love to see photos and a bit of a report when people get out or around the water. 

Archived