Mother's Day

Luvit

On Mother's Day Julies wish was to go to Bribie Island and walk along the beach and spend time with the family and the newly adopted Kelpie "Dexter".

IMG_4797.thumb.jpg.6ac2fd388dfc5f8b95b52ccc2233d989.jpg

IMG_4790.thumb.jpg.8bd96798864be65dc077a21f1a319bad.jpg

Took this looking through my sunglasses, funny effect.

IMG_4787.thumb.jpg.c5d1f2f676faa489b550fe84c68a9017.jpg

The weather was fantastic with an offshore breeze which has flatten out the bay. The first thing I see when we come over the sand dune to the beach is busting up Tuna!

Well for the rest of the day we watched tuna, birds and bait fish jumping.

Late in the day we come across some guys shark fishing and dropping the baits out with a drone a few hundred meters. One guy was very friendly and told us they had lost a good size shark only 20 minutes earlier.

IMG_4793.thumb.jpg.f3da058e6b05b5f7b550e5c500c15749.jpg

IMG_4799.thumb.jpg.61373df519fc0c46beb7dd708c01b1c4.jpg

It was a great way to spend Mother's day.

Yes, the bay looked fantastic on Sunday, unfortunately ....... :frantics: I'd spotted that the winds were meant to drop for the afternoon and made a half-hearted enquiry with the household boss (SWMBO) about taking the boat out for a couple of hours in the arvo, but had it made VERY clear to me that it was Mothers Day ......

Turned up to Lota Park at 9am for brekky/brunch with both of our parents and my brother and his wife, and was amazed at how flat the water was. Was a bit of a breeze around but I hadn't taken much notice of the wind direction forecast as I couldn't go anyway - grrrr!!!!! 

Taking it for a spin this Sunday regardless of the wind (well, within reason ...). Planning on getting my bearings around the Shark Spit/Sandhills region and will troll a couple of lures and do as @Cobiaaddict said and search the contour lines so I can start to accumulate some decent marks to start trying.

It must be frustrating to have that new boat and not get it in the water, Kelvin. I was equally frustrated that Mums Day had to coincide with some of the best conditions of the last few weeks. Good luck on Sunday. I have tomorrow off so will head out in the morning on a grinner hunt. Report to follow.

Good luck Steve, I'll be thinking of you while I'm at work. I keep forgetting to take a look at the sounder for you (and it's been dark when I get home ...). Will do so and let you know. Went to do the bearings on the trailer and couldn't get the wheel off the hubs so took it to a trailer place to get it oxy welded, but they couldn't get in at it because of the design, so the trailer now has new springs, axle and wheels ........ and I'm a few dollars poorer .....  @Simo68 I'll give you a buzz the next day or two and see if you want to take a look on Saturday. Will also discuss price given the  above - the good news is the trailer is now in better condition :) Might be able to line up a quick spin in it down at Colmslie on Saturday at lunchtime if it suits, and Steve could come try his sounder at the same time, see what pans out.

11 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

It must be frustrating to have that new boat and not get it in the water, Kelvin. I was equally frustrated that Mums Day had to coincide with some of the best conditions of the last few weeks. Good luck on Sunday. I have tomorrow off so will head out in the morning on a grinner hunt. Report to follow.

Yay cant wait for the report. looks like a bit of a southerly. hope it works out nicely for you. 

12 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Taking it for a spin this Sunday regardless of the wind (well, within reason ...).

Shame you cant make that Saturday. METEYE shows South Easters are supposed to come in. It is still a while away so hopefully it will be mint by then :)

22 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Yes, the bay looked fantastic on Sunday, unfortunately ....... :frantics: I'd spotted that the winds were meant to drop for the afternoon and made a half-hearted enquiry with the household boss (SWMBO) about taking the boat out for a couple of hours in the arvo, but had it made VERY clear to me that it was Mothers Day ......

Turned up to Lota Park at 9am for brekky/brunch with both of our parents and my brother and his wife, and was amazed at how flat the water was. Was a bit of a breeze around but I hadn't taken much notice of the wind direction forecast as I couldn't go anyway - grrrr!!!!! 

Taking it for a spin this Sunday regardless of the wind (well, within reason ...). Planning on getting my bearings around the Shark Spit/Sandhills region and will troll a couple of lures and do as @Cobiaaddict said and search the contour lines so I can start to accumulate some decent marks to start trying.

Great place to start @kmcrosby78. There is some really good ground down that way.  Dont just look for ledges or drop offs. Moreton Bay has plenty of rubble/shells, Coffee rock and sandstone bottoms That hold fish at different times of the day and tidal phase. So if you do find a ledge  search hard in that vicinity as there is a reason why its there. Same if u find some hard bottom. There might be a ledge or drop off near by from dredging or some under water movement thats exposed that bottom.

Good luck on on the weekend. Ill be putting  in a few hours morinng and arvo both days in the bay trying to raise something 

12 hours ago, Cobiaaddict said:

Great place to start @kmcrosby78. There is some really good ground down that way.  Dont just look for ledges or drop offs. Moreton Bay has plenty of rubble/shells, Coffee rock and sandstone bottoms That hold fish at different times of the day and tidal phase. So if you do find a ledge  search hard in that vicinity as there is a reason why its there. Same if u find some hard bottom. There might be a ledge or drop off near by from dredging or some under water movement thats exposed that bottom.

Good luck on on the weekend. Ill be putting  in a few hours morinng and arvo both days in the bay trying to raise something 

Pro tip!

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 9:19 PM, Old Scaley said:

Saturday then, thanks mate.

@Simo68 and @Old Scaley, Saturday may not happen now sorry. Got home this arvo ready to hook the tinny up to go and book it in for tomorrow's service to find I have a flat tyre. Will let you know if I manage to sort it out in time but that's unlikely. Grrr!!!!

Archived