Jew Fishing Land Based

Tomdaley

Greetings all !

Last week I caught my first Jew fish near Hemmant and since then I can't stop thinking about catching another. I am pretty limited to where I go as I do not have a boat but will try anywhere at anytime ( have fished everyday/night for the past 2 weeks). 

I was thinking of heading out tonight with the run in tide to the Gateway and fishing the s/side. Havent tried there before so not sure what im for ...

I probably need some more gear but havent gotten around to that yet so I'm going with what I've got.

So I guess why I'm posting is to see if anyone has some advice for this area, if there is somewhere better to target Jew, or if anyone is keen for fish tonight.  

Cheers

Tom

All I could suggest to improve jewfish chances is if you can get your hands on live beach worms, and use a big bunch of them on slack water high tide. I know it sounds weird, but was told by Brisbane jew guns that they LOVE beach worms (even when not fishing in the surf), and it has worked for me extremely well in the Logan river when I've been down there on holidays - live prawns and mullet not getting touched but big bunch of beach worms getting hit in the slack water period every time. 

5 hours ago, tiotony said:

All I could suggest to improve jewfish chances is if you can get your hands on live beach worms, and use a big bunch of them on slack water high tide. I know it sounds weird, but was told by Brisbane jew guns that they LOVE beach worms (even when not fishing in the surf), and it has worked for me extremely well in the Logan river when I've been down there on holidays - live prawns and mullet not getting touched but big bunch of beach worms getting hit in the slack water period every time. 

Pro tip!

18 hours ago, tiotony said:

anyone know where you can buy live beach worms in Brisbane?

Thank you for the replies everyone ! 

@tiotony I tried live mullet and live prawns last night with no succes so will give your idea a go. Any other locations you know about that would be worth a try ? Apparently Norman Park ferry on the outgoing is productive.  @Drop BearIf you find out please let me know. 

@kmcrosby78Im using a Daiwa Gen Black 4-7KG with a Shimano Stradic CI4 reel, 20lb braid and 30lb leader 

Where I was getting them was land based in the Logan River at Rotary Park Road at Alberton. Mind you this was a few years ago on a holiday in Brisbane and I was staying fairly close by. I got the beach worms at Gem Bait & Tackle which is literally on the way there. There was only a very small bite window for about 20 minutes just on high tide (before and after slack water was bugger all). Was getting jew every high tide.

30-odd years ago when I lived in Brisbane, I used to also get occasional Jew under Barneys Point bridge at Tweed on late night high tides. 

Also, regularly there was some serious action on late night ebb tides on the downstream side of Boyds Bay bridge at Tweed - bait gets channeled through the narrow section where the bridge is, and the predators sat just outside the lit up areas downstream of the bridge. Would suggest making that drive on a new moon, planning to arrive on a late night slack water high tide and fish through the ebb - don't know if there's still enough mangroves left down there now to support a prawn population, but back in the day there used to be a 'prawn run' under those conditions and there was always predators smashing them under the bridge lights - if it still occurs I expect shallow diver hardbodies and high sticking prawn patterns (like Rio Prawn) would work a treat.  

Gateway south side in between concrete pylons, drop bait into that nice slack water area behind the water flow (watch out for rocks close to bank - usual LBG nightmare)...and you can drive right up to this area if you follow the road round as well, rather than walk along the path past the jetty/scaling station bit....good luck you are a dedicated fisher...send the pics through!!!

• 1 month later...

Came to this late. Ive caught them all the way to the Milton/toowong reach but best bet would be colder months. 

Try late at night once the city cats and boat traffic has died down after midnight and aim for the change of tide. 

Had the most success with live herrings but the bigger models have come on plastics or large diving lures, live prawns are good but often the threadys take them instead.

Look for areas that have structure, light and lots of eddies and youll be in for a good shot. I have also noticed that when guttin them they are often filled with Gar

5 hours ago, jred1 said:

Came to this late. Ive caught them all the way to the Milton/toowong reach but best bet would be colder months. 

Try late at night once the city cats and boat traffic has died down after midnight and aim for the change of tide. 

Had the most success with live herrings but the bigger models have come on plastics or large diving lures, live prawns are good but often the threadys take them instead.

Look for areas that have structure, light and lots of eddies and youll be in for a good shot. I have also noticed that when guttin them they are often filled with Gar

Nice mate. that is great info. Do you have any pics you could share? I love seeing fish being caught in the river. 

oh and not a bad by catch with the threadys 🙂

Archived