Pom Land Based Lure Fishing Pelagics In June

stephen selby

Hello i will be visiting townsville in june for 6 weeks from the uk and i will be land based lure fishing, i will be going for gts.queenfish and mackeral  etc,i will be doing  some camping as well ,so i am hoping to travel north and south of townsville  4 hours driving either way,would you still  get the macks and  queenies in june SOUTH of townsville,and do you need clear water for spinning, i dont expect any fishing  marks given to me,i just want a bit of help and advice so i can go fishing in the hope of catching  a fish of a lifetime, i will also try a couple of budget boat trips if i can afford them, and i will post a report when i return to the uk,many thanks

You should strike some beautiful weather (in general) for your stay mate (if you haven't been over here before you'll be amazed that it is our 'winter' .....).  @tiotony may be able to help with locations for that area and whether macks and queenies will likely be around. Good luck and enjoy the trip - looking forward to the report. Oh and obviously be wary of crocs ....... ;)

23 hours ago, stephen selby said:

Hello i will be visiting townsville in june for 6 weeks from the uk and i will be land based lure fishing, i will be going for gts.queenfish and mackeral  etc,i will be doing  some camping as well ,so i am hoping to travel north and south of townsville  4 hours driving either way,would you still  get the macks and  queenies in june SOUTH of townsville,and do you need clear water for spinning, i dont expect any fishing  marks given to me,i just want a bit of help and advice so i can go fishing in the hope of catching  a fish of a lifetime, i will also try a couple of budget boat trips if i can afford them, and i will post a report when i return to the uk,many thanks

Mate if you put in some time you will get plenty of fish. Feel free to ask for spots, we are pretty free with info here. I don't live up that way but have fished there a little. Someone who knows the area better should be along soon but in the mean time...

You will struggle to find clear water in any of that area but don't let that put you off. As it is inside the reef, most of the time water clarity is a bit murky. Fish still feed. Try and do a trip out to the outer reef for a swim, its really worth it.

The jetty at the esplanade is a very easy option and does ok. Fish with pilchards or lures. Try some bigger lures. Look for anywhere that has deep water and you are in with a good chance. Live bait will always get smashed but so will lures. 

Take a drive north to Lucinda Harbour. there is a huge jetty there with great options.

If you want to go with a charter I have done a few with Northern Conquest and they have always put me onto stacks of quality fish. I  highly recommend them. They often try and fill a boat at the last minute so if you can be flexible, sign up for there news letter and hopefully you will get a good trip that suits. They are not super cheap. This is their last minute special page.

http://mojito.createsend.com/t/ViewEmailArchive/y/7F583D14FEF8AB0D/C67FD2F38AC4859C/

They love to put people on to; large mouth nannygai, Coral Trout (not the UK type) and other reef species. 

http://www.nccharters.com.au/

There are plenty of other charters but I don't know them so wont recommend them but I am sure with a bit of a google you will find what you are after. 

Barramundi are more quiet at that time of year but they are still worth a shot at if you can spend some time. Just like @kmcrosby78 said, our local lizards are really worth watching out for. you wouldn't be the first tasty snack that has waded into the creeks. 

This page gives a general warning for a stack of things to look out for. I hope it doesn't put you off. Plenty of us live and fish here and incidents are rare especially if you take some simple precautions. 

http://www.cairnsunlimited.com/safetravel.htm

Don't do the sort of thing below and you be ok haha. 

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/crocodile-trap-trio-idiots-of-the-century-qld-mayor-says/news-story/fb1b632f919cb4f60bbb1de22d8da09d

There are many many places for you to go but I don't know them. Have a great time and please put up some pics and reports. We love hearing about it even if you don't catch much :)

Archived