Pb Moarie Cod And More

tugger

Got out with my son on Saturday he has been on to me to get out when the weather come good so we got our chance and took it. The conditions were perfect so we were soon at the bar after crossing a flat bay there was no waves at all and offshore was near perfect and we could cruise at 40km/hr outside.  

We jigged up a tank full of live yakkas then headed 1st to the waverider bouy where the dolphin fish were thick and fast. It is always fun hooking them as they are strong and get aerial we bagged out on these fish in under an hour so we tried a few reef spots nearby for some snapper and pearlies.

Brock got a nice Pearlie and I got a nice snapper then all we could get was little fish so we moved in a bit shallower. This spot is a great area with wireweed and hard structure perfect for pearlies, snapper, cod and tuskies.

The current was hardly running so I dropped a livie down and hooked something big stripping line off the reel before reefing me. I applied pressure and tried giving it slack line as well then took up the slack and I got him out of the reef. After turning it's head I got him away from the bottom and worked him to the surface and Brock netted my PB Moarie Cod.

I was rapped in this fish as they are 1 of my favourite table fish then we got back into fishing this area. Brock got another smaller cod and we got a couple more pearlies. We decided to move again in close to the headland where we could get more variety.

Here we started to catch Moses perch but the snapper were small so I had an idea to flush out the bigger models. With unwaited pillies we cast right out away from the boat and stripped even more line off till the snapper took the bait and run with it.

We got 2 more snapper like this and hooked something big which turned out to be a spangled emperor. It was time to call it a day and after another great trip back to the ramp we got home with a nice box of fish. We gave a couple of dollies to 2 nice chaps at the ramp who had struggled to get a feed and this was the pick taken at home of the final result minus them.

IMG_20180520_132407099.jpg

Just now, aussie123 said:

Very nice fish Mark.

You caught more than us and we were out for 2 days,lol

We could have got a few more pearlies and cod on that last reef but wanted to get to the rock for those Moses and any pelagics hanging around

3 hours ago, tugger said:

Thanks Josh there has been a few big Moses around and if you bleed those cod the fillet is pure white and top chewing

I got a spot just near Roberts shoal of cape moreton that we get cracking moses when it blows from the NW . But u have to keen to make the ugly trip across the bay. What kind of depth did the pearlies come from mate. I Been finding small pearlies around combyro pt when starting to look for snapper . Bloody things are pests on bait jigs

11 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I always look forward to your reports @tugger. You are a fishing machine. And remind me to arrive at the ramp at the same time as you one day. I love dollies. :worship:

If you're keen we can arrange a trip together the snapper offshore shore get bigger and more plentiful coming into winter

11 hours ago, Cobiaaddict said:

I got a spot just near Roberts shoal of cape moreton that we get cracking moses when it blows from the NW . But u have to keen to make the ugly trip across the bay. What kind of depth did the pearlies come from mate. I Been finding small pearlies around combyro pt when starting to look for snapper . Bloody things are pests on bait jigs

Only 50m on the inshore spot the 1st one came out of 70m but my son got a solid 60cm Pearlie from that inshore spot his last trip out

10 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Cracking haul of quality table fish there Mark and well done on pulling your PB cod back out of his hole. Eating like a king!!

Yeah I thought I was going to lose that cod to the reef but it was always worth trying a few tricks to get them out

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Yum!! Some good meals coming at your house mate. 

Solid Cod. They are a great fish.

I'm glad the dollies are still hanging around. Do they stay through winter? I'm pretty keen to see a 1.5m one like @luvit got. 

While the water temperature is still warm they will hang around it was 25 degrees on Saturday and normally it will stay warm enough through till mid winter

52 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Love to do that Mark. Would just need to synchronise days off and reasonable weather. Where there is a will there is a way. Thanks @tugger

I will keep in touch before each spell of good weather when I have days off and we should be able to swing a trip which you can make to

5 hours ago, Luke Landrunner said:

The father son combo slaying them. 

Well done Mark !

Will get down  that way one day. 

There is plenty of good ground out there and you get a lot of protection from the islands for most of the trip out, Brock is a top fisherman now he is hard to beat most of the time and lets me know about it.

7 hours ago, tugger said:

Got any plans for the holidays Kelvin should be a few good snapper around

Holidays looking nice and clear at this stage :) Not going anywhere so hopefully get the boat out quite a few times, including offshore :) You off work then Mark?

10 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Holidays looking nice and clear at this stage :) Not going anywhere so hopefully get the boat out quite a few times, including offshore :) You off work then Mark?

Yeah I have a bit of time off over the holidays hope to get out too

Archived