Fixing A Boat Trailer

Garfield28

G'day all, 

Just wondering if anyone on this forum has fixed up a boat trailer that had a bit or rust or found it not worth it and bought new or second hand? A new one will cost me nearly 5k 

My trailer is in need of repair mainly in what I guess you would call the undercarrige, the part that has the axle and spring connected to it,  and I'm contemplating having a go at buying some lengths of SHS and re-welding a new undercarriage and either get it hot dipped or buy it already pre-galed. 

Has anyone else here done something  similar or maybe more and found it cost effective and easy enough to do?  I'm hoping so and would love to hear what you did and possibly a few pics. 

Thanks 

Geoff

You cannot see it so well in the second pic so have placed arrows where the rust is pretty bad. But as you can see the whole undercarriage is bolted on so my plan was to redo a whole new section and put it on and get rid of the old rusted one if it is doable and makes sense money wise etc 

IMG20180527144543.jpg

IMG20180527144545.jpg

Nice one mate. You can cut off and replace cross members. Can you weld? One problem is that you will need to weld Galvanized which is fine but a little.. splatty? Tricky? Then you will need to use some antirust stuff like cold Gal paint on all the welds. There are quite a few options for anti rust but non of them are as good as proper hot dipped gal.

Trailers do bolt on bolt off and you can modify them a lot with a spanner. It looks like the section you are talking about just unbolts. If it does you could copy it in mild steel and have it hot dipped in Gal. That would be a great fix but I can't be sure without seeing it in person. Where are you? Do you have any trailer part places near by? Lots if not all trailers are brought in from overseas these days. they are in pieces and they put them together here. I don't know if they bring it the bits you want but it might be worth talking to some trailer people and see if they can supply bits for you?

Dunno if that helps. It looks like it is in not too bad condition. If you stick a screwdriver in all the rust and it flakes off I would be just cleaning it out with a wire brush on a grinder and cold galling the bejesus out of it. if there are holes in it its probably best to replace. 

Thanks drop bear.

Mate I live in Port Stephens, where are you at?

I'll try and get a better pic tomorrow but the rust in those areas are pretty bad, I already had a bloke tell me he won't pass it for a pink slip as the rust is too bad so I'll need to get at it. 

Don't really wanna buy the section made or have it done by a trailer place as I know they'll charge like a wounded bull. 

One cross member looks stuffed but the parts with the arrows look alright from what I can see from the pics.  As dropbear said get any flakes off. A tap with a hammer will loosen any up.  If it’s not too bad then you could weld plate along the sides to strengthen it up.

One crossmember will (almost definitely) need replacing. Hit the other ones with a wire brush on a grinder to assess how bad it actually is, just make sure you have a face sheild and a good dust mask.

I'll be doing the same with a twin axle soon, the crossmembers will be made out of C section though

3 minutes ago, Bloodzkull said:

One crossmember will (almost definitely) need replacing. Hit the other ones with a wire brush on a grinder to assess how bad it actually is, just make sure you have a face sheild and a good dust mask.

I'll be doing the same with a twin axle soon, the crossmembers will be made out of C section though

Thanks for the reply Bloodzkull. 

You have any pics of your trailer mate - and will you be doing all of the work yourself, or taking to someone to have it done?

Thanks 

Geoff 

3 hours ago, Garfield28 said:

Thanks for the reply Bloodzkull. 

You have any pics of your trailer mate - and will you be doing all of the work yourself, or taking to someone to have it done?

Thanks 

Geoff 

These are probably the best photos to show what I'm up against, all the crossmembers are cracked in the centre's too. The crossmembers will be basic mild steel cut in the centre to get the angle then welded together and fish plated.

New bolts, rollers, clean and grease the springs, new brake cable and possibly brakes and a new winch and I'm done. Should be a cheap project in the end, I bought the trailer as it site for $500

I'll be doing at least 90% of it myself. Might get someone else to make up the new crossmembers and weld them in if work doesn't ease up (working 6-7 days a week and 60+ hours while trying to renovate my house too)

641.jpeg

645.jpeg

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice one mate. Good to keep busy. doesn't leave much fishing time 🙂

Looks like a good trailer for $500

Will you hot dip gal the cross members? 

No time for fishing at all, except when I snuck a few pots in at work on a Sunday when no one was there 😂

The trailer was a lucky find after having one sold overnight when I had agreed to have it picked it up the next day.

I'm leaning towards no at this point, though that may change.

15 minutes ago, Bloodzkull said:

I'm leaning towards no at this point, though that may change.

Fair enough. If you make it so it is easy enough to get to you could keep the paint up to it. 

I hope you do well with the pots. there are a few around at the moment. 

25 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Fair enough. If you make it so it is easy enough to get to you could keep the paint up to it. 

I hope you do well with the pots. there are a few around at the moment. 

Thinking I'll thread that green soaker hose all through and around it so it will get a good wash and easy to get to.

Haven't out any in for a month or so but did very very well. Can't get to the creek without going through a gated and patrolled job site 😂

Got 5 like this one day, on catfood of all things (i forgot to grab bait the day before)

IMG_20180506_192837.jpg

IMG_20180506_151846.jpg

On 08/06/2018 at 11:58 AM, Garfield28 said:

Thanks for the pics bloodzkull. 

Are you a welder mate, or just a weekend welder with a heap of experience ? 

Also mate, what is the idea with the soaker hose, how is that set up and how does it work? 

Thanks 

Geoff 

Just a weekend welder. Have worked Ina fab shop for a little bit though. With this if I don't get a shop to do the braces I'll probably fab and then tack it in place and get a mate to weld it (he's a boily) unless I can convince the missus I need a new welder 😂

With the soaker hose I'll run it down pretty much each brace and inside the side rails etc with a hose connection at the front, the idea being after flushing the motor I'll just plug it in and it will wet down at leatlst the majority of the trailer.

I need to investigate some different types of hoses to see what will spray enough around

8 hours ago, Bloodzkull said:

Just a weekend welder. Have worked Ina fab shop for a little bit though. With this if I don't get a shop to do the braces I'll probably fab and then tack it in place and get a mate to weld it (he's a boily) unless I can convince the missus I need a new welder 😂

With the soaker hose I'll run it down pretty much each brace and inside the side rails etc with a hose connection at the front, the idea being after flushing the motor I'll just plug it in and it will wet down at leatlst the majority of the trailer.

I need to investigate some different types of hoses to see what will spray enough around

That's really interesting. I have normal 4 wall box section trailer and cant get the hose in. A permanent type soaker hose stuffed in there is a really interesting idea. hmmmm

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2018 at 7:19 AM, Drop Bear said:

That's really interesting. I have normal 4 wall box section trailer and cant get the hose in. A permanent type soaker hose stuffed in there is a really interesting idea. hmmmm

I did this when I refurb my trailer Rob. Awesome idea and it works a treat. I used 13l/h nozzle heads and put 6 in each side.

20180626_131852.jpg

That is an ingenious idea! Would sure help the lifespan of the trailer that's for sure.

With my trailer I'm starting to have second thoughts on refurbing it as I think my main outside support rail is rusting from the inside out. 

I've been looking the last couple of days at maybe buying a seatrail trailer... anyone own one or able to give any info on them if they are any good?

Thanks 

Geoff 

12 hours ago, Garfield28 said:

That is an ingenious idea! Would sure help the lifespan of the trailer that's for sure.

With my trailer I'm starting to have second thoughts on refurbing it as I think my main outside support rail is rusting from the inside out. 

I've been looking the last couple of days at maybe buying a seatrail trailer... anyone own one or able to give any info on them if they are any good?

Thanks 

Geoff 

Thanks. Not my idea though. Someone gave me the suggestion.

No good bout rust on the main frame. Definately good idea to replace. Can't help with Seatrail though, never herd of them. 

Look at the quality of parts, gal. If in doubt move on. Nothing wrong with getting second hand A frame and moving your running gear over. Can turn out for the better, price wise.

15 hours ago, Bloodzkull said:

Perfect mate exactly what I was thinking too.

Either that or I'm going to seal it up and fill it full of oil 😂

I know what my preference would be. The trailer under my old Stacer was 20 years old with no rust. Fully sealed is great!

post-11167-144598888083.jpg

Makes you wonder why they don't just make all trailers like that then .........? Going to have to have a good look over my Fisher's trailer to work out what I can do to help maximise it's lifespan. The previous owner had the back two crossbeams replaced (ie. new ones welded on) so it's in good shape currently, but I'm certainly interested to look at whether I can either add the hoses inside it or otherwise seal it and fill it with oil as they certainly seem good ideas.

Good thread this one 🙂 

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Makes you wonder why they don't just make all trailers like that then .........? Going to have to have a good look over my Fisher's trailer to work out what I can do to help maximise it's lifespan. The previous owner had the back two crossbeams replaced (ie. new ones welded on) so it's in good shape currently, but I'm certainly interested to look at whether I can either add the hoses inside it or otherwise seal it and fill it with oil as they certainly seem good ideas.

Good thread this one 🙂 

The oil method isn't legal anymore.

If one were to check a trailer for water tightness though they would plug back chassis rails and all holes in rails then fill with water from front. If nothing leaks you have a good trailer for sealing.

2 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Good thread this one 🙂 

Still waiting to see a piccie or have i missed it??

Anyone have reviews on Spitfire boat trailers? Got a price on a brand new full aluminum one with torsion springs, hydraulic brakes, LED lights, walk platform etc with boat fitted for $4550. I just don't know yet how long they have been around and how decent the trailers are

On 28/06/2018 at 7:56 PM, Garfield28 said:

Anyone have reviews on Spitfire boat trailers? Got a price on a brand new full aluminum one with torsion springs, hydraulic brakes, LED lights, walk platform etc with boat fitted for $4550. I just don't know yet how long they have been around and how decent the trailers are

I don't know them sorry. Most trailers seem to be imported now and just slapped together in Australia to suit the boat size and shape. 

If it is good quality gal and they are going to fit it well to your boat or you can do this I can't see why it would be a problem. 

@tugger got a great trailer for his boat. I don't remember what brand and cant find the pic... I will look for it in a sec. It is perfect except... the jocky wheel is a bit wonky. Crazy that they don't spend a tiny little bit more and finish them... otherwise people talk about them... on forums like this... to people like you that are about to buy a trailer. 🙂

14 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I don't know them sorry. Most trailers seem to be imported now and just slapped together in Australia to suit the boat size and shape. 

If it is good quality gal and they are going to fit it well to your boat or you can do this I can't see why it would be a problem. 

@tugger got a great trailer for his boat. I don't remember what brand and cant find the pic... I will look for it in a sec. It is perfect except... the jocky wheel is a bit wonky. Crazy that they don't spend a tiny little bit more and finish them... otherwise people talk about them... on forums like this... to people like you that are about to buy a trailer. 🙂

Cheers Drop Bear.

Sounds a bit like these seatrail trailers as they apparently have crap jockey wheels and the winch apparently isn't much good in them either. 

10 hours ago, Garfield28 said:

Cheers Drop Bear.

Sounds a bit like these seatrail trailers as they apparently have crap jockey wheels and the winch apparently isn't much good in them either. 

Certainly seems crazy for companies to finish their trailers off with cr@p fixtures and then risk bad publicity. Good luck with your search @Garfield28.

Impossible to get a sealed hot dipped trailer

They have to have drain holes in them so that they can sink into the molten galv bath.

A problem with cross members rusting out is that the drain hole in the v of the crossmember gets blocked and the cross member then holds salt water and rusts out from the inside I have had a look at only one imported chinese trailer and the cross members appear to be fully sealed so to my mind their galvanising process is suspect asthe trailer has not been hot dipped and possibly electroplated after assembly and the entire inside of the sealed box section would have no protection.

A lot of trailer manufactures recommend the washing down of a trailer as soon as it is removed from the salt ( ideally at the ramp) as when the salt water dries it leaves behind corrosive elements of salt.

Just because a trailer is galvanised does not mean that it is rust proof ideally you have to wash out the inside of the box sections as well as the exterior.

Here is a link with general info on galvaniing.

https://www.hartway.com.au/faqs/

Cheers

Ray

12 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Impossible to get a sealed hot dipped trailer

They have to have drain holes in them so that they can sink into the molten galv bath.

A problem with cross members rusting out is that the drain hole in the v of the crossmember gets blocked and the cross member then holds salt water and rusts out from the inside I have had a look at only one imported chinese trailer and the cross members appear to be fully sealed so to my mind their galvanising process is suspect asthe trailer has not been hot dipped and possibly electroplated after assembly and the entire inside of the sealed box section would have no protection.

A lot of trailer manufactures recommend the washing down of a trailer as soon as it is removed from the salt ( ideally at the ramp) as when the salt water dries it leaves behind corrosive elements of salt.

Just because a trailer is galvanised does not mean that it is rust proof ideally you have to wash out the inside of the box sections as well as the exterior.

Here is a link with general info on galvaniing.

https://www.hartway.com.au/faqs/

Cheers

Ray

Thanks for the info Ray

I really don't know what to do... I don't really have the coin for an Aussie built trailer, and don't really want second hand. I don't really understand why they cost so much for what they are! I would love to know how much per unit the Chinese ones are coz they still want $3000 for a standard 4.8 trailer single axle with cable brakes. 

I got a quote from a local dealer for a multi roller job, gal leaf springs, cable brake, single axle $4500 and a possible 6 - 7 week wait. 

11 hours ago, Garfield28 said:

Thanks for the info Ray

I really don't know what to do... I don't really have the coin for an Aussie built trailer, and don't really want second hand. I don't really understand why they cost so much for what they are! I would love to know how much per unit the Chinese ones are coz they still want $3000 for a standard 4.8 trailer single axle with cable brakes. 

I got a quote from a local dealer for a multi roller job, gal leaf springs, cable brake, single axle $4500 and a possible 6 - 7 week wait. 

Price is the quality and the labor involved. Checked the price of rollers and their hardware? I had to get 42 rollers for my new second hand trailer at 15 each!!

Don't discount second hand. If price is a factor can always buy one that needs work yet has a solid frame.

Archived