Offshore Saturday

tugger

The weather looks good to head offshore on Saturday it is the 1st day after the new moon so the moon phase doesn't get much better hope to see some big snapper and pearlies. Check your messages Steve 'old scalely' good trip to have a go this time.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, tugger said:

The weather looks good to head offshore on Saturday it is the 1st day after the new moon so the moon phase doesn't get much better hope to see some big snapper and pearlies. Check your messages Steve 'old scalely' good trip to have a go this time.

yes was thinking the same need to get a bit of salt in the lungs

Just now, Old Scaley said:

Just replied to your message @tugger. Keen as mustard. Just had snapper for dinner for the second night in a row and my wife had commented that she could eat fish 5 days a week. That was about 2 minutes before I read your pm so she could hardly say no to rearranging a couple of things this weekend. 

To easy we might be lucky and get some pearlies to go with the snapper will chat soon with details

23 minutes ago, Poddymullet said:

Yep looks good on the forecasts so far. Was thinking of trying to drift a couple of the channels (Pearl) with @Cobiaaddict method using the whiting frames 🙂 

Would love to try the Bulwer ledge though

7AE2BA4E-0B6D-425E-8A08-D11308C41162.png

6E4C2C95-044C-4FDF-9801-181A498EA202.png

Bulwer Ledge mate is a tricky area to fish. You might get 1hr either side of the tide change to fish it successfully after that the current will be running way to hard to catch a good snapper. The  Pearl channel and spit fire you will get about similar amounts of time.  Certainly give them a try mate. Try finding bait schools along the ledges of the spit fire between M2 and NW12 and drift those with live or dead yakkas as well. When the currents running harder. If i can manage my time ill be out saturday aswell. It will just depend as i have done a quick trip every day since last friday and im sure the chores are backing up😆. But then again if its anything to do with snapper 🤤 ill be out there.

58 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Just had snapper for dinner for the second night in a row and my wife had commented that she could eat fish 5 days a week.  

Oh dear, if only she'd married Mark ........... :whistle:  Good luck fellas, catch plenty (and learn plenty Steve - you'll have a ripper day with the master 🙂).

12 hours ago, Cobiaaddict said:

Bulwer Ledge mate is a tricky area to fish. You might get 1hr either side of the tide change to fish it successfully after that the current will be running way to hard to catch a good snapper. The  Pearl channel and spit fire you will get about similar amounts of time.  Certainly give them a try mate. Try finding bait schools along the ledges of the spit fire between M2 and NW12 and drift those with live or dead yakkas as well. When the currents running harder. If i can manage my time ill be out saturday aswell. It will just depend as i have done a quick trip every day since last friday and im sure the chores are backing up😆. But then again if its anything to do with snapper 🤤 ill be out there.

Pro tip. Thanks again Cobiaaddict. you are very generous with your info. Much appreciated. 

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:
16 hours ago, Cobiaaddict said:

Pro tip. Thanks again Cobiaaddict. you are very generous with your info. Much appreciated. 

Thanks guys ... weather is looking great in the morning so far wind wise...hmmm wouldn't mind trying find some spots further out in the bay...would love to get into some pelagic action but a bit late. Might give the ledge a miss this time round and try the channels. Thanks for the tip too @Cobiaaddict tight lines all 

Where about do you guys normally launch from? Scarb or Clontarf.

I've just upgraded boats and need to venture out a little further.

Also sorry for the lack of contribution to the forum. Need to be less stalky more talky. 

1 minute ago, STKE said:

Where about do you guys normally launch from? Scarb or Clontarf.

I've just upgraded boats and need to venture out a little further.

Also sorry for the lack of contribution to the forum. Need to be less stalky more talky. 

Hey STKE.

This lot mostly go out through the South Passage Bar so often from VMR Cleveland. This way you can get out of the wind for most of the trip as you can go north or south of Peel island.

I normally leave from Wynnum but that is only because I live here. You have to bash across a lot more open water but it is 30 min drive to Cleveland for me so I feel it makes up for having to go a little slower across the bay. 

From Brisbane if you go to Cape Moreton its better to leave from Port of Brisbane (south side of River)  or Nudgee  (north side of river)

OOPS.  I just re read that you said Scarborough or Clontarf... sorry I don't know what one is better.

I may have a Window on Saturday to get out n about. ( if the Wife permits) 

I did a trip out from Clontaff to Tangers a couple months ago, was 45mins to get there and 2 1/2 hours to get back. Very painful, apart from breaking down it couldn't have been worse. 

Did a trip out to the wrecks as well on the other side of bribie and did well but getting around the arse of bribie was very choppy. 

Still trying to figure out whats the best conditions to get out into the bay a bit more. 

2 hours ago, STKE said:

I may have a Window on Saturday to get out n about. ( if the Wife permits) 

I did a trip out from Clontaff to Tangers a couple months ago, was 45mins to get there and 2 1/2 hours to get back. Very painful, apart from breaking down it couldn't have been worse. 

Did a trip out to the wrecks as well on the other side of bribie and did well but getting around the arse of bribie was very choppy. 

Still trying to figure out whats the best conditions to get out into the bay a bit more. 

Scarborough is a good ramp,  Haven't used Clontarf since the upgrade and some times shallow on a low tide.

I use Spinnaker Sound at Bribie a far bit when heading to most Northern Bay areas or going around Cape Moreton .

Bottom of Bribie has been shocking lately ,  I think its silted up from the big southerly a little while back, It can be fun travelling through that area if you don't know it well.

Scarbs would be my pick for all round boat retrieval,pontoons ,parking & Coast guard services if required.

Forecast for Saturday is looking excellent with very light westerly winds tick, the moon phase is a day after the new moon another big tick, the barometer will be at 1022 and the old saying 1020 fish aplenty another tick, current is 1and a half knots now if that holds another tick all this points towards a promising day fish wise. You don't often have all the good signs line up for offshore so I am getting a bit excited bring on Saturday:fishing2:

59 minutes ago, straddiebrad said:

10 minutes ago, straddiebrad said:

yes i might take beers and get taxied around,might go a bit deeper too

The current is roaring out wide I was just at Lances today looking at that it is good in close

Archived