Offshore Saturday

tugger

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 13/06/2018 at 1:24 PM, STKE said:

On 13/06/2018 at 1:24 PM, STKE said:

I did a trip out from Clontaff to Tangers a couple months ago, was 45mins to get there and 2 1/2 hours to get back. Very painful, apart from breaking down it couldn't have been worse. 

Did a trip out to the wrecks as well on the other side of bribie and did well but getting around the arse of bribie was very choppy. 

If I’m heading to the tanga wrecks or fishing  bulwer, curtains etc I leave from the Bongaree Ramp near the IGA on Bribie.   Not really suitable for large boats especially at low tide (I think the southern ramp might be a little longer)

I have found the southern tip of Bribie to be a washing machine early morning nearly every time I go through.  

Havent been out there in a while as I’m closer to mooloolaba and only have to travel a few kms out to hit reef. 

1 hour ago, aussie123 said:

I think Kelvin is a Northsider so VB will be too strong for him.

Better get him a light ale :frantics:

Murarrie ..... wash your mouth out (with VB if you must .... 🙂) Lance, I'm a proud member of the undefeated two-time champs (and hoping to contribute with a mackerel, whiting and possibly a bream over the weekend 🙂).

1 minute ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Murarrie ..... wash your mouth out (with VB if you must .... 🙂) Lance, I'm a proud member of the undefeated two-time champs (and hoping to contribute with a mackerel, whiting and possibly a bream over the weekend 🙂).

hahahaha, sorry mate, I wasn't real sure so that's why i said " I Think "

VB it is then,  a real drink for a real fisherman 😂😂😂

Plenty of mackies caught in the bay the past few days, especially today.

Also plenty of winteries being caught but I am not sure on the locations.

All good, 'I think' I forgive you 🙂 Yeah sounds like plenty about - haven't tried for the whiting yet but will try to nab a few as want to start doing that with the kids and sounds like the mackerel are coming in closer as the size of the tides drop back so hopefully find a few.

9 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Also plenty of winteries being caught but I am not sure on the locations.

PM me if anyone wants a whiting GPS where they have been getting them at the Rouse.

They have been in 4 to 5 m of water. I have targeted them in 2 to 3m before... perhaps that is why i have never gotten a cricket score of them. 

9 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

All good, 'I think' I forgive you 🙂 Yeah sounds like plenty about - haven't tried for the whiting yet but will try to nab a few as want to start doing that with the kids and sounds like the mackerel are coming in closer as the size of the tides drop back so hopefully find a few.

The westerly winds we have been having should bring the Macks closer in. I will chuck in a rod for them Tomorrow. Hopefully they show their heads 🙂

17 hours ago, tugger said:

Forecast for Saturday is looking excellent with very light westerly winds tick, the moon phase is a day after the new moon another big tick, the barometer will be at 1022 and the old saying 1020 fish aplenty another tick, current is 1and a half knots now if that holds another tick all this points towards a promising day fish wise. You don't often have all the good signs line up for offshore so I am getting a bit excited bring on Saturday:fishing2:

@tugger totally agree...it is looking like a perfect Saturday for nearly any boat...

But where to go? I was going to try along Bulwer ledge but have been advised it's hit an miss with currents / tides. Wonder if I should finally make a stab at Curtain then head down to Tanga and the beacons? Cruising in my orange Horizon Scorpion 525 ... or should I give a shot at fishing on the tip of Moreton? All new spots to me ... any advice much appreciated and the occasional mark 😛 (cheeky)

Cmon Northside we have to win 

image.thumb.png.4c38e8acca254df7b491759b2857f78d.png

46 minutes ago, Poddymullet said:

@tugger totally agree...it is looking like a perfect Saturday for nearly any boat...

But where to go? I was going to try along Bulwer ledge but have been advised it's hit an miss with currents / tides. Wonder if I should finally make a stab at Curtain then head down to Tanga and the beacons? Cruising in my orange Horizon Scorpion 525 ... or should I give a shot at fishing on the tip of Moreton? All new spots to me ... any advice much appreciated and the occasional mark 😛 (cheeky)

Try Cape Moreton? Lot's of nice ground up there. Last year I got my 80+ Snapper from that area in Round 1 of this comp to I think.... Shallow Tempest if memory serves me right. 

2 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

I have the same Delimma as you, i was thinking of that suggestion of the pearl channel and than maybe cape if my balls are big enough. 

5.2m Formosa, but only a 70l tank so I can't go to far. 

I'm thinking that Curtain may be a car park. 

14 hours ago, Doyley said:

I have found the southern tip of Bribie to be a washing machine early morning nearly every time I go through.  

Nothings changed mate, still a washing machine,  I washed the prop in some sand for the 1st ever the other night coming home on the high tide.  I have used the same GPS trail pretty much since last August when I got the Surtees .  She will be a washing machine in morning with the SW for sure especially after 6am  when that tide start to run in 

1 hour ago, STKE said:

I have the same Delimma as you, i was thinking of that suggestion of the pearl channel and than maybe cape if my balls are big enough. 

5.2m Formosa, but only a 70l tank so I can't go to far. 

I'm thinking that Curtain may be a car park. 

@STKE yeah you most probably right on Curtain being a carpark...where you launching from? I hear you on balls being big enough ... haven't done that yet so freaking out a bit. Maybe we can head in the same direction together? Although you will more than likely smoke me in the Formosa ... SC or Cab?

5 minutes ago, Poddymullet said:

@STKE yeah you most probably right on Curtain being a carpark...where you launching from? I hear you on balls being big enough ... haven't done that yet so freaking out a bit. Maybe we can head in the same direction together? Although you will more than likely smoke me in the Formosa ... SC or Cab?

Use to take my 4.8 from fishermans to Deep Tempest. Carry extra fuel. It's not about big balls but being a good, safe skipper. It's all safe and within reach.

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

PM me if anyone wants a whiting GPS where they have been getting them at the Rouse.

They have been in 4 to 5 m of water. I have targeted them in 2 to 3m before... perhaps that is why i have never gotten a cricket score of them. 

mmmmmm Snapper baits 😋

4 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

I have a 5.35m allycraft practically the same size as your boat and have been offshore fishing in it for 15yrs now you just pick the weather to suit like we will get on Saturday. I don't fish around the northern end of Moreton island so don't know it compared to running out through south passage bar which I know well it has more protection with the islands leaving Cleveland to the bar. Top end of the bay is to open for me hence why I keep leaving out from Cleveland and fishing is good with plenty of reefs offshore from SPB.

52 minutes ago, Poddymullet said:

Will be heading off from scarb around 5:30ish. Center Console. 

Depending on conditions I think my plan will be pearl channel than through some slugs around the markers. Gota be home before lunch, so can't be out all day. 

Say G'day if you see me

Callum 

46 minutes ago, demarc said:

Use to take my 4.8 from fishermans to Deep Tempest. Carry extra fuel. It's not about big balls but being a good, safe skipper. It's all safe and within reach.

Agree but I haven't had this new boat long so still getting use to it's limits. 

7 minutes ago, tugger said:

I have a 5.35m allycraft practically the same size as your boat and have been offshore fishing in it for 15yrs now you just pick the weather to suit like we will get on Saturday. I don't fish around the northern end of Moreton island so don't know it compared to running out through south passage bar which I know well it has more protection with the islands leaving Cleveland to the bar. Top end of the bay is to open for me hence why I keep leaving out from Cleveland and fishing is good with plenty of reefs offshore from SPB.

That's the thing that sucks about living on the northside. Not a lot of options, unless you feel like a drive. 

1 minute ago, STKE said:

That's the thing that sucks about living on the northside. Not a lot of options, unless you feel like a drive. 

The weather is good tomorrow. Just have a go somewhere you feel comfortable. Like demac said take extra fuel if you are worried. 

I have 2 10ltr cans and can get home from anywhere on just these. 

37 minutes ago, STKE said:

Will be heading off from scarb around 5:30ish. Center Console. 

Depending on conditions I think my plan will be pearl channel than through some slugs around the markers. Gota be home before lunch, so can't be out all day. 

Say G'day if you see me

Callum 

Agree but I haven't had this new boat long so still getting use to it's limits. 

One way to find out mate. As long as you have VHF and epirb. So much ground at the Cape, even in close like Yellow Patch.

Schoolies are every where atm if you wanna target bay. Find a nice beacon in bay and jig em up!

36 minutes ago, straddiebrad said:

to the southsiders if your chasing macs they are getting them around the beacons at bulwar but dont tell the north siders.😎

Glad there are no Northsiders reading this 🙂 

I guess I’ll bite the bullet and give the northern beacons a shot too. I tend to always hit the measured mile the across to Tanga or the 4 beacons. 

@STKE will give you a shout for sure. Hope to be there at around same time. 

Cheers Luke

43 minutes ago, straddiebrad said:

to the southsiders if your chasing macs they are getting them around the beacons at bulwar but dont tell the north siders.😎

Since you're so far south you won't know that there are macs on the wrecks just off bribie beach. 

38 minutes ago, STKE said:

Since you're so far south you won't know that there are macs on the wrecks just off bribie beach. 

And just off Green Island ....... 🙂  Good banter fellas - one of the big bonuses of our yearly SOO event. Sounds like I could have a bit of pelagic competition 🙂 

8 hours ago, STKE said:

northern bay once again washing machine and very painful return trip from curtin. should have stayed close or gone to mooloolaba

Congrats for trying. Was lumpier then I expected this morn too. Ditto for this arvo. Offshore glassed out when the sun rose. Current was 2knts before sun rise then dropped to .5 for most of the day.

I know that not everyone had a great day out yesterday, but I have to say that I had a sensational day offshore with @tugger and his son Brock. I was so happy that Mark had offered me a spot for the day that even if we caught nothing it was going to be a good day.

like a good deckie, I got to Mark’s place early (4.30am) and we met up with @straddiebrad and @demarc at the ramp. Nice to meet you Brad, and to see Julian again. The armada set off across the Bay in the dark, arriving at a very calm Bay right on first light. We all slipped out into the ocean and headed to the bait ground to get a few livies. With livies gathered, Brad and Julian headed north to the 33s while Mark headed over to some new ground, let’s call it Mark’s mark. Mark had  a few bust offs on monsters of the deep at his new spot but the current was making things hard.

So, off we went to check in with the boys at the 33s. Fishing was patchy but we did put a few snaps and a couple of pearlies in the box. We persevered for a while then Mark decided we should head to Tugger Rock. Good call. We anchored up and got a steady stream of trevallies that fought above their weight class and some pan size snaps.

Close to knock off time, Mark made another good call to have a drift through that area. Tugger and son had some big hits and landed a few good snapper while my mojo ran out and I couldn't lose a bait. Once we had our bag of snapper, it was home time after about 11 hours on the water. The boys were very kind with the distribution of the catch and I have been busy today filleting and bagging some delicious morsels. Pearl perch tonight - yum!

Not too many photos sorry. Here is the catch

Here is Mark hooked up (again)

Also saw heaps of whales, some were very close but disappeared as soon as I got the camera loaded.

Thanks again Mark. It was a top day out and I learnt heaps.

80AE4FCA-D647-40AC-AC19-E677C136BA58.jpeg

2AD1F183-BCFB-4A87-8FAA-9F5D1B0FAE0E.jpeg

E0F05859-668E-4836-8E32-141F1898E667.jpeg

On 16/06/2018 at 9:03 AM, STKE said:

northern bay once again washing machine and very painful return trip from curtin. should have stayed close or gone to mooloolaba

Yeah totally agree. I was broken by the time I got back. Should have stayed close to north reef and drifted towards Redcliffe. Next time for sure

5 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I know that not everyone had a great day out yesterday, but I have to say that I had a sensational day offshore with @tugger and his son Brock. I was so happy that Mark had offered me a spot for the day that even if we caught nothing it was going to be a good day.

like a good deckie, I got to Mark’s place early (4.30am) and we met up with @straddiebrad and @demarc at the ramp. Nice to meet you Brad, and to see Julian again. The armada set off across the Bay in the dark, arriving at a very calm Bay right on first light. We all slipped out into the ocean and headed to the bait ground to get a few livies. With livies gathered, Brad and Julian headed north to the 33s while Mark headed over to some new ground, let’s call it Mark’s mark. Mark had  a few bust offs on monsters of the deep at his new spot but the current was making things hard.

So, off we went to check in with the boys at the 33s. Fishing was patchy but we did put a few snaps and a couple of pearlies in the box. We persevered for a while then Mark decided we should head to Tugger Rock. Good call. We anchored up and got a steady stream of trevallies that fought above their weight class and some pan size snaps.

Close to knock off time, Mark made another good call to have a drift through that area. Tugger and son had some big hits and landed a few good snapper while my mojo ran out and I couldn't lose a bait. Once we had our bag of snapper, it was home time after about 11 hours on the water. The boys were very kind with the distribution of the catch and I have been busy today filleting and bagging some delicious morsels. Pearl perch tonight - yum!

Not too many photos sorry. Here is the catch

Here is Mark hooked up (again)

Also saw heaps of whales, some were very close but disappeared as soon as I got the camera loaded.

Thanks again Mark. It was a top day out and I learnt heaps.

80AE4FCA-D647-40AC-AC19-E677C136BA58.jpeg

2AD1F183-BCFB-4A87-8FAA-9F5D1B0FAE0E.jpeg

E0F05859-668E-4836-8E32-141F1898E667.jpeg

With the weather prediction not spot on we got a bit wet without my clears I have the boat booked in for a new Bimini and clears as the old top is torn. Apart from that the fish finally got interested in our bait and we did put together a nice box of snapper and pearlies. Hope you enjoyed the trip Steve thanks for the company did you have any fish yet we had fresh snapper for dinner and it was delicious. 

Archived