Crocodiles Kids Kayaks

swmcl

Hi all,

I've just been talking to a caravan park receptionist and have been gently warned of putting kids in kayaks near Rockhampton because of crocodiles.  Do any of this community go kayaking up north in australia ?  Is kayaking a more southerly activity ?

Experiences of kayaks and crocodiles welcome !

Cheers,

Steve

Its a pretty good question. I would not Kayak in croc country.

We did a trip around Australia with our kids 9 y/o and 11 y/o a few years back. We had a 3.7m tinny with 15HP. I would not go in those waters in anything smaller and would recommend something bigger. We saw plenty of Crocs and they are very intimidating. 

I do not personally know the Rockhampton area and how the crocs are.

Crocs are normally afraid of boats but this is changing as there are plenty of people feeding them. 

While im sure "the morning bulletin" is in the business of outrage and exaggeration like all other media there seems to be plenty around so it sounds like it is good advice that you got from the caravan park receptionist. 

https://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/rocky-croc-map-confirmed-sightings-after-kings-kil/3228539/#/0

https://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/rocky-croc-map-confirmed-sightings-after-kings-kil/3228539/#/0

So mate up to you but I wouldn't.

Cheers.

It looks as though the kayaking might stop at about Hervey Bay ...

The American crocodile shows might have to shift up a gear to tackle these puppies.  I'd like to see some 'crocodile wrestling' of that 5.2m chappie eh !!

1 hour ago, swmcl said:

Cheers.

It looks as though the kayaking might stop at about Hervey Bay ...

The American crocodile shows might have to shift up a gear to tackle these puppies.  I'd like to see some 'crocodile wrestling' of that 5.2m chappie eh !!

haha do I get to pick the Americans that have to wrestle them? 😛

OK then ... so you lot have buggered up my plans ...

So how the hell do you fish in the northern waters then ?

Is it all boat or nothing ?

I'm originally from WA and most towns used to have a jetty.  There are very few jetties in QLD and also NSW from what I've seen.  Beach fishing is a remote possibility in WA - it needs to be the right beach and away from wind - but at least there are only crocs well up north (say Karratha onwards but more Derby)

Primary goal is to get a fish on the line for my son and daughter - hence the kayak build.

Yes we are well aware of Hervey Bay.  Hervey Bay jetty has ferocious winds and tides but the fishing for little tiddlers is good.  What about in the river at Noosa ?  We are trying to go north to the warmer waters and the bigger and more plentiful fish so haven't thought about another trip to Noosa.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, swmcl said:

OK then ... so you lot have buggered up my plans ...

So how the hell do you fish in the northern waters then ?

With a great deal of caution. Generally the further south you go, the safer you are. Crocs have been sighted and caught in the Mary River but have not harassed humans to the best of my knowledge. There are also reliable sightings on Fraser Island but very rare. Once you get into real croc country in FNQ, you can fish from the beach but try to stick to beaches with clear water so you can see any big critters hanging around. Even then, stand well back from the water and keep a good eye out. Fishing from small boats is pretty safe but won’t be for much longer if these croc tour boats keep teaching them to associate boats with food.

You will love it up north, just take more care than you might somewhere else. Talk to the locals. Once they finish trying to scare you to death they will have good local knowledge to help you out.

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/results/?q=(((((Service%3D[boatsales]%26BoatType%3D[Power])%26Price%3Drange[1..5000])%26Usage%3D[Fishing])%26State%3D[Queensland])%26BoatAll%3Dkeyword[tinny])

There are soooo many small tinnys on the market at the moment. Very cheap and good. If you hunt around you will find a good one for $1000.  

And I agree with everything Old Scaley said. 

Hmmmm.  I saw a 4.2m 2016 Bluefin Rogue plate dinghy the other day.  It is sold now.  They were advertising it at $7500 which I thought was an OK price considering.

I'm going to ask another question in another thread now ...

On 19/06/2018 at 10:37 AM, swmcl said:

Hmmmm.  I saw a 4.2m 2016 Bluefin Rogue plate dinghy the other day.  It is sold now.  They were advertising it at $7500 which I thought was an OK price considering.

I'm going to ask another question in another thread now ...

If that had a motor and trailer that is super cheap. 

Archived