Northern Moreton Bay Saturday 16 June 2018

Poddymullet

Well...that didn't go the way I was hoping given all the hype around a great day for heading offshore. 

Left Scarborough around 6.15am (bit later than I had hoped) and headed towards the northern beacons M4 etc (first time) hoping to get into some Macks. Then was planning on heading a bit further out and try a couple of the reefs. 

Was only 10 mins into the trip and started to hit the chop and was getting thrown around a fair bit ... must off been the SW pushing against the incoming tide. Decided to push through but by the time I got the main channel I felt flogged plus it was blowing a bit. 

Slight change of plans as I was on my own so headed to M4 to see if anything was around ... donuts and then hit every beacon on the way to Tangas...nothing but small pinkys and it was pretty bouncy so decided to sit at Tangas for a bit but current was ripping through. 

Couple of drift past the cars to no avail...someone was already parked on top 😞

So headed off to the measured mile...plenty of bait fish around but only 2 boats and the one tied off to the beacon had been there for 4 hours for nothing. 

Stayed for an hour to get some more bait for the freezer then pulled up stumps and headed for home. Stopped on the way to get a feed of whiting then waited 15 mins at the ramp it was that busy. 

Home by 2.30 and totally flogged...seriously got to myself a boat that I can trust in the chop...

How did everyone else go? 

p.s. sorry Northside ... nothing to contribute really to the comp

Yeah mate. Little quiet for us as well. We had a shocker start to morning with one decky sleeping in. I left the boat keys at home and had to head back Get keys and the sleeping decky called and was on his way.  We left spinnaker sound just after 6am  and had 1st lines in the water at Caloundra wide smack bang on 7am. Ended up with 4 squire, 2 sweetlip from the 12 mile and a oval cod from the wild banks artificial . Before having a 55kmh run back to the ramp and back home and cleaned up by 2pm. 

It was a strange day wind wise down south too.

Kooringal was stunning with no wind. Rainbow had a very strange little chop as if it was wind against tide but there was virtually no wind. We had lunch at Dunwich with again virtually no wind then headed back to Wynnum via south of Peel as the northerly got up.

Bumpy ride home but not bad really. 

11 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

Weird alright! I was speaking with keen fisho at work with a 625CC and he said the SPB was smooth and then offshore was fine. 

Strange day indeed...got to try Southside soon or maybe just do the drive to Mooloolaba 🙂

If the wind has any westerly in it Mooloolaba should be pretty flat.

Archived