New Boat

Hunter69

Hi im about to purchase my first new boat. Im looking at a quintrex busta 420. I have 2 options at the same price. Option 1 has a Yamaha 25hp 4 stroke. Option 2 with a honda 30 hp 4 stroke. I like the idea of extra 5 hp but it also weighs 30kg more. The Yamaha seems a bit smarter. I cant decide. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joel.

On 19/06/2018 at 3:24 PM, demarc said:

It is a very hard choice. I'd compare the block size in ltrs of both and make my choice from there. Also I'd be checking of the HP figure for both is at the prop or flywheel. 

I though everything standardized as readings at the prop now?

See if you can find a power curve for both motors but at face value the 25 seems the way to go

Yeah i did look at stessco. It was not carpeted and no wide sides. This had the 30hp Honda. I though when i go to sell the boat down the track the name quintrex might help it move for me. Where as alot of people havent herd of stessco and might find it hard to sell. Well ive never herd of it until i checked it out. Made in the same warehouse tho i think.

Cheers

I'd do some thorough research/comparisons of the different motor options in that size range. Owning a 4.2m tinny myself, with a 30hp two-stroke Johnson, I'd be maximising the horsepower where possible (ie. if you could find a 30hp option that offers better cc for not much weight increase I'd be going with that). I'd also investigate 40hp options - depending how many people you want to transport, the extra hp may come in handy. Obviously check what the hull is rated to. I'd imagine the 4-strokes available today would weigh less than my old Johnson so therefore you should be able to put at least a 30hp on it without worrying about it's weight. I'm no expert on this, and haven't looked up all the facts/figures/weights, but it would be worth checking out.

Agree with going for max HP where possible ... haven't checked the specs but have heard the Honda's have better torque than the Yamy...

30kg is a lot but if it means you can push weight more on the plane go for it.

Any reason you don't want get a direct injection 2stroke in that size boat? I had a Tohatsu Direct Injection 50HP on my 4.5 horizon runabout and it purred and pushed it along http://www.tohatsu.com.au/content/m40d2 

20kg lighter than the Yamy and should save you heaps  in dollars with all the get and go you want 

Hi poddy thanks for your input. Ive decided to lean towards 4 stroke to reduce noise and that smell. 4 stroke just seems the way as new 2 strokes are slowly phasing out. Im also limited to total weight as my car is only allowed 600kg total tow weight. So i need to be careful in that area. The new Yamaha is fuel injected. The 4 stroke also looks great. I have chosen the 4 stroke. And yes it has cost a little more.  Thanks for your advice. 

Cheers

7 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

Hi poddy thanks for your input. Ive decided to lean towards 4 stroke to reduce noise and that smell. 4 stroke just seems the way as new 2 strokes are slowly phasing out. Im also limited to total weight as my car is only allowed 600kg total tow weight. So i need to be careful in that area. The new Yamaha is fuel injected. The 4 stroke also looks great. I have chosen the 4 stroke. And yes it has cost a little more.  Thanks for your advice. 

Cheers

4stroke all the way mate. much better in lots of ways. congratulations. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 29/10/2018 at 8:49 PM, Miko78 said:

It is really a good choice. Recently I bought a good boat, Princess 55 Flybridge. The boat itself is great but I can`t say the same about the seller. Here is my review about the seller https://princess55fly.blogspot.com/p/home.html , I`m really disappointed with him. 

"I have not been able to enjoy my new boat as I dreamed of, except for a few occasional weekends when I could find a window between repair works. This was a huge disappointment for me and my family after having invested approximately 2M EUR in total including 240K EUR worth of retrofitted items for a "brand new" boat."

------------------------------------------

Geeze mate thats no good. Is it working out for you now? 2m EUR... wowsers. 

On 19/06/2018 at 10:45 AM, Hunter69 said:

Hi im about to purchase my first new boat. Im looking at a quintrex busta 420. I have 2 options at the same price. Option 1 has a Yamaha 25hp 4 stroke. Option 2 with a honda 30 hp 4 stroke. I like the idea of extra 5 hp but it also weighs 30kg more. The Yamaha seems a bit smarter. I cant decide. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joel.

my busta has a 30 Etec and gets 46km wot, very happy with it.

On 29/10/2018 at 8:49 PM, Miko78 said:

It is really a good choice. Recently I bought a good boat, Princess 55 Flybridge. The boat itself is great but I can`t say the same about the seller. Here is my review about the seller https://princess55fly.blogspot.com/p/home.html , I`m really disappointed with him. 

Sounds like a lemon! Hope you have had more luck! 

Archived