Trim Tabs + Squid Lights

demarc

Something my boat has needed is trim tabs. With left over Stanage funds I ended up buying the biggest Lencos I could fit. Got 9x12s from Aussie123, thanks Lance.

Got started installing in weekend.

signal-2018-06-13-185837.thumb.jpg.2feefb25891a50864073dc7220588481.jpg

First job was to clean transom from old screws and remove 600watt tranny. I removed screws, redrilled holes to 5mm. I then used gel coat putty to fill. Transom then got sanded to 2000 wet n dry. I then applied fresh polish. Next was to drill new holes for trim plates. Weird cleaning transom from holes only to put new ones in!!

20180626_131821.thumb.jpg.44a21a307f941865b61d6104e2469937.jpg

Same side shown above, but cleaned up. I then mounted the tabs in place, I used sikaflex to bed the tabs and the screws.

20180626_141317.thumb.jpg.e92145b46bd04b702e11d20b6d95167e.jpg

I then mounted the rams so I could drill the holes in the duckboard. 

20180626_145844.thumb.jpg.bcb74e6ab179b9d22fb4311540d1d18d.jpg

20180627_140341.thumb.jpg.9b28879911f508586c37fee4ec22a741.jpg

With rams installed I could cut duckboards to fit them through. I then fitted the Squid lights to the transom.

20180627_115519.thumb.jpg.ee0207bd9268c441bd1f544289005ae0.jpg20180627_140351.thumb.jpg.a9a8603d859bfec87510156d828b7855.jpg

This weekend I shall mount rams to transom, connect squid lights and raise the engine a hole.

Will post more pics when complete!

Cheers!

21 minutes ago, straddiebrad said:

I was thinking of lights for the back of mine seen relx ones for 120 each thay look good.

These were above $10 and under $30... Those relax ones I think are 18watts. Hopefully blind the fish!!! Will be good, that's for sure.

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

looks great mate. I didn't know that tip for filling holes. That is a cracker. 

I'd love a squid light on my tinny... Dunno where I would mount it and not be blinded by it however. 

No wuckers mate. It's something I learnt a while a go. 

My squid lights are sikaflexed on. You could do the same and run wires over transom.

In other news, someone viewing boat next week.

1 hour ago, demarc said:

My squid lights are sikaflexed on. You could do the same and run wires over transom.

good to hear mate hope all goes well,just orderd my lights of lance

1 hour ago, demarc said:

Got a link to the boat? 

1 hour ago, Luvit said:

Got a link to the boat? 

My boat? Sorry if my reply was confusing. Someine is coming to look at mine. Only if it sells, I have a boat in Sydney I wanna look at when I am down. Hardtop Trophy 2052. Ticks all the requirements I have. Enclosed Hardtop, good electronics, lockable cabin and good size fuel tank.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lalor-park/motorboats-powerboats/trophy-2052/1185159484

Hard when you find a great boat to not do something silly like get a loan to grab it...

Just now, Drop Bear said:

you will use it mate

Yes. I just would like to do it properly. Sell mine then buy a new one. Not get new one then continue selling mine and take the chance selling it too cheap out of desperation. Been there, done that and regret it.

28 minutes ago, demarc said:

Yes. I just would like to do it properly. Sell mine then buy a new one. Not get new one then continue selling mine and take the chance selling it too cheap out of desperation. Been there, done that and regret it.

good call. its hard to be patient. 

On 01/07/2018 at 2:15 PM, demarc said:

My boat? Sorry if my reply was confusing. Someine is coming to look at mine. Only if it sells, I have a boat in Sydney I wanna look at when I am down. Hardtop Trophy 2052. Ticks all the requirements I have. Enclosed Hardtop, good electronics, lockable cabin and good size fuel tank.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lalor-park/motorboats-powerboats/trophy-2052/1185159484

Hard when you find a great boat to not do something silly like get a loan to grab it...

Good on clay with the sale.

it so exciting to be buying another boat. 

It’s missing the second hull to make it a cat. So you’re looking at mono hulls too?

15 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Good on clay with the sale.

it so exciting to be buying another boat. 

It’s missing the second hull to make it a cat. So you’re looking at mono hulls too?

It is missing a hull. Lol I am looking at monos too. As long as it meets my criteria.

The more I read about inboards the more I like.

That last message was one I was doing days ago and then I was interrupt by work. So it doesn’t make sense.

If you are looking for something that’s suits you rather than a particular brand & model, it shouldn’t take long to find what you’re looking for. 

8 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Ready to fish! 

Be interested to know how well the lights work to attract the squid.

Hopefully soon. Really keen for a 1770 double over nighter now. If boat doesn't sell, there are only a few things left on my list, Radar and Anchor winch.

7 hours ago, straddiebrad said:

looks good mate i got mine last week i will keep them in the draw for 6 months then fit them😀😀😀

Your lights are 2-3 times bigger Brad so you can imagine how much light they will put out.

Only downfall is they were 6 times dearer, lol

Archived