Night Reef Fishing - Sunny Coast

Lozzza

Hi everyone, hope this is the correct section. 

I've been doing a fair bit of reef fishing out off Mooloolaba lately. Usually currimundi, OWI or gneerings. Using a mixture of bait (squid, mullet), livies and soft plastics. But with very low success. Out of the last 10 trips, the most successful trip landed a squire and a nice rte. I'm considering doing an all-night trip, wondering about the safety of this - do any of you guys do it regularly? 

There would be 2 of us on a 4.3m, with all lights, flares, lifejackets, epirb. Plan would be to anchor up on a mark and stay there all night. Birley up and drop some baits down. 

Any thoughts, things to consider or previous experiences with this? 

Thanks! 

Pick the right weather and you will be fine. Especially inner gneerings where you are pretty much still in the bay and not far back to the breakwall. Do you have an anchor alarm on your gps?  Any wind with a westerly in it should give you a calm night 

Sounds great. Make sure you put out lots of chain if you are going to have a sleep. Doyley is right if you have an anchor alarm on GPS it gives you a lot more confidence. Make sure your battery is in good shape. 

It sounds like you are fishing it well with what you said. Perhaps try to lighten sinkers and float baits down?

A good tip is to always have a pilly out the back under a float. Plenty of Macs around. 

If you get out we would love to see a report and a few photos. You can even win a prize for report of the month. 

I don't think I have an anchor alarm on my sounder, will have to double check. Will have a spare battery with me too. Will definitely have a floater out the back. 
Will definitely put up a report if it all comes together. Thanks guys! 

29 minutes ago, Lozzza said:

I don't think I have an anchor alarm on my sounder, will have to double check. Will have a spare battery with me too. Will definitely have a floater out the back. 
Will definitely put up a report if it all comes together. Thanks guys! 

Awesome. I look forward to hearing how you go. 

Archived