Friday Arvo Snapper Session

Cobiaaddict

Good read Josh - shows how much effort can go into catching them sometimes. That's where words to go with pictures always helps. Thanks for the report and congrats on what will be a hard one to beat for SOO. Looks like we'll be taking dad's boat out through SPB on Monday to chase some snaps but I wouldn't get too nervous ..... 🙂 

54 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Good read Josh - shows how much effort can go into catching them sometimes. That's where words to go with pictures always helps. Thanks for the report and congrats on what will be a hard one to beat for SOO. Looks like we'll be taking dad's boat out through SPB on Monday to chase some snaps but I wouldn't get too nervous ..... 🙂 

Lots of time , effort and frustration mate. Done more trips in the past 3 weeks than i dare to count. Good luck on Monday.  Hoping to do 3 or 4 trips next week myselt to see if i can get one closer to double digits🤤. Would be a dream come true if i can get one to go 9kg or better.

• 9 months later...

Got be pleased with that result.

Been a long time since I've taken snapper like that (was common fishing from Nobbys' Wall, the rocks near Newcastle Ocean baths and the rocks under Susan Gillmore Beach to take one or two like in a day's fishing), pinkies were more common.

Was nice when I had a snapper in the bucket who was too long for the bucket.  They really hammered the bait when they decided to eat it, essentially hooking themselves and were really dirty fighters when they were close enough to see the rocks.

Hell, most us mere mortals count ourselves lucky if we hook and land ONE 10 kg or bigger snapper in our lifetimes.

The biggest snapper I've seen landed was taken near Merewether from the rocks near the ocean baths , near 30 pound , was a monster. One my old fishing pals (German Joe) helped land a monster snapper near there that was close to 35 pound , caught by a little kid .  That would have been a fish to behold and I bet the kid's dad was stoked when Joe called him to tell him to come get his kid and his monster fish ( beginners' luck , bet that kid never gave up fishing after than ).