Getting Ready For The Cape York Trip

Luvit

Wayne, trip sounds amamamazing. You'll have you bases covered no doubt. 

+1 for sh*t latch. Replaced mine on top with a gate latch and cut the top of it off so it sat down as low as possible to the drawers. 

+1 for annoying **** falling behind the fridge. Pack smart and you can minimise it (camp chair straps and sleeping bag cords are the worst). But that will happen no matter what fridge slide you have. Only way to get around it @tugger and @kmcrosby78 is what the real touring setups do with a lightweight cage around the fridge that takes up next to no space, allowing the fridge to have its own little compartment and stuff can be thrown in all around it. 

Very jealous Wayno 😒

26 minutes ago, timtam_ said:

Only way to get around it @tugger and @kmcrosby78 is what the real touring setups do with a lightweight cage around the fridge that takes up next to no space, allowing the fridge to have its own little compartment and stuff can be thrown in all around it. 

You've got me thinking again Tim ........ could quite easily be made out of a piece of metal fencing. Would just need an angle grinder to cut the sections out and then probably cable ties to create the cage. Obviously you'd just need to be careful and ensure no sharp edges existed, but that should be achievable.

I am not a refrigeration mechanic but I do know that most fridges work on heat transference. So, if you don’t allow some space around the unit it will not be able to operate effectively. I have a,ways been the passenger rather than the organiser of these sorts of trips but I do recall that generally we have had the fridge running on the back seat of a crew cab and it does generate a bit of heat in the cab, so is it efficient to have it jammed in the the cargo area with other stuff hard up against it? 

11 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I am not a refrigeration mechanic but I do know that most fridges work on heat transference. So, if you don’t allow some space around the unit it will not be able to operate effectively. I have a,ways been the passenger rather than the organiser of these sorts of trips but I do recall that generally we have had the fridge running on the back seat of a crew cab and it does generate a bit of heat in the cab, so is it efficient to have it jammed in the the cargo area with other stuff hard up against it? 

You are dead right OS, Do not have stuff packed around fridge, it needs

air space to get rid of the heat.

Cheers

Gary

+1 for OS and Angry comments. The fridges have air vents to dissipate the heat to stop the compressors from over heating. The compressor will have an over temp cut out switch to protect the fridge if it gets too hot. It will stop the fridge from operating until the temperature comes back down to an acceptable operating temperature.

If you have things packed against it the temperature will rise and cause this situation, it will also taker longer for the heat to reduce to a safe operating temperature. All while all the contents of the fridge heat up an go off.

15 hours ago, timtam_ said:

Wayne, trip sounds amamamazing. You'll have you bases covered no doubt. 

+1 for sh*t latch. Replaced mine on top with a gate latch and cut the top of it off so it sat down as low as possible to the drawers. 

+1 for annoying **** falling behind the fridge. Pack smart and you can minimise it (camp chair straps and sleeping bag cords are the worst). But that will happen no matter what fridge slide you have. Only way to get around it @tugger and @kmcrosby78 is what the real touring setups do with a lightweight cage around the fridge that takes up next to no space, allowing the fridge to have its own little compartment and stuff can be thrown in all around it. 

Very jealous Wayno 😒

Pay back, I've been jealous of many of the places I see you exploring. 🤔

All above are correct re fridge breathing... Bearing in mind I have an 80 series Cruiser and you have a Playdo. When I did the week from Innisfail to Cooktown via CREB and out to Laura and back through Bloomfield, Herberton etc I only had two guys in the car and we put back seats down and tried to keep everything on top of the right draw that wouldn’t fall. I put camp chairs between fridge and side wall of car. The draw under my fridge had all cooking gear in it so there wasn’t much room for things to fall in there and right draw had recovery stuff and axes etc........ I found the biggest but pain was loose bags straps etc falling onto runners for slide. I’ve recently bought a few of those Drifta bags to put things in. They are awesome! But a good roof top bag or two are worth it as well. We did keep our clothing to a minimum but it was only a week. I tend too live in the same pair of shorts for a few days when I do long trips, just take loads of fresh underwear.  Use a shirt for a few days and just rinse them of night if need be.. But that’s me and always try and travel relatively light. 

I’m watching with interest as I am planning this time next year to head to Birdsville, FInke track, Uluru, Alice Springs, Mt Isa and home. 

You guys got me a little concerned about the big scaly things. 

So I have gone ahead and bitten the bullet and lashed out for a top of the range rifle to protect ourselves.

Had to get some practice in, see below.

First kill

IMG_5088.thumb.jpg.23291bd06e5fe4b86cc0417e2f6c4604.jpg

🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Luvit said:

When I started this thread I had know idea it would generate as much interest as it has.

Looks like I'll have do a report once its done. Don't expect many fish photos though.

Just a video from go to whoa  will suffice with no edits.🐊:whistle:

Cheers

Gary

10 minutes ago, Luvit said:

You guys got me a little concerned about the big scaly things. 

So I have gone ahead and bitten the bullet and lashed out for a top of the range rifle to protect ourselves.

Had to get some practice in, see below.

First kill

IMG_5088.thumb.jpg.23291bd06e5fe4b86cc0417e2f6c4604.jpg

🤣🤣

First lesson Wayne, stay at least 5 metre's from bank,

That bloke could lunge at you.:yikes:

Cheers

Gary

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Mate that is awesome. Great shirts. What a great trip to do with the family. Stay safe and have the best time. 

I can't wait to see the reports.... I hope there is at least a few rods and a few Gobblers packed?

Take at least one rod and some gobblers, may do a charter wait and see. Take it as it comes and relax.

Mate have a fantastic time and stay safe on the travels! Enjoy the place they call Gods country which is far NorthQLD. I loved my time in Innisfail and exploring up to Cooktown through various 4wd tracks. Can't wait to go to cape. Would be keen to tag along with anyone in the next couple of years... Same as if I head out to Uluru next year anyone is welcome to tag along on that one. 

7 minutes ago, natang said:

Mate have a fantastic time and stay safe on the travels! Enjoy the place they call Gods country which is far NorthQLD. I loved my time in Innisfail and exploring up to Cooktown through various 4wd tracks. Can't wait to go to cape. Would be keen to tag along with anyone in the next couple of years... Same as if I head out to Uluru next year anyone is welcome to tag along on that one. 

Thank you, 4 weeks still doesn't seem like enough time to explore it. Who knows might have t go up again in a few years time.

We did Uluru last year for our 20th wedding anniversary. We flew in so when we do a road trip we can go around the outside of the country.

Archived