Sunday Arvo Bay Snapper Session 8/7/18

Cobiaaddict

Hey All,

I noticed the wind was dying out around lunch time yesterday so a quick decision was made to go have another crack at a big bay snapper,

Launched from the Cabbage Tree Creek  at Sandgate for a quick run to the bait grounds where we found some big live yakkas ( the type you need 2 hands on to rig up) after 15-20mins loading the bait tank we headed off to see if the fish where going to play the game, not long after that We arrived at the designated area and started drifting , Pretty much straight away the wind started picking up from the WSW and made fishing this area impossible,  the call was made to move a back to another area and anchor , float some baits, burley up and play the waiting game hoping the big fish would bite on the tide change right on sunset, about 5pm  the bait runner spooled with 15lb mono gets lit up and we have fight a fight on our hands, with structure both to the east & west of where we are fishing and the fish pretty much doing what it liked under the drag pressure I could apply there where a few tense moments especially when it started heading for the rear anchor, the Decky quickly sorted that out and grabbed the net and slid it under another decent bay snapper,  , Around about 10mins later the heavy overhead goes off and the decky is on ,  this fish pulled a lot of line on its first run and not the usual snapper run we are used too here,  after about 10-15mins we called it for a large cobia that would had been about 30kgs,  just out of reach of the gaff the line broke and it got its freedom 😥, After that it was pretty quite, So I made the call about 6pm to head for home,  The run home was pretty good until we got to the measured mile marker area where we felt the full brunt of the 15-20knot WSW, . Back on the trailer just after 7pm and home around 8pm kept me in the good books with the Wife and kids 😊

Cheers Josh <><

IMG_0649.jpg

20 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Another good one Josh, congrats. Shame about the cobia but I be that snapper lessens the heartache 🙂 

To be honest the decky was spewing he hooked the cobe. Being a die hard snapper fisho he was not impressed. Especially when peak bite time.

11 hours ago, tugger said:

Bloody good snapper I noticed the weather drop out at work the bay up close to the river mouth looked like glass

Yeah it died out perfectly @tugger we had a 50km per hour run across the bay.  We got a better snapper Friday night in the strong northerly that went 85-86cm and she went 7.1kg. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Mate that is a solid fish well done. Gotta love the big lump on the head. Cracking report too thanks. 

Yeah it was a nice fish mate.  Went 80cm and only 5.2kg. Bit on the light side for a male snapper at that size. Probably been spending a bit of time with the girl snapper😍. Being naughty.

Archived