Carching Decent Sizes Muller

sparrow64

Hi Guys new here & keen fisho,what I'd love to do is do some land based mullet fishing in the brisbane river & or tingalpa creek.I understand u need light gear,tiny hook + a float & burley with bran or similar.I will try bread as bait & intend to eat them as my mum cooked them for me when I was young & I loved them,Could any other members give me a few pointers + good locations to try & carch this elisive fish?Many Thanks in advance for any tips & locations,Cheer's.

Gday sparrow. Welcome to AFO.

I have caught a few on bread. They can be tricky. I use a small bobble float with a #8 Ludrick hook and one small split shot sinker.  It doesn't need to be a Ludrick hook they are just readily available at that size. 

You are on the right track with bran for burly and a small ball of fresh white bread on the hook. You will catch a lot of bream that way.

Don't go too light on the line. They are trains when they get going. 

I agree Mullet are delicious. I like to gut them immediately and put them on ice. The strong flavour that comes from them seems to be from the weed and stuff that is in the stomach. 

Mullet are pretty much everywhere. If you see a eddy where there is floating scum on the water they can be attracted to this. 

Good luck mate and if you get on please post up a pic! 🙂

On 16/07/2018 at 10:26 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

Oh and I'm not sure if you target/eat garfish, but they'd also be a viable option with the same tactics.

Very good call. I like to put a little tuna oil with the bran for Gar and a little piece of prawn (Australian only) on the hook. Also for gar I like to use long shanked #8 hooks as they tend to swallow the baits quickly and are hard to get the hooks out if you use short shanked ones. I think gar fishing in QLD is highly under rated. Thanks for the reminder KM

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Very good call. I like to put a little tuna oil with the bran for Gar and a little piece of prawn (Australian only) on the hook. Also for gar I like to use long shanked #8 hooks as they tend to swallow the baits quickly and are hard to get the hooks out if you use short shanked ones. I think gar fishing in QLD is highly under rated. Thanks for the reminder KM

As Drop Bear says for gar Number8 long shank hook but I use bread for bait just rolled into ball and placed on hook. Really cool watching them attack the bait and hook them. Just like a nice feed of whiting! 

Thanks for all the info & tip's people,I think I'll try targeting Gar Fish first to get the feel for float fishing & then look for some decent size mullet.Im a keen fisho but believe it or not I've never used a float but I've found some really good info on youtube.Heading out to Jones Tackle tomorrow to buy a few bubble floats to give me a better casting distance to the fish if need be.Cheer's & thanks again..

Archived