Braid Where Do You I Start

bulldogs195461

Land based today, I slipped on rocks and noticed my braid had broken, luckily I could grab it and pulled it all in saving my $25,lure. Thinking it ripped on the oyster shells I,rerigged and cast again only to see my lure go flying through the air into the deep, thinking it was bad knots, I loaded up another double clutch, to once again watch my hard earned sale into the drink, this time I relized it was my braid giving way, so I seen the light and retired it for the day.my initial reaction was I got bad braid from my tackle shop, but it was only it's second outing and held well on its first, so I'm figuring it something on the rod or my sedona reel, anyone got any ideas? As it was dark when I got home, I've not been able to forensically, study my rod or reel, plus the missus was hovering so thought it best to keep my lure throwing to myself lol. Cheers john 

It can be a small nick or split in the guides or tip of the rod. To check get a bit of braid and thread through the guide and rub it around. If it is a nick you can easily replace a guide or pay to have it replaced. This could have easily happened when you had a slip. 

If it is the braid you should be able to just break it by hand??? 

Drop bear, you nailed it, I put a jig head on and cast in the back yard several times, of course it never broke. Seen your reply, just done the braid rubbing test, and yes I've got a nick in my second last eyelet, another fishing lesson learnt, will now get it repaired, thanks all. 

Cheers john 

New to fishing here. Also with a braid question. Thought I was buying quality line  getting 8x 40lb braid for my handreel. After rigging it up I realised braid doesn’t stretch and so I maybe made a bad choice for handreel fishing off the kayak. Should I still attempt fishing with the braid or would it be breaking all the time with no rod to provide it with slack?

Cheers and sorry if it’s a stupid question, only just getting into fishing.

Personally l would never use braid on a hand line because it has no stretch and can cut you to the bone if a big fish took a small fish on the way up. It can be quite limp and tangle easy.

Monofilament line would be a far cheaper and safer choice for a hand line. 

Feel free to ask any questions. All members are happy to help. 

On 21/07/2018 at 11:32 AM, bulldogs195461 said:

Drop bear, you nailed it, I put a jig head on and cast in the back yard several times, of course it never broke. Seen your reply, just done the braid rubbing test, and yes I've got a nick in my second last eyelet, another fishing lesson learnt, will now get it repaired, thanks all. 

Cheers john 

Glad you found it mate. NOw you can smash them again!

On 23/07/2018 at 6:02 PM, SaltWaterFishing said:

New to fishing here. Also with a braid question. Thought I was buying quality line  getting 8x 40lb braid for my handreel. After rigging it up I realised braid doesn’t stretch and so I maybe made a bad choice for handreel fishing off the kayak. Should I still attempt fishing with the braid or would it be breaking all the time with no rod to provide it with slack?

Cheers and sorry if it’s a stupid question, only just getting into fishing.

Hey SaltWaterFishing. Welcome to the forum.

Its a good question mate. I am sorry to say that you have the wrong line for the job. Braid is great because it it thin but on a hand line it will cut you quicker. If you have a reel that you could use it on you dont have to waste it. I would never use braid on a hand line. I cant think of any situation that it would be better than mono. 

For a hand line get thicker than you think you need. It is nicer on your hands. 

Feel free to ask any you like. These sort of things can make a huge difference to your fishing experience if you get it right. 

9 hours ago, SaltWaterFishing said:

Thanks mate, I’ll grab some thick mono, sounds like a safe option

just remember you might not be able to break this line. Do not ever wrap it around your hand and be careful that loops don't go around your foot. If you hook up to something massive it can be pretty crazy. Where will you be fishing do you think?

Archived