Anchor Advice

kmcrosby78

Alright, so I left a minor detail off my report from Sunday's fishing session ....... when I anchored (using a sand anchor) at the newly found spot and then went to retrieve it, I couldn't pull it by hand. I had intended to swing the boat around and try pulling it from the opposite direction but took the lazy option and tried pulling it using the boat/motor first. And then ...... pop. No chain and anchor - snapped the rope (thought the rope seemed decent).

So ..... I need to replace it. I have chain already (about 7 metres and nice and thick - the boat is a 5.6m plate boat so I'll err on the safe side and get an anchor suitable for a 6-7m boat. I thought it would be worth checking others advice on the best types of anchors to buy before I just go and buy another sand anchor. I have a reef anchor (the four pronged variety) so should I also get a sand anchor, or plough style, or ........???

Any advice would be appreciated (and would no doubt help others in future 🙂).

I use to have a sarca anchor in Victoria and it was excellent anchor in mud and on the reefs. Pretty pricey though and big so had it permanently mounted on the bow sprite. 

Now not anchoring very much l use a simple sand anchor and a ‘Mooloolaba type anchor’ for the reef. At the moment only used it once and it didn’t hold on reef but they have great reviews. 

I have a 6m plate and I use the big reef anchor  (5 prong) with 10m of chain. Never drifted off and will grip surprisingly well in sand and mud. Held up in the seaway at full flow. If it gets stuck you only bend a prong. 

I've only ever used reef anchors come to think of it. 

Sand anchor is only used for a rear anchor when at the beach. 

I use a pretty large Danforth sand anchor with 8m of 10mm chain in the bay and find driving forward when pulling the rope in until you are directly above it works best, Sometimes we need to cleat it off and drive over it slightly if we anchored on a rubble or sandstone bottom as they can get quite stuck and we have to "back" the anchor out of what ever it may be wedged in,

It also pays before dropping the anchor to check all your shackles are attached and done up, They come loose when travelling i found mostly ,

I have a sand anchor that I use in the passage, Moreton Bay, tanga etc and a 4 prong stainless for offshore mooloolaba.  I find the stainless can be a bit hard to straighten if I get it stuck.  I like the idea of the mooloolaba pick, might even weld one up at work.  

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Are you pulling it in by hand or on a winch? Some of those plough anchors test a strong back. 

Very good question 🙂  With the plough anchor reference, do you mean more the weight of them to pull in or the effort to dislodge it from the bottom? I don't have a winch. I guess I'm used to pulling it in by hand (including budging it from the bottom initially) so had planned to do the same where possible. Now you've got me wondering whether, with a larger boat now, this won't be a reality.

Calling all approx. 18ft boat owners - what do you do? Dislodge by hand/pulling, by using a winch or by using a float and driving it off the spot?

G'day Kelvin I have the same size boat there about I use a large anchor bouy to pull the anchor up. Chain size and length is as important as the anchor itself I use 6m of 8mm gauge chain for most conditions but I have 10mm gauge chain in 6m for heavy weather or strong currents. The anchor needs needs to be at least 10mm gauge reef prong type and for sand at least 6kg. I use 12mm silver line for my anchor rope good on the hands and plenty strong enough hope this helps.

Archived