Marks Back In The Isa

Mark Frost

Hey fellas,

Just got a new old boat. Taken it for shake downs to Moondarra. Nice and flat. No wind

4.3 Quintrex with a 30HP Sea Pro..

Problem Im having is that its a ***** to steer!  Wont track nice. Doesnt like to turn at speed.  I've removed the Stingray hydrofoils, and plan to take it out on the weekend. Gets on the plane nice, and has reasonable top end. It has the normal hydraulic "tilt" but it does need a rebuild. Holds trim though.

Any thoughts? ( I used to drive a 4.5 with a 40 in the Straits, so it appears Ive forgotten more than I thought I knew! ) haha!

Mark

Does the motor cavitate when turning?  Turning can be harder with the motor trimmed right out.  The trim annode near the prop can be adjusted to help the boat track better and so you aren’t fighting the motor.   But most likely telling you stuff you already know.

Yeah- havent checked for cav.  Usually on me own. Its pretty tricky to watch the prop when Im fighting the steer in a lake! haha!  Thanks mate. Ill have a go at that. 

The motor seems to be about an in inch below where I'd like it, but I CBF drilling holes in the transom. Already a couple extra holes!   I might invest in a PermaTrim.  Always worked really well before. But Ill see how it runs without the Stingray foil first.

Mark

7 hours ago, Mark Frost said:

Turns out the hydraulic ram is bleeding down, causing it to trim in too much.  Derr!  Haha!  More bucks!

Is it tiller steer or wheel? I had dodgy steering in old center console boat but just kept moving it and oiling it and greasing it and it came good. 

Is there a bleed screw on the side of the ram, the one that is accessed through the motor bracket with a flat head screwdriver? There should be some kind of manual bleed screw there somewhere. 

Trim the motor up as high as you can. Undo the bleed screw and let the motor bleed down to bottom out. Repeat this process half a dozen times and recheck. 

My 150 merc was bleeding down slowley and this fixed it. 

Cheers.

From my understanding you trim the motor up as high as you can. 

Undo the filler plug on the ram (at the bottom of the ram) 

Fill with oil till it comes out hole. May need a clear tube on a funnel or something similar. 

Refit plug and trim up and down a couple of times. 

Here's a merc being done. 

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Mark Frost said:

The drain plug is positioned between the ram and the reservoir.  Stupid place to put it. Ya have to remove the whole assembly to bleed it.  

Kinda better now. Still got air in it, but managed to refill it a fair bit.

Mark

Well done. I have learnt something I hope I will never need to do. 🙂

Archived