Hi From Cairns

Gilly0

I moved to Cairns about 18 months ago. I’ve been reef fishing and spearfishing here a few times on friends boats. Now I’m looking to get my own boat so I can enjoy the area to he fullest. I attached a picture of my best catch here so far. It’s only a juvenile but hopefully the first of many. 

D136F459-1137-4FDB-B7C6-21EAB283134A.jpeg

Getting new boat, can I suggest signing the petition to upgrade Yorkeys boat ramp:

https://www.change.org/p/yorkeys-knob-residents-group-stop-the-residents-of-yorkeys-know-stopping-our-ramp-upgrade?recruiter=42137095&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial..&utm_term=undefined

Welcome mate.

I lived up there back in 89' for 13 months. Awesome place to fish. 

The trinity marina out the front on the pier shopping center holds monsta barra. I pulled a 110cm out of there on a handline. Nearly pulled my arm off. Was only 12yrs old. 

Jacks in the barron river at freshwater stratford and aeroglen. Used to be heaps of little land based spots along there....but a boat would make life way easier. 

Head out the back of redlynch up towards crystal cascades for a round of JP action. They're huge up there. Some nearly 50cm long. Sooty's out the back of speerwah past kuranda. Just have to watch out for that bloody wait a while tree that rips you to pieces. Some of them are so small and look harmless... then within 2 minutes your bleeding prefusly and cursing NQ, then 2 minutes later you've forgotten about it....till the next one grabs you. 

Awesome fun. 

On 29/07/2018 at 9:15 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

Welcome to the site mate and congrats on the marlin - you're one up on me 🙂 Good luck with acquiring a boat - great part of the world to be using one (not that I've been there sadly). Looking forward to reading plenty of reports once you're on the water more.

Cheers!

On 30/07/2018 at 9:08 AM, tiotony said:

Getting new boat, can I suggest signing the petition to upgrade Yorkeys boat ramp:

https://www.change.org/p/yorkeys-knob-residents-group-stop-the-residents-of-yorkeys-know-stopping-our-ramp-upgrade?recruiter=42137095&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial..&utm_term=undefined

I signed it. I'm not sure what the issue with a new boat ramp is.  It sounds like a good idea to me.

On 30/07/2018 at 10:53 AM, Junky said:

Welcome mate.

I lived up there back in 89' for 13 months. Awesome place to fish. 

The trinity marina out the front on the pier shopping center holds monsta barra. I pulled a 110cm out of there on a handline. Nearly pulled my arm off. Was only 12yrs old. 

Jacks in the barron river at freshwater stratford and aeroglen. Used to be heaps of little land based spots along there....but a boat would make life way easier. 

Head out the back of redlynch up towards crystal cascades for a round of JP action. They're huge up there. Some nearly 50cm long. Sooty's out the back of speerwah past kuranda. Just have to watch out for that bloody wait a while tree that rips you to pieces. Some of them are so small and look harmless... then within 2 minutes your bleeding prefusly and cursing NQ, then 2 minutes later you've forgotten about it....till the next one grabs you. 

Awesome fun. 

Cheers Junky. I'm always looking for new land based spots. I'll check those out. Fishing probably isn't as good as it was 30 years ago.

On 30/07/2018 at 7:58 PM, Drop Bear said:

Nice one mate welcome to AFO.

How did the marlin eat? I have never caught one but want to 

We only took it aboard for the picture. We swam it and released it. I've heard it's good eating. I will take one when I have more freezer space.

Archived