Is This Good Enough To Find Out If Beach Fishing Is For Me?

Spence

I apologize in advance if I offend anyone with my potential purchase!

I'm totally new to fishing in general and I'm keen to try some beach surf fishing around Bribie Island. I have been looking at rod/reel combos and this one looked like good value. Apparently 5 bearings is good for this price point? I dead set know SFA about what I'm doing here.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/jarvis-walker-ultimate---12ft.,-surf-combo/1102814

If I enjoy the fishing I will likely go all in and gear up with better gear but is this good enough for a casual/beginner to try out?

15 hours ago, Spence said:

I'm totally new to fishing in general and I'm keen to try some beach surf fishing around Bribie Island. I have been looking at rod/reel combos and this one looked like good value. Apparently 5 bearings is good for this price point? I dead set know SFA about what I'm doing here.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/jarvis-walker-ultimate---12ft.,-surf-combo/1102814

If I enjoy the fishing I will likely go all in and gear up with better gear but is this good enough for a casual/beginner to try out?

Yes mate that will work fine. Make sure you keep the salt water off the reel as it will kill it. When you get home make sure to rinse it off with fresh water. There will be water on the line each time you reel it in. This is unavoidable but not too much of a problem if you rinse it off. 

Better quality gear will last longer and be smother etc but when new that sort of thing should be all you need. Have fun mate and post up some picks if you go for a fish. Even if you don't catch anything first time. 

15 hours ago, Spence said:

No problems kicking things off with that combo Spence, Jarvis Walker have been around since Adam was a boy, if you like fishing and you decide to gear up, maybe look into an Alvey reel, lot less maintenance issues when beach and surf fishing, also if you are just kicking things off, you need to look for gutters formed by the action of the waves, thats where you will find the fish, plenty of info on the site about surf fishing.

Good luck with it and don't forget the pics

MSB

1 hour ago, MSB said:

No problems kicking things off with that combo Spence, Jarvis Walker have been around since Adam was a boy, if you like fishing and you decide to gear up, maybe look into an Alvey reel, lot less maintenance issues when beach and surf fishing, also if you are just kicking things off, you need to look for gutters formed by the action of the waves, thats where you will find the fish, plenty of info on the site about surf fishing.

Good luck with it and don't forget the pics

MSB

I love my Alveys

Cheers, I will swing by Kmart and pick it up once i figure out what sort of set up i need. From what i have read I believe I am likely to see mostly whiting and dart with some chances of other stuff like Bream, Flathead, Snapper etc.

1 hour ago, Spence said:

Cheers, I will swing by Kmart and pick it up once i figure out what sort of set up i need. From what i have read I believe I am likely to see mostly whiting and dart with some chances of other stuff like Bream, Flathead, Snapper etc.

Spence, in my personal opinion, buy mono line not braid for surf fishing, 4kg line in mono will be heaps for fishing the surf gutters at Bribie, buy black swivels so any chopper tailor or small macks won't bite you off, use flat or disc sinkers if you can find them, and a 1.2mtr to 1.5mtr trace and start with a long shank No 2 hook,  you can change hook size up or down depending on the species and size you are catching, there is usually pretty good gutters in front and just to the south of the surf club, as I said only my opinions on line and set up, you will come to know what works for you the more you fish.

MSB

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I love my Alveys

My favourite piece of fishing equipment Robbie, still got the 4" model my Dad bought for me when I was 10 years old so thats 50+ years I've had it and I still use it to catch my whiting strung with 2kg platypus mono, simple and easy to use, I love my alveys too😀

38 minutes ago, MSB said:

Spence, in my personal opinion, buy mono line not braid for surf fishing, 4kg line in mono will be heaps for fishing the surf gutters at Bribie, buy black swivels so any chopper tailor or small macks won't bite you off, use flat or disc sinkers if you can find them, and a 1.2mtr to 1.5mtr trace and start with a long shank No 2 hook,  you can change hook size up or down depending on the species and size you are catching, there is usually pretty good gutters in front and just to the south of the surf club, as I said only my opinions on line and set up, you will come to know what works for you the more you fish.

MSB

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. When you say black swivels is that a brand or just get ones that are black in color?

3 hours ago, Spence said:

I bought Kmart 6'6 rod and its very good, although I should have bought the one you are planning to. The rod quality and reel is great.

Just a note, make sure the handle has a screw on it, I bought one without a screw and the moment I threw the line in, my reel's handle went with it!  (i realized this because of the splash, I thought to myself... a worm won't create a huge splash like that.. what was it?? then I looked at my rod and figured out what caused that splash..

Had to get a replacement with a screw.. lol

I ended up getting a Daiwa combo at Anaconda for $120 in comparison to the $70 at Kmart the Rod was thicker, the kmart one was as thick at the base as this one is at the join. That and the reel felt like it moved much smoother. Old mate at the counter also gave me a free fishing shirt so not a bad deal all up i reckon. 

Now to get the rest of this figured out!

20180803_161857.jpg

48 minutes ago, Spence said:

I ended up getting a Daiwa combo at Anaconda for $120 in comparison to the $70 at Kmart the Rod was thicker, the kmart one was as thick at the base as this one is at the join. That and the reel felt like it moved much smoother. Old mate at the counter also gave me a free fishing shirt so not a bad deal all up i reckon. 

Now to get the rest of this figured out!

20180803_161857.jpg

what action is the rod Spence

Congrats on the new purchase mate and welcome to the site. Good crew on here who are willing to share info so as you begin your journey towards fishing addiction ..... 🙂 ask away and those that know will likely answer (the key being to ask detailed questions so people can give detailed answers).

Shuffle your feet in the sand near the water for pippies at Bribie - good bait for whiting, dart, bream & flathead. Good luck!!

On 03/08/2018 at 1:10 PM, MSB said:

My favourite piece of fishing equipment Robbie, still got the 4" model my Dad bought for me when I was 10 years old so thats 50+ years I've had it and I still use it to catch my whiting strung with 2kg platypus mono, simple and easy to use, I love my alveys too😀

Great stuff. I have been using my grandfathers 4'" at north pine dam for Bass. I don't think it has ever been serviced more than splashing some fresh water on it. Still works a treat. It is really fun playing out line on them when you get a good sized fish. Brings the skill back. 

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Great stuff. I have been using my grandfathers 4'" at north pine dam for Bass. I don't think it has ever been serviced more than splashing some fresh water on it. Still works a treat. It is really fun playing out line on them when you get a good sized fish. Brings the skill back. 

Exactly right, there is a skill to playing a good fish using light line on an Alvey, laying the line across the reel manually is a bit of an art form, also if not careful you can get a few line burns off the light mono when a good fish runs, its all about nostalgia Robbie 😎

3 hours ago, MSB said:

Exactly right, there is a skill to playing a good fish using light line on an Alvey, laying the line across the reel manually is a bit of an art form, also if not careful you can get a few line burns off the light mono when a good fish runs, its all about nostalgia Robbie 😎

love it.

Archived