Weight Limited Offshore Boat

Zarb

Hey all,

I'm looking for advice on getting a boat to take offshore a few kilometres in calm-moderate conditions, but I'm limited to the amount I can tow behind my car (1500kgs max). Center console plate aluminium seems my best bet so far, and there are a lot out there. I briefly entertained getting a RIB, but for the length and capacity there isn't a lot of floor space like on a regular vessel.

The closest I have seen to the mark so far has been the Stessl Trophy 520, but I was wondering if there was anything else out there that has the capacity for 6 rather than 5 like in the Stessl. I think the next size up in the Stessl puts me over the weight limit.

Any recommendations? 

This might be a bit controversial but I wouldn’t worry too much about the 5 or 6 person capacity.  Happy to be proven wrong but here in qld people under 12 are only classed as 1/2 a person.  I have also read (can’t remember where) that you can’t be fined for overloading your boat.  You can be fined for not having a builders plate (don’t think u need a capacity label anymore) and also for not have the safety gear for all onboard, but no fine for overloading.  You will however cope an ear bashing from the fisheries/water police.    

Archived