Rust In Trailers

carees48@hotmail.com

I give mine a good hose down after every trip and every few months give the trailer a spray inside and out of WD40. 2.5 yrs with my current trailer and so far zero surface rust.  I also check my bearings every 6 months and either repack or change them depending on their condition.  Maintenance is the key!

1. Wash with salt away  after every saltwater trip.

2. Every few trips spray with a penetrating  lubricant such as Inox, then use a protecting layer like white lithium. I used this setup on my old gal trailer and did not see a speck of rust after 10 years of being buried up to the top of the wheels at boatramps 🙂

4 hours ago, Doyley said:

I give mine a good hose down after every trip and every few months give the trailer a spray inside and out of WD40. 2.5 yrs with my current trailer and so far zero surface rust.  I also check my bearings every 6 months and either repack or change them depending on their condition.  Maintenance is the key!

Hi Guys. Good common sense approach. Wd40 and inox I'm familiar with. Will check out White lithium. I guess one can't be lazy about such things and I will practice what you both have advised. Many thanks, Colin,,,😃

A few people have shown me a sprinkler set up that they permanently plumb into their trailers. The idea is that it flushes fresh water inside the box sections. Very clever. I have made one up for mine but it didn't work as there is stuff in the way but trying to figure out a new plan at the moment. 

White Lithium is a spray on grease that is a bit heavier than things like wd 40/inox etc.

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

A few people have shown me a sprinkler set up that they permanently plumb into their trailers. The idea is that it flushes fresh water inside the box sections. Very clever. I have made one up for mine but it didn't work as there is stuff in the way but trying to figure out a new plan at the moment. 

White Lithium is a spray on grease that is a bit heavier than things like wd 40/inox etc.

Rob, mine was the same. Patience and a carton of VB is all it took. I had to insert from the rear of the trailer in the end. The only thing I can think of that would be stopping it is the loom for the trailer lights.

55 minutes ago, carees48@hotmail.com said:

Thanks Drop Bear, I guess the alternative is to just spray salt away via the garden hose under pressure and hope that it gets to most places, removes any salt and dries out.

Search for a post of mine, title "New trailer time". Lots of good info and pictures in the post.

Archived