Fishing Report - Northern Moreton Bay Saturday 11 August 2018

Poddymullet

Happy Long Weekend all Moreton Bay and Redland Bay residents! 

Got the permatrim fitted to the DF140 on Friday to help keep it my new- old boat on the plane better and keep her from bouncing. 

Definitely made a difference although there wasn't a lot of swell to go through....oh yeah back to the report. 

Gentlemans hours again so got to Scarborough ramp around 715 and after waiting a bit since there is only one ramp in operation headed out around 7.45. Mates were out on the Cockle banks so headed to them to test the boat...

They were getting some winter whiting and while I was not super keen (bit tired of them ... bit selfish I know) stayed around for a bit but then pulled up stumps to try for northern side of the Moreton Island. 

First time out this far but got a bit nervous so really only stayed just before the Venus banks area...still not sure of how shallow the areas is 😞 and wasn't 100% on the fuel / tank / consumption yet so still wanted to play it safe. 

Current was insane~! Some good structure but only kept getting whiplash, small sweetlip (grass emperors), hussar and also a cod (think it's a red cod? - returned) 

Did plenty of southeast to northeast drifts...had to as the current just rips through and at the end of the drift the swell really picked up. 

Headed back with empty esky but more experience in the area. Not sure if the fuel guage as it went from 3/4 full to 1/4 by the time we got back...it's a concern. 

Going to try for tomorrow morning.

Any tips please let me know! 

fullsizeoutput_48f7.jpeg

That is a small Moari Cod.

Start with a full tank and refill it on your way home, then you will know the exact amount of fuel used.

Your GPS will show distance traveled so you can then work out the proper fuel consumption 

Knowing how many liters per km is very handy when planning trips offshore.

Nice Moari Cod there poddy mullet. The bigger ones are one of the best eating fish in the ocean. 

Those fuel gauges are unreliable at best. 

I have 2 10ltr fuel tanks that I carry with me. This will get me home from pretty much anywhere. 

It is much better to work out how much fuel you burn and work on this than to rely on boat fuel gauges. 

Thanks for a great report. 

22 hours ago, christophagus said:

agreed, those fuel gauges are very un-reliable...well mine is anyway. im still to get a good test of how economical my boat is.

Like drop bear said, 20l spare fuel will get you home form most spots in the bay id imagine

Nice Maori by the way. I landed a legal one off rainbow beach a few years back...delicious!

Hey @christophagus how do you cook it? Steamed whole?

Archived