Nothing wrong with mono.

Just from my own experience in fishing deeper than 50m in current, braid gave me so much extra feel. 

I didn't have to strike with the rod tip starting in the water, then raising it to the sky just to move the hook and sinker 4 inches when using mono.

Not having a dig, each to their own.

1 hour ago, aussie123 said:

And what did us old timers use for the last 100 years to catch fish in the days before braided lines 😂😋😉

Trolling for macks , Beach launching from point lookout Roy Bliss bondwood beachy, west bend outboard and green cord hand line line and home made spoon ,piano wire trace. 1950s version.

Cheers

Ray

2 minutes ago, rayke1938 said:

Trolling for macks , Beach launching from point lookout Roy Bliss beachy, west bend outboard and green cord line and home made spoon.

Cheers

Ray

Now you are talking Ray, the good old days.

I had an old 6hp west bend but with a chrysler cowl on it when I grew up, it was on a 8ft savage tinny.

I used to get dark green vb cord and make a heavy handline up and tie it off the tiller arm for catching big murray cod in amongst the heavy snags, lol

2 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Now you are talking Ray, the good old days.

I had an old 6hp west bend but with a chrysler cowl on it when I grew up, it was on a 8ft savage tinny.

I used to get dark green vb cord and make a heavy handline up and tie it off the tiller arm for catching big murray cod in amongst the heavy snags, lol

Mmmmmm VB. 

It definitely lasts longer.

Ive got a good brand braid I've been using for a while now but the light bulb expiry date of most braids is enough to give you the shitz. Random breakages at random points and losing good fish is heartbreaking. Never had that problem with mono. 

I use  Schneider Klear 15lb in the bay chasing grassy sweet lip and works well on overhead gear,

I find it does not like going on spin reels real well 😞 and bird nests up easily when wound on loose.

Majority of time I have been using Shogun 20,30 or 40lb for chasing snapper inside the bay and Offshore. 

Another option for a brilliant mono is ANDE , normally deal direct with the USA when ordering . 

9 hours ago, aussie123 said:

And what did us old timers use for the last 100 years to catch fish in the days before braided lines 😂😋😉

Geez Lance you're doing very, very well for your age mate, I only had you pegged as around 80 ............... :whistle:  Must be all the fish you eat ...... 🙂 

I recently bought the Platypus Lo-Stretch to put on a spin reel. Too early to have a proper opinion, but from memory it had a thinner diameter than some of the others so between that and the low stretch factor (like braid) it would be worth looking at/trying Brad.

This could be an interesting thread. I fish mostly inshore and use mostly braid. My alveys always have mono for obvious reasons (I have gotten used to having 5 fingers on each hand). IThe last line I put on an alvey for surf fishing was Schneider 15lb and it has been a disaster. Too stiff and I am getting way too many wind knots, so if anyone has a recommendation for a replacement I would welcome a suggestion.

Recently, after a great trip to Tugger Rock with @tuggerI dug out an old ABU Ambassadeur reel (the really old ones made in Sweden). I thought if I spooled it up with braid it might be good for floatlining if I get the opportunity to go offshore again. I took it to the local tackle shop to buy some braid and get it spooled up. When I told the expert there that I was going to use it for floatlining he recommended using mono and we went with the Platypus super thin 30lb. I have used in the bay but no deeper than 17 metres. Goes ok but can bunch a bit more than I expected if I don’t keep plenty of pressure on the retrieve. 

Hope this helps someone and look forward to hearing more ideas.

Instead of starting a new thread I may as well ask here;

I'm going camping in Ballina next week and will be doing some beach fishing if all goes to plan. I've inherited a Okuma Salena sa65 that I'll use instead of buying something, just wondering what line people recommend for surf fishing? I believe there should be some tailor around, not sure what else could be around there. 

9 minutes ago, Milpool said:

Instead of starting a new thread I may as well ask here;

I'm going camping in Ballina next week and will be doing some beach fishing if all goes to plan. I've inherited a Okuma Salena sa65 that I'll use instead of buying something, just wondering what line people recommend for surf fishing? I believe there should be some tailor around, not sure what else could be around there. 

This is what I would put on it: 230 mtrs of Pe4, 30lb. 10 meters of 30 - 60lb mono.

Archived