Markfish (not Tugger Lol) Update

Luvit

I have just bought a product called Markfish and should receive it in a few days and install it over the weekend. ($280)

Because the Furuno FCV588 is only a sounder and not a GPS combo unit. You require this Markfish product to save waypoints where you see the fish on the sounder back to your other brand GPS. I have the Lowrance HDS Gen 3 and it is compatible with Markfish.

Once installed I will be able to see fish on the Furuno sounder and hit a button that will pause the screen, where you can move the cursor to where you want to via the scroll button and place a waypoint. Once saved it will appear on the Lowrance map. 

I see fish with the Furuno that don't even show up on the Lowrance, so it become a guess to where the fish were to place a mark. This should now allow me to put a waypoint on the fish and know exactly where they are when doubling back to find them.

Maybe handy for you also @straddiebrad

Here is link for anyone interested.

https://www.tradeboats.com.au/tradeaboat-news/gear/1605/markfish-electronics

11 minutes ago, demarc said:

Good luck mate! I couldn't live with a setup that doesn't float the marks across!!!! Good news the HD3 now accepts the WPL NMEA codes. They never used to.

Yes, I have a good set up and this will make it better.  

You can.

But what l found is that l am running different scroll speeds/ depth ranges and frequency’s for the different units. So when I see fish on the Furuno l am guessing where they are on the Lowrance because of the different cone angles for different frequencies. If I run the same frequencies then l get interference noise on both sounders. 

The Lowrance is for sidescaning mainly. 

19 hours ago, Luvit said:

I have just bought a product called Markfish and should receive it in a few days and install it over the weekend. ($280)

Because the Furuno FCV588 is only a sounder and not a GPS combo unit. You require this Markfish product to save waypoints where you see the fish on the sounder back to your other brand GPS. I have the Lowrance HDS Gen 3 and it is compatible with Markfish.

Once installed I will be able to see fish on the Furuno sounder and hit a button that will pause the screen, where you can move the cursor to where you want to via the scroll button and place a waypoint. Once saved it will appear on the Lowrance map. 

I see fish with the Furuno that don't even show up on the Lowrance, so it become a guess to where the fish were to place a mark. This should now allow me to put a waypoint on the fish and know exactly where they are when doubling back to find them.

Maybe handy for you also @straddiebrad

Here is link for anyone interested.

https://www.tradeboats.com.au/tradeaboat-news/gear/1605/markfish-electronics

Hi mate let me know how the install goes as I have the same setup but with a gen 2 hds. I basically only use the hds as a gps and don’t even bother using it as a sounder. It would really improve accuracy of marking fish

52 minutes ago, jon said:

Hi mate let me know how the install goes as I have the same setup but with a gen 2 hds. I basically only use the hds as a gps and don’t even bother using it as a sounder. It would really improve accuracy of marking fish

Will do.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Initially I was going to have it professionally installed by QME however they did not return my email so I called into the factory to discuss it face to face. Guy was out and they said they had my message and they would let him know that I had called in and he would call me. That didn't happen 🤬 which is why I did it myself. 

I water tested the Markfish on Saturday and it didn't work. Strange that it works in the drive way and not on the water. I got home and tested it again in the drive and it worked 😬

I rang the people I bought it from for assistance and they suggested I call the manufacturer. I sent the manufacture a message on Monday and still no reply. I rang the manufacturer and only one suggestion which I don't believe will be the problem said select the older version NMEA 0183. The boss who had not responded was not in so I got an installer.

I then posted for help on social media for anyone with one to show me their settings, I had no replies except one person. This person is a Lowrance Pro staffer that I know and we have fished together. He suggested I go to NEMA 2000 settings and  change waypoints send and receive on. The instructions for the 'Markfish' only mention NEMA 0183 but after looking at the NEMA 2000 settings it seems logical to me that these settings need to be turned on. 

I am 90% confident this will fix the problem and will not know until I water test it. 

Moral of the story is if I have a good experience with companies I will let you know.

If I have bad one, I will let you know.

Quite peeved with QME when l supported their coast guard fund raiser night and l keep seeing number one Furuno dealer feed coming up on FB and l can’t even get a return call or message. It’s not the first time l have this with them. 

On a side note l moved my guards on the trailer the other day because they were 3cm out from centre. 😔 just in the mood for a big whinge 😜

10 hours ago, Luvit said:

Quite peeved with QME when l supported their coast guard fund raiser night and l keep seeing number one Furuno dealer feed coming up on FB and l can’t even get a return call or message. It’s not the first time l have this with them. 

On a side note l moved my guards on the trailer the other day because they were 3cm out from centre. 😔 just in the mood for a big whinge 😜

I don't blame you for having a whinge. That is frustrating.

"we don't know anything about it we just sell the stuff"

Archived