Early Father's Day (reported Added)

Luvit

I have interstate business on Monday so the call has been made to launch Friday night at Bribie Island and sleep on the boat with the boys. Early fathers day rather than Sunday.

Going to anchor up in Pumistone passage to ride out the NNW 20-25kts winds forecast at 10pm. Hopefully the wind will drop as forecast by the morning 10-15kts Westerly and then will head out for some fishing.

Not going to be a big fishing day, more to spend time with the kids and try about the new 'Markfish' I installed.

Sunday the kids have a paid gardening job and I'll clean the boat for father day. Only 2 weekends before we head to the cape york, so this could be the last chance to take the boat out for a while. 

We'll be back just in time to hopefully go to Hervey Bay and chase some mini marlin.

22 minutes ago, Luvit said:

I have interstate business on Monday so the call has been made to launch Friday night at Bribie Island and sleep on the boat with the boys. Early fathers day rather than Sunday.

Going to anchor up in Pumistone passage to ride out the NNW 20-25kts winds forecast at 10pm. Hopefully the wind will drop as forecast by the morning 10-15kts Westerly and then will head out for some fishing.

Not going to be a big fishing day, more to spend time with the kids and try about the new 'Markfish' I installed.

Sunday the kids have a paid gardening job and I'll clean the boat for father day. Only 2 weekends before we head to the cape york, so this could be the last chance to take the boat out for a while. 

We'll be back just in time to hopefully go to Hervey Bay and chase some mini marlin.

I just checked my Diary and it seems I am also free to come up to Hervey Bay at that time... what time was it?

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

I just checked my Diary and it seems I am also free to come up to Hervey Bay at that time... what time was it?

Have to wait till I get back to see what can be done.

I'll let everyone know when I'm going and if anyone wants to come along that would be great.

New plan,

With the 20-25 kts winds forecast overnight with wind against tide for most of the night. I have made the call to get a good nights sleep in our own beds and make it later start launching 7-8am. The wind is predicted to slowly drop off for the rest of the day. A testing trip more than a fishing trip, but you never know what can happen when you're on the water.

12 minutes ago, Luvit said:

New plan,

With the 20-25 kts winds forecast overnight with wind against tide for most of the night. I have made the call to get a good nights sleep in our own beds and make it later start launching 7-8am. The wind is predicted to slowly drop off for the rest of the day. A testing trip more than a fishing trip, but you never know what can happen when you're on the water.

Sounds pretty smart. Have fun testing. I bet there will be a few rods packed just in case... 🙂 I have heard that there are a few longtails around. 

16 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

Sounds like a great idea. Would love to join  if okay depending on times? New to all this overnighting stuff so would love to learn and share. 

Overnighting is easy.

You drop the anchor, cook up a feed, get pissed then lay down and go to sleep.

Not much to learn really, lol 😂

3 minutes ago, Poddymullet said:

Pretty much got most of that down pat 🤣 ... just not 100% on making sure we don't float away! 

Providing you have a good anchor with plenty of chain you will be ok.

You can also set the anchor/drift alarm on the gps that will go off if the anchor does slip.

Boats only float away if the anchor is too small, chain too light or is too short, get that set up correctly and you should not have a problem.

Quick report because I need to get back to Father's day and packing for work tomorrow.

We headed off from Bribie late is 8.30am looked for tuna with nothing around. The wind came up and had to wait for it to drop so we could get soft plastics to the bottom. Had a late breakfast on the boat before heading out a bit.

Found some fish on the sounder and Luke was first to score with his first ever baby amber jack.

IMG_5211.thumb.jpg.48e9a064fd238712b24dcb436aaec5d1.jpg

IMG_5208.thumb.jpg.056935df117e58497c8419f6c64d0dd2.jpg

We saw some birds and went over to see what they were looking at. To our delight it was Longtails.

James hooked up.

IMG_4831.thumb.JPG.b5c7f9d6414aa864c60ed8e74ba30e3b.JPG

jplt.thumb.JPG.3fe0755583ae14fb027fb6219b4a13af.JPG

They went down, so I let the lure sink to see what was underneath, good move with a nice 67cm snapper taking a new Gobblers color gin clear.

IMG_5209.thumb.jpg.4ce9a0ca80d5f8990026e2a92839c10f.jpg

Second drop another snap of 70cm.

snap1.thumb.JPG.75bffe98d7bb4a0ecc7b167ccf9e0d6b.JPG

The tuna popped up again and James and I had a double hook up. I got my Mac in and the Longtail was a little harder.

jpdad.thumb.JPG.fad07b9493e0fa7590330ed64567f2c0.JPG

ltnet.thumb.JPG.7b5b14636ab02dd34966f88ff64b36ca.JPG

IMG_4821.thumb.JPG.979f8d4084f078138a461c641b79908e.JPG

ginny.thumb.JPG.e7f918fa36e1f8e92af1bab4f2fdb931.JPG

We ended up after 5 hrs with 1 amber jack, 2 x Long Tail, 2 x Mac tuna and 2 snapper. All released. Had to use a release weight to release the snapper. 

Got to run, but what a way to celebrate an early father's day.

lt.JPG

1 minute ago, aussie123 said:

Now that is a memorable fathers day for everyone, well done.

How did the Markfish go.

No good. I must have a setting wrong. It works in the drive way but not on the water. Tried again when l got home and it worked in the driveway. I’ll sort it. Will be excellent when I have it working on the water. I am so happy with the Furuno, it may not show the pretty screen shots with Chirp etc, but it shows me fish and if I catch them that’s good enough for me. 

1 minute ago, Luvit said:

No good. I must have a setting wrong. It works in the drive way but not on the water. Tried again when l got home and it worked in the driveway. I’ll sort it. Will be excellent when I have it working on the water. I am so happy with the Furuno, it may not show the pretty screen shots with Chirp etc, but it shows me fish and if I catch them that’s good enough for me. 

I was only thinking when I first read this report at how clear the sounder is reading at that depth.

You cannot ask for it to be any better.

Archived