I Need Help

chaso

Ok so I am getting into fishing, I had nver owned a rod before and just borrowed my friends rods. I wanted a good all rounder rod. I fish around Brisbane River a bit (Snapper, Bream, occasional Salmon). I am however going up to Bribie Island for a week soon and want to do some beach fishing for some Whiting, Bream and maybe Flatties. I bought a 4-8kg rated rod which my friend advised would be good for fishing the Brisbane river. I am just wondering if this would be ok for whiting fishing of the beach at Bribie (or anywhere else). I dont really have much of an issue casting it far as I am pretty strong. I really like my rod, it was clearance at BCF, glass tip, nice and sensitive etc. What are your thoughts? Thanks! Chaso

I personally have a few different rods but if it is just for whiting as long as you are wading in and aiming for nice deep gutters you should be fine.

For whiting though try to use red beads to attract them as that really helps a bunch for whiting.

For beach fishing though a longer rod is what you really need to get out there but see how you go mate.

I have only ever used longer rods for beach fishing 

Might be a bit heavier than you would want in an ideal set up, but if you are not targeting whiting regularly it might be ok. You don’t need to cast far to catch whiting in the surf. They are often in the foam right at your feet. You don’t need expensive gear either. A 2 - 4 kg rod around 7 or 8 feet, with an inexpensive reel like a Shimano Sienna would be fine and would handle decent flathead and most tailor if you take it easy.

If you are using a spinning reel, make sure you keep it out of the water and wash it down well after your session. Salt is a killer no matter how much you pay for your reel. Alvey reels are ideal but need a different rod so just work out how often you are going to do surf fishing, what your budget is, and work backwards from there.

Good luck and don’t forget to post your trip, even if it is a donut. Plenty of good fisher  people on this site who will help you get into the right technique and gear.

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

Might be a bit heavier than you would want in an ideal set up, but if you are not targeting whiting regularly it might be ok. You don’t need to cast far to catch whiting in the surf. They are often in the foam right at your feet. You don’t need expensive gear either. A 2 - 4 kg rod around 7 or 8 feet, with an inexpensive reel like a Shimano Sienna would be fine and would handle decent flathead and most tailor if you take it easy.

If you are using a spinning reel, make sure you keep it out of the water and wash it down well after your session. Salt is a killer no matter how much you pay for your reel. Alvey reels are ideal but need a different rod so just work out how often you are going to do surf fishing, what your budget is, and work backwards from there.

Good luck and don’t forget to post your trip, even if it is a donut. Plenty of good fisher  people on this site who will help you get into the right technique and gear.

What line should I be using with the rod I have with the Sienna 2500 reel?

I would put 8lb line on it mate - then you just need to decide between braid and mono. If you are mainly using bait it would be easiest just to stick to mono in my opinion.  Are you using the 4-8kg with it?  See how you go and if you plan to do more of it, look to get a 7ft 2-4kg rod for the Sienna 2500 and also consider adding a 10ft 6 inch whiting/bream rod with a 500 sized Alvey to your artillery - if you keep an eye on Gumtree you may pick one up for around $50 like I did recently (mine was basically brand new). Good luck at Bribie - you should be able to find pipis on the waterline by shuffling your feet.

Archived