Bowen Bliss Pt.2

Ovington

To continue my Bowen adventures I decided to explore Abbot point jetty. My colleagues told me about the unstoppable GTs and I wanted a taste. A glassy morning allowed for a quick run across. Whales became a navigation hazard as they breached all around me. 

The jetty held mixed amounts of bait. I had no action on the top water so opted for a soft vibe. This technique bought some solid hits ending in bust offs from what I suspect to have been cod and finger mark. I eventually had a solid sounding and came up tight on my first Bludger Trevally at 76cm. 

20180826_091301.thumb.jpg.afa9048a0e08cdfb299dba02858bf548.jpg

20180826_091123.thumb.jpg.d784d84378db54c9071c2b0d6f08a55e.jpgAs the top of the tide approached I went back to targeting the GTs on surface. The bite was hot but my ability was not. I waved goodbye to 6 lures as monster GTs collected their souvenirs. Running locked up drag and 200lb wouldn't stop these 40kg+ brutes. I put my tail between my legs and decided to chase some mackeral on the local grounds. It was a fish each drop with schoolies and spot ties. I kept 2 and headed back towards the ramp to have a few more casts around the rocks for a GT or other pelagics. I had a few follows but didn't connect to any GTs but did manage a solid 110cm Queenie.

20180826_140956.thumb.jpg.5811abcbe1e5cb177960ddc815ed28d6.jpg

The following day I snuck out for another quick session at the rocky outcrop near the ramp and the queenies were biting well. I managed about a dozen from 80-110cm all on the topwater.

received_337287006843462.thumb.jpeg.2b39836eb3c31ab7ad322447fbf9b2ff.jpeg Amongst the school I also managed a solid 118cm longtail which was a nice surprise and took my lure at the rod tip before a huge first run and a 15minute fight. Got a few quick snaps and sent it back after a 15minute recovery swim. 

received_329220307643868.thumb.jpeg.f66f6a89980a5c23be2fdfd0a4ca2ce0.jpeg

Overall I am enjoying the Bowen life an look forward to nailing a few of these BIG GTs once I have geared up properly and have figured out how to drag them out of the pylons!

Abbot point livings up even more at night it is an incredible fishery up there around the jetty, I have found the mackerel on the patch don't bite as well early morning like they do down here it is late morning they really come on those calm spring days. The rocky outcrop called inamika rock has some big Spanish mackerel run there some days the biggest I ever saw was 50kg an absolute monster just south of there in the bay before stoney island there is some coral bommies they call the southern cross reef it will hold coral trout and is a good little reef close to shore. 

3 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Ok @Ovington, that will be quite enough reports from God’s country thank you! Some of us have to fish Moreton Bay you know.....  

I agree Steve - I'm starting to dislike him now ......... :whistle:  Imagine how jealous we'll be once he's been there a while and knows how to fish it properly .......  :frantics:  I still reckon the grinner fishing is better down here though, so he hasn't got it all his own way ........ 🙂 

Top report and fish @Ovington - some crackers there and I can't wait til you gear up and have another crack at those GT's. Out of interest what gear were you using against them this time?

1 minute ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I agree Steve - I'm starting to dislike him now ......... :whistle:  Imagine how jealous we'll be once he's been there a while and knows how to fish it properly .......  :frantics:  I still reckon the grinner fishing is better down here though, so he hasn't got it all his own way ........ 🙂 

Top report and fish @Ovington - some crackers there and I can't wait til you gear up and have another crack at those GT's. Out of interest what gear were you using against them this time?

Old Saragosa 18000 with 80lb braid and 200lb leader, shimano Tcurve 24kg stickbait rod. 

Looking at getting a Saltiga 5000h now, I know it's a smaller reel but its something I can cast without dislocating my shoulder and after a nicer rod too, haven't decided which yet. 

45 minutes ago, tugger said:

Abbot point livings up even more at night it is an incredible fishery up there around the jetty, I have found the mackerel on the patch don't bite as well early morning like they do down here it is late morning they really come on those calm spring days. The rocky outcrop called inamika rock has some big Spanish mackerel run there some days the biggest I ever saw was 50kg an absolute monster just south of there in the bay before stoney island there is some coral bommies they call the southern cross reef it will hold coral trout and is a good little reef close to shore. 

Cheers mate. Had a bite off and a follow from Spanish around those rocks too. Definitely hope to tangle with them soon

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Far out! great report.

When I grow up I want to get a Stella 30000. I probably will never get one 🙂

How good are Queen fish on topwater! It has been a long time between drinks. 

What soft vibes were you using?

Also it looks like you upgraded they trebles? Do you have a fave?

30000 is huge haha. Maybe if I was switchbaiting 1000lb blacks. 

Yea Queenies are always a blast and seem to be fairly consistent so it's a good way to get my mojo on. 

A combination of Zerek fish traps and threadybusters, the fish didn't seem too fussy. 

My treble choice comes down to the lure and application but I either run bkk Raptors or Gtrex on the big stuff. 

1 hour ago, Ovington said:

30000 is huge haha. Maybe if I was switchbaiting 1000lb blacks. 

Yea Queenies are always a blast and seem to be fairly consistent so it's a good way to get my mojo on. 

A combination of Zerek fish traps and threadybusters, the fish didn't seem too fussy. 

My treble choice comes down to the lure and application but I either run bkk Raptors or Gtrex on the big stuff. 

Awesome thanks mate. 

45 minutes ago, Andrew_P said:

Awesome! Living the dream! Must get you pumped to chase the big salty donkeys. Collecting the broodstock would be fun too. 

Yea mate certainly feels like a constant holiday. Think we are good for broodstock for a while but it won't stop me chasing them hah

On 10/09/2018 at 7:44 PM, Ovington said:

Old Saragosa 18000 with 80lb braid and 200lb leader, shimano Tcurve 24kg stickbait rod. 

Looking at getting a Saltiga 5000h now, I know it's a smaller reel but its something I can cast without dislocating my shoulder and after a nicer rod too, haven't decided which yet. 

Hey I bought a nice Daiwa Saltist 6ft spin rod I think PE3-6 I used to use up at Innisfail flicking slugs at Mackie and tuna out near the reef it was a nice rod. 

4 hours ago, natang said:

Hey I bought a nice Daiwa Saltist 6ft spin rod I think PE3-6 I used to use up at Innisfail flicking slugs at Mackie and tuna out near the reef it was a nice rod. 

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking at the Saltist Demon blood range and the Venom series in the PE5-6 range. I just need to make a trip to a store that stocks them so I can have a feel for myself and decided how much money I want to spend 

24 minutes ago, Ovington said:

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking at the Saltist Demon blood range and the Venom series in the PE5-6 range. I just need to make a trip to a store that stocks them so I can have a feel for myself and decided how much money I want to spend 

Ovington that was the problem I found them more in Anaconda stores then anywhere else.... Bloody nice rod and I had it paired with Daiwa 3500 reel from memory..... I lost all my gear a few weeks ago break and enter.. But all good soon I will have a check from Insurance and get to go shopping from scratch as I have no rods left...... YAYAYA

18 minutes ago, natang said:

Ovington that was the problem I found them more in Anaconda stores then anywhere else.... Bloody nice rod and I had it paired with Daiwa 3500 reel from memory..... I lost all my gear a few weeks ago break and enter.. But all good soon I will have a check from Insurance and get to go shopping from scratch as I have no rods left...... YAYAYA

Oh true. I think I will be looking at 7-8ft Rods mostly. Sorry to hear about the break in mate. Hope the insurance covers it ok. Nothing like freshening up the line up

1 minute ago, Ovington said:

Oh true. I think I will be looking at 7-8ft Rods mostly. Sorry to hear about the break in mate. Hope the insurance covers it ok. Nothing like freshening up the line up

Saltist I had was the BBJ Series and only 6ft 7-8 ft probs much better. I have a half cuddy cabin boat so with two comfy fishing 7-8ft rods but with three i tended to go with 6ft. However I prefer the whipiness of the 7ft rods as it gives extra flick for the lure... Let me know what you go with hey! Yeah bastards took 18 rods..... All good everything is replaceable and no one got hurt the logic of my 7 year old! 

13 hours ago, natang said:

Mate that is an exciting day!

Hope it all works out for you. 

Archived