My Fishing Experience Using Drone

dhingchakdude

Hi All,

So finally I had my set up ready and I went for fishing today, this is my rig. I used 950 ssm, 30lb braid, 30lb fluorocarbon leader. And my drone.

I was able to cast far away, however I was not able to catch any fish. May be because of the bait I used.. I used goat liver as bait, it had blood in it and I thought I would be ideal for snapper.But I never got a single bite for more than 20 minutes.

Questions:

1) I had  wind knots, so I had to cut the braid and tie it together using double Uni Knot. I hope this won't affect the line strength. While reeling in, some sea weed was caught in  my braid, will this reduce the braid's quality if it rubs against the sea weed?

2) May I know if meat can be used as bait?

WhatsApp Image 2018-09-13 at 12.11.44.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-09-13 at 12.10.59.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-09-13 at 12.52.25.jpeg

2 hours ago, dhingchakdude said:

Does having 2 uni knots on braid affect its strength?

I have goat lungs, liver, and heart.. some of it has blood as well 

I guess your neighbour hasn’t seen his pet goat lately then? Only kidding mate, I have heard of people using bullocks heart for whiting bait so no reason it wouldn’t catch something. You might hook up to a decent shark.

LOL @ neighbour's goat..

I don't want to catch a shark, I need any fish which has protein... lol

I am trying to save my fish expense by catching fish for free.

I tied that braid with each other using 10 rounds each on 2 uni knots, I seriously hope that won't break the knot once j catch a snapper or tuna.. .

I will post a video soon...

If you want snapper mate then get a pilly out there or a good size squid or both.

Id try a paternoster with both. Even cut down to half a pilly but still a full squid, And by squid Im not talking those little poor baby ones in the service station bait freezer that never get a chance at life. You want one about 200mm or longer. If you cant find anyone selling them then go and fish for them at night under any light posts that are over the water or reflecting into the water. Marinas and boat ramps are a good place. 

Plan to be there for 6hrs or more. A tide swing so to speak. 3hrs either side of high or low. You need a decent period of time to cover for a better chance at "being there at the right time". 

I think it is really cool that you are doing this and reporting it. You may just get me interested. I fly RC planes and have a shed full of them. Maybe, just maybe I may part with one for a quad. 

Have you got a camera on the quad? 

1 hour ago, Junky said:

If you want snapper mate then get a pilly out there or a good size squid or both.

Id try a paternoster with both. Even cut down to half a pilly but still a full squid, And by squid Im not talking those little poor baby ones in the service station bait freezer that never get a chance at life. You want one about 200mm or longer. If you cant find anyone selling them then go and fish for them at night under any light posts that are over the water or reflecting into the water. Marinas and boat ramps are a good place. 

Plan to be there for 6hrs or more. A tide swing so to speak. 3hrs either side of high or low. You need a decent period of time to cover for a better chance at "being there at the right time". 

I think it is really cool that you are doing this and reporting it. You may just get me interested. I fly RC planes and have a shed full of them. Maybe, just maybe I may part with one for a quad. 

I have this lure , can this be used for snapper? 

Shimano

As far as squids are concerned which lure can I use to catch them?

I will be setting up full FPV soon, right now I am trying to get better range by installing high performance antenna.

I will post video of drone dropping bait, but a FPV view might not be soon.

You can Google Drobe fishing Australia and see a guy catching tuna from a P3

I bought a cheap excellent quality drone with GPS. Bayangtoys X16 

If I loose it then no regrets of looking expensive 1000$ drone

4 hours ago, dhingchakdude said:

I have this lure , can this be used for snapper? 

Shimano

As far as squids are concerned which lure can I use to catch them?

I will be setting up full FPV soon, right now I am trying to get better range by installing high performance antenna.

I will post video of drone dropping bait, but a FPV view might not be soon.

You can Google Drobe fishing Australia and see a guy catching tuna from a P3

I bought a cheap excellent quality drone with GPS. Bayangtoys X16 

If I loose it then no regrets of looking expensive 1000$ drone

I'm sure that lure will work. But it is more designed for vertical jigging out of a boat. 

Squid can be caught with squid jigs or bait on a squid skewer.

Jigs or EGIs as they're known are like lures specially designed to hold onto squid with the way their hooking system works, or barbs as theyre known. They range in color, size and weight. Grab a few and try them out. Techniques vary but I tend to cast out and pausing every couple of winds. 

The skewer is used when bait fishing. 

It is basically a stainless skewer with the same barbs as the jigs. Insert the skewer up through the length of a pilly or bait fish and away you go. In deep water you just cast them out and let them drift around in the current. If the current is strong then you can add some weight. In shallow water you simply suspend them mid water under some sort of float.

In either case you don't want your bait on the surface. It has to be below. I like to concentrate on the 1/2 to 3/4 depth range above coffee rock reef or some sort of structure. But I am in a boat. 

You could try and suspend one off a jetty or pontoon. 

Good luck and keep us posted. 

9 hours ago, Junky said:

I'm sure that lure will work. But it is more designed for vertical jigging out of a boat. 

Squid can be caught with squid jigs or bait on a squid skewer.

Jigs or EGIs as they're known are like lures specially designed to hold onto squid with the way their hooking system works, or barbs as theyre known. They range in color, size and weight. Grab a few and try them out. Techniques vary but I tend to cast out and pausing every couple of winds. 

The skewer is used when bait fishing. 

It is basically a stainless skewer with the same barbs as the jigs. Insert the skewer up through the length of a pilly or bait fish and away you go. In deep water you just cast them out and let them drift around in the current. If the current is strong then you can add some weight. In shallow water you simply suspend them mid water under some sort of float.

In either case you don't want your bait on the surface. It has to be below. I like to concentrate on the 1/2 to 3/4 depth range above coffee rock reef or some sort of structure. But I am in a boat. 

You could try and suspend one off a jetty or pontoon. 

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Great post Junky.

Do what Junky said and you are in with a great chance. 

16 hours ago, Junky said:

Do it!! I would love to see the results. 🙂

10 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Do it!! I would love to see the results. 🙂

Oohhhh it is tempting. Beach fishing would be a lot easier, and my kids would hang around a little longer too, maybe. The kids lose interest quick if the bite is slow. 

I would also like one for trolling. Sit it out over the top of the spread and get a birds eye view of the strike and catch. Pretty sure they have a follow me function on the djs so once you set your height and distance it will do the rest. 

There was also a prototype quad that I saw on youtube called "lilly". It didn't require direct control with a transmitter. It was basically a puck transmitter that you wear like a watch. It had buttons for setting certain angles distances etc and you just threw it in the air and away it went. Unfortunately they never released it. But if that stuff is out there then it won't be long untill they do get released. 

11 hours ago, Junky said:

Oohhhh it is tempting. Beach fishing would be a lot easier, and my kids would hang around a little longer too, maybe. The kids lose interest quick if the bite is slow. 

I would also like one for trolling. Sit it out over the top of the spread and get a birds eye view of the strike and catch. Pretty sure they have a follow me function on the djs so once you set your height and distance it will do the rest. 

There was also a prototype quad that I saw on youtube called "lilly". It didn't require direct control with a transmitter. It was basically a puck transmitter that you wear like a watch. It had buttons for setting certain angles distances etc and you just threw it in the air and away it went. Unfortunately they never released it. But if that stuff is out there then it won't be long untill they do get released. 

Yep very cool. 

I have worked with octo's for large film cameras a fair bit. It won't be long until they are redundant as they are big and clunky and really dangerous to have on a work site. The small HD cameras are so good. Lenses are still the thing that lets them down a little. 

I agree that would be awesome to see the follows and takes from above. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

seems to work in a high rise office... 

I did not get your point "high rise office"?

Someone at the beach told me the best time is half an before and after tide change.

Do, you think it could be something wrong with the bait or I would have to cast out way further?

I will be trying squid jig today, I bought jarvis walker razorblade squid jig pack...

5 hours ago, dhingchakdude said:

I did not get your point "high rise office"?

The video that you posted is of a dude in an office. I think it might be better if he tried using it in the water.

I am not sure on your bates mate. They are unusual. I can't see why they wouldn't work. Dropping a bait out randomly in the middle of nowhere in particular can mean that you will have to wait for a long time for something to come along. I say just keep trying and put a few more hours in. 

30 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Reef fish like structure, so if you're not getting your baits near structure you are pushing poo uphill. Distance from shore is not a guarantee of fish - they may be closer in.

I met someone who told me that where I am fishing its all sand bed and is shallow waters... (

I did talk to the local bait shop guy and he said that within 400-500m I could find snappers... but, I will catch a squid first and use it as bait for catching other fishes, plus the winds are super duper high, not suitable for flying a drone out.....

7 hours ago, ellicat said:

So from the chart you can see that high tide on Thursday morning is at 8.49am so 1/2 hour each
side of that = 8.19am to 9.19am.

The tide changes from coming in to going out at 8:49am.

7 hours ago, aussie123 said:

That chart is totally wrong for Friday so don't follow it for that day

Thanks guys, I will try today at around 8:19 - 9:19 and see if i can catch something.... (evil laugh....hehehehe hahahah HA)

1 hour ago, dhingchakdude said:

Thanks guys, I will try today at around 8:19 - 9:19 and see if i can catch something.... (evil laugh....hehehehe hahahah HA)

You really need to put in a bit more time than that mate one hour is simply not enough to give your self a chance.

I fish at least two hours either side of a high or a low and frequently fish all the way through from high to low or vice versa. 

5 hours ago, Fishaman said:

You really need to put in a bit more time than that mate one hour is simply not enough to give your self a chance.

I fish at least two hours either side of a high or a low and frequently fish all the way through from high to low or vice versa. 

I got BITE today! between the tide change!! I kept trying 2 hours after the tide change as well

So, tied change can be anyone High or Low... correct?

The only thing is the bait was 80% gone, what did I do wrong ?  I was not able to hook the fish.... just where the hook starts the bait was gone right from that point...

I was using the hook which is at the center...

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-18 at 6.18.17 AM.jpeg

Archived