Sticking Braid

bulldogs195461

While fishing today, I was trying to cast a hard body, when it went out all of a sudden it would drop, the cause being my braid seem to be sticking every few metres, it's actually been doing it awhile, I'll get it respooled asap, it's been on awhile. Just wondering what causes this to happen? It was a good quality braid and been good, so I'm not complaining, just intrigued. Cheers 

What reel?

Is the line laying on the spool evenly? Bunching at either end. 

There are shims on the main shaft under the spool to tune the lay of the line. These can compress, crack, go missing if you take your spool off regularly. This will then cause the line to bunch at the tip of the spool more and leave gaps at the base. 

Has the braid snapped before and you have had to rejoined it? Part of the knot could be protruding through the lower lays of line causing a snag. 

Burrs around the top of the spool on the outer rim edge can catch line intermittent. 

13 hours ago, bulldogs195461 said:

It's actually like it's fused every couple of metres, best way to describe, just enough to stop a cast in its tracks, once my line is put on at the tackle shop, I don't touch it, I'm very 

What reel have you got?  

11 hours ago, Luke Landrunner said:

If out on a boat, attach your heaviest lure and leave it in the water and drive off until 3/4 spooled. Stop and retrieve while watching for correct line lay.

On land go to a park with open space, tie to a tree and go for a walk and then reel in under tension etc. Don't take the dog with you. 

Do this before you get new braid. 

I don't like anyone spooling my reels. Especially on those machines. The reels lay the line correctly to prevent underbinding. 

Archived