Bassnutter78

Hi all

I am planning a trip to toonumbar dam to chase some bass. I have never fished the place. I am wondering how itis fishing a swell as can I use my petrol outboard on the the dam or is it electric only?  

I also see u can camp near the dam. Can anyone tell me what the campsites are like?

Regards Chris

On 01/10/2018 at 3:40 PM, Bassnutter78 said:

Hi all

I am planning a trip to toonumbar dam to chase some bass. I have never fished the place. I am wondering how itis fishing a swell as can I use my petrol outboard on the the dam or is it electric only?  

I also see u can camp near the dam. Can anyone tell me what the campsites are like?

Regards Chris

Hey Chris,

I don't even know where it is?

Got any pics of it?

Toonumbar is beautiful. 30min west of kyogle. It's not a wide dam but long and winds through some really nice country. I've never fished it but have ridden dirt bikes all around it...well sort of. 

I think it's 4 stroke only. It definitely has an 8kn speed limit. There are 2 ramps. One at the dam wall and the other at bells bay. Bells bay ramp is steep but still usable for smaller boats. There is a pontoon there, just but it still does the job. The kids were jumping off it. 

The dam wall ramp is really long. 

The camp site at bells bay is elevated up from the boat ramp with fire places etc and is shady in spots. It over looks the bay area and from memory is 10 clams a night. I haven't stayed there, only day trips.

Just watch out for blue green algae if you're swimming. 

It is really picturesque with nice rock cliffs in areas. I've been told the fishing is good. 

On 05/10/2018 at 8:54 PM, Junky said:

Toonumbar is beautiful. 30min west of kyogle. It's not a wide dam but long and winds through some really nice country. I've never fished it but have ridden dirt bikes all around it...well sort of. 

I think it's 4 stroke only. It definitely has an 8kn speed limit. There are 2 ramps. One at the dam wall and the other at bells bay. Bells bay ramp is steep but still usable for smaller boats. There is a pontoon there, just but it still does the job. The kids were jumping off it. 

The dam wall ramp is really long. 

The camp site at bells bay is elevated up from the boat ramp with fire places etc and is shady in spots. It over looks the bay area and from memory is 10 clams a night. I haven't stayed there, only day trips.

Just watch out for blue green algae if you're swimming. 

It is really picturesque with nice rock cliffs in areas. I've been told the fishing is good. 

Thanks champ. 

I hope u r wrong about 4 Stroke only. I only have a 25hp 2 Stroke. But I do have a bow mount electric 

Popular camping spot to reopen after 'extensive discussions'

22nd Sep 2017 7:18 AM

A POPULAR campaing groung near Toonumbar Dam will open for the school holidays, despite the "sudden departure" of the lessee.

Kyogle Council has announced that, after "extensive discussions", the Bells Bay Camping Groung will be open next week.

Kyogle Fishing Club has taken over as interim manager on behalf of WaterNSW, current owner of the site, and Kyogle mayor Danielle Mulholland said it was a good outcome for this "key and valuable tourism asset".

"I am very pleased to see this matter progressed and to have an outcome which will benefit the community and visitors alike," she said.

"Toonumbar Dam is a feature of our region and to see it utilised more fully is an exciting prospect.

"Congratulations to the Kyogle Fishing Club for taking this on and I wish them every success."

WaterNSW is currently reviewing options for the long-term management of the Toonumbar Dam area and recreational sites.

The review process is expected to take between six to 12 months to complete.

"WaterNSW has listened to community and local government concerns, understands the importance of the camping ground and remains committed to providing public access to the dam area and recreational sites while the review takes place," said WaterNSW executive manager system operations and asset maintenance, Adrian Langdon.

The camping ground will remain open on all school and public holidays. Outside of holiday periods, operating hours during summer will be from 6pm Friday to 7pm Sunday.

Kyogle Fishing Club will be responsible for all bookings and information about the Bells Bay Camping Ground. They can be contacted on 0459 383 498 or you can email kyoglefishingclub@gmail.com for any enquiries about the grounds and fees.

Toonumbar Waters Retreat is currently unavailable for public use.

The site has been secured and will remain closed for the foreseeable future.

For more information on the long-term management of the Bells Bay Camping Site and Toonumbar Waters Retreat, visit the WaterNSW website www.waternsw.com.au.

• 5 months later...
On 01/10/2018 at 3:40 PM, Bassnutter78 said:

Hi all

Regards Chris

Hi Chris,

how did you go at Tooumbah? I haven’t been there myself and I’m thinking of heading there next week.

514963828_ScreenShot2019-03-09at10_33_28pm.png.b876a86686cf10e3fca4fc3d9646d376.png

https://www.waternsw.com.au/supply/visit/toonumbar-dam/bells-bay-camping-ground

BELLS BAY CAMPING GROUND

PUBLIC OPENING/CLOSING TIMES:

Winter AEST Fridays 6am – Sunday 5pm - (plus open on all recognised NSW Government public & school holidays)

Summer AEDT Friday 6am – Sunday 7.30pm - (plus open on all recognised NSW Government public & school holidays)

Closed: Monday – Thursday - to all vehicles/camping - (except on all recognised NSW Government public & school holidays)

FACILITIES

• Limited boat ramp & jetty access to Toonumbar Dam (patrolled by RMS)
  • Limited car parking
  • Basic unisex toilets
  • Non-potable water
  • Picnic tables & shelters
  • Designated fire pits (except in Total fire Bans)

Please note: No rubbish bins, firewood or toilet tissue provided & mobile phone coverage unreliable at this site

FEES (CASH ONLY):

Adults $10 per person per night (no concessions)

Children (5 – 17 years) $5 per person per night

Child (under 5 years) Free

Groups of 10+ By arrangement only – contact Kyogle Fishing Club on: 0459 383498

Large camp shelter hire $20 per night - by arrangement only contact as above

TERMS

• Fill-in camp information slip & deposit correct money in box - camping tags must be displayed at all times
  • Set up camp site & the patrolling warden will come to you
  • Cash only payments accepted
  • No pre-booking/set sites
  • Camp stays/payments non-transferable & non-refundable
  • Campers stay here at their own risk and are solely responsible for the safekeeping of their belongings

SITE RULES:

• No unregistered vehicles allowed
  • Under 18s must be accompanied by a responsible adult at all times
  • No pets allowed
  • Open fires/BBQs allowed in designated fire pits only (except on Total Fire Ban days)
  • Gas BBQ/stove use allowed (naked flame) - except on Total Fire Ban days
  • No firewood to be cut/collected from site
  • No fireworks allowed at any time
  • No amplified music allowed
  • Generators can be used between 8am and 10pm
  • Consider other campers and keep noise to a minimum (quiet time after 10pm)
  • Please take your litter home
  • No commercial activities or organised events allowed without prior written approval
  • Wilful damage, illegal, anti-social, threatening or abusive behaviour will not be tolerated & will be reported to the Police. These actions and/or breaches of site rules may result in the eviction of those responsible without refund.

Archived