Capricorn Coast Colour

tugger

Headed up to 1770 on Wednesday with Lance got in to town just before dark and fuelled up then set up camp at a caravan park to get rested up before heading out early the next day. Thursday the wind was dropping off so we made the most of it and got going after picking up the ice needed for a big trip the plan was 3 days on the bunker group.

As we got up amongst the reef systems the water smoothed right out and the wind was lucky to be 5 knots I say lucky because around midday there was no wind at all and getting hot. The fish bite was steady but not hectic I ended up with a nice trout and the tuskies were thick the odd red throat emperor was caught and slowly we grafted away and some quality fish.

Some of the deeper reefs were not firing and we worked out to stay shallow to find some more good fish after sunset we anchored up behind the reef for a good sleep.

Friday morning was calm and we headed out again we tried for Red emperor but again it was tough but Lance did hook 1 good red thumping away on the end of the rod after a short fight the hooks pulled. I had a hook up on another good red but got busted off and it went quiet from there. We moved around till we found them biting and I marked a couple of big arches on the furuno and Lance hooks up a nice Red we boated him and steamed back. Lance hooks up again with a nice cobia but a shark was trying to steal it lucky Lance got it to the boat before the hooks pulled bugger. 

The next drift I hook up and feel those big head thumps it was another Red for the box after that it went quiet so a move was on. More quality fish was found with some big red throat emperor turning on they always put up a good fight.

That night it was another good anchorage in behind the reef and we rose on Saturday to another beautiful day. As the morning wore on it glassed out and was just magic seeing the bright colours of the reef and clear water. We found the fish again and I got another good coral trout before the call to head home and make good time over the calm conditions.

The weather prediction was spot on for the whole trip and my boat preformed with out a hitch. This weekend I am getting another aluminium fuel tank made for under deck and will give me more room on deck this will make a big difference for these big trips. 

On Sunday Lance and I cleaned the fish while Julian, Brendan and Janelle joined us for drinks and a fresh feed of reefies. Top way to finish a great trip on the reef.

IMG_20180930_133550378.thumb.jpg.94663ef3977527dcaecba27daf4acbed.jpg

IMG_20180930_133110663.thumb.jpg.7bca156fd7b78a25bbeafc101d681893.jpg

16 hours ago, aussie123 said:

We had a really enjoyable 3 days out on the reef with a few nice fish but many good fish lost to the sharks this trip.

Anything that fought a bit was eaten really quick.

The weather and sea conditions were fantastic too.

Thanks again Mark for a another great trip.

1770.thumb.jpg.1b2dd5728afce4809d39871d12787073.jpg1770-2.thumb.jpg.c0e21e647b2eb70671f75b375d706e4c.jpg1770-1.thumb.jpg.680591b23a2fdd60ada80d1066798980.jpg

Yes those grey suits were thick at times and we did pay the tax man .

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Great trip. Well done you two. Must have been such a delight to be out there in such calm weather. 

This weekend looks pretty crook for fishing... I hope that the weekend of 12th to 14th will be better. Fingers crossed for the Wynnum Fishing Classic. 

It was mint Robbie you need it up there with slot of open water

1 hour ago, straddiebrad said:

yer can just see the gps mark😎, also you know where i can get a custom polly tanks made,how you doing yours?

Yeah I am getting mine custom made in aluminium to fit in the v berth between the bunks talk to Lance about the fella doing mine

On 05/10/2018 at 6:04 PM, tugger said:

Yeah I am getting mine custom made in aluminium to fit in the v berth between the bunks talk to Lance about the fella doing mine

I know you know what you are doing more than anyone but make sure you get those breathers right. Nothing worse than sleeping in fuel. 

58 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

I know you know what you are doing more than anyone but make sure you get those breathers right. Nothing worse than sleeping in fuel. 

Yeah we are running a breather line double the size of the fuel hose this is spot on.

Archived