Vintage Solid Glass Rods ,and Side Cast Reels ,

Carp koori

Hi guys ,

Am interested to hear , if anyone here , has or still uses old fishing rods , the solid fibreglass type , and old side cast reels ,? 

There my favourite type of fishing rods , and the sort I grew up with and used on the Edward river , love to see what everyone has in the vintage type rods , or am I the only one who still thinks there great , 🙂 

3 hours ago, Carp koori said:

Hi guys ,

Am interested to hear , if anyone here , has or still uses old fishing rods , the solid fibreglass type , and old side cast reels ,? 

There my favourite type of fishing rods , and the sort I grew up with and used on the Edward river , love to see what everyone has in the vintage type rods , or am I the only one who still thinks there great , 🙂 

I use Alvey a lot and still love it. Mostly off the rocks with a glass rod. 

Last 2 times I went fishing with @rayke1938 out at North Pine dam I used a little Alvey with a small rod. I loved it. You have to play out the line rather than relying on the drag. Makes it so much more exciting! 

I don't have any old solid glass rods but for bait fishing there is nothing better. 

Lure casting is all about light rods and small eggbeaters for me. 

On 05/10/2018 at 9:13 PM, tugger said:

Yeah I still have my 1st rod it is a solid glass black queen from Jervis walker and I got my old man's black knight the 1st is 40 years old and the black knight closer to 50 yrs old. I still use them when targeting whiting I won't use anything else on whiting in the creeks.

Nice stuff. I made a stack of rods up years ago and still have a 9foot floppy thing. Its so much fun for gar and floating out bread bates for bream. 

I still have 3 Snyder Glas surf rods with Alveys (1 heavy and 2 light surf rods that I bought for my boys when they were young).  I still love surf fishing with Alveys and rinsing the sand out of them in the surf. Also have a Wilson Heritage 8 foot rod that I bought when I was feeling nostalgic for the old school rods a few years ago. I thought I would keep it for blackfish or bream fishing with bait but don’t do much of of this sort of fishing.  It certainly feels weird after using the modern rods.

20 hours ago, Carp koori said:

http://s187.photobucket.com/user/jase293/media/1304D698-5270-44B0-B8C9-FF52B60F6F57.jpeg.html]1304D698-5270-44B0-B8C9-FF52B60F6F57.jpe[/URL

here is a pic of my old rods , sorry I’m not good at posting pics 

How are you mate, love those old rods, is that a length of one of those pool noodles that you have on the wall to support your rods, appears you have mad a slit for each rod and maybe just push the rod in and it is held firm, would like to know if thats the case, great idea if it is😎

MSB

• 2 months later...

Jarvis Walker still manufacture solid glass rods. Many years ago I used my mates JW Black Queen and had to have one. Things changed, I took up Coarse fishing for a few years. But a few health issues put a stop to that, so quite a bit of gear was sold. These days I'm just a bait soaker. One afternoon while checking out fishing gear on the net I came across the Hooked on Line site, Wow, Jarvis Walker Black Queen, and Black Queen Deluxe rods on special. The boss when she saw the prices, said  if you want them order them. I didn't think twice.  I've only got 7 rods now down from about 20, The 2 Black Queens my favourites and  5 Telescopic for easy storage and transport. We were at Kmart just before Christmas, they had Erskine combos pretty cheap. I'm pretty sure the Erskine is solid glass.

On 29/12/2018 at 4:51 PM, Carpie1 said:

Jarvis Walker still manufacture solid glass rods. Many years ago I used my mates JW Black Queen and had to have one. Things changed, I took up Coarse fishing for a few years. But a few health issues put a stop to that, so quite a bit of gear was sold. These days I'm just a bait soaker. One afternoon while checking out fishing gear on the net I came across the Hooked on Line site, Wow, Jarvis Walker Black Queen, and Black Queen Deluxe rods on special. The boss when she saw the prices, said  if you want them order them. I didn't think twice.  I've only got 7 rods now down from about 20, The 2 Black Queens my favourites and  5 Telescopic for easy storage and transport. We were at Kmart just before Christmas, they had Erskine combos pretty cheap. I'm pretty sure the Erskine is solid glass.

Nice. I don't know how many rods I have... I know I have a lot of broken ones haha. I need to sort out some more rod storage before I buy any more. 

I think I will use a system like to pool noodle one. lots of bang for your buck!

• 6 months later...
On 09/10/2018 at 11:21 AM, natang said:

I have an old glass rod of grandads it is the whippiest rod I've ever used. It is awesome for bream, bass and whiting. But a small bream bends it like a huge Flattie!!

Is it a 2 piece JW Clarence green rod by any chance?  I have my father's old one here that he bought back in early 70s.  Whippiest rod I have ever seen too.

I have an old school wooden alvey and a couple of old cane surf rods as well. I don’t use them but reckon they would all still do the job.

also have an old solid glass rod somewhere, not sure where it is or what it is - got gifted it (and the old alvey) by an old neighbour before he passed on.

• 2 months later...
On 04/10/2018 at 12:06 PM, Carp koori said:

Hi guys ,

When my health started going down I sold and give away most of my coarse gear as well as a lot of good name brand rods and reels. I also sold my small collection of old solid glass rods, and reels. There was 3 old JW's among them 3 Alvey side casts a couple of Alpha center pin, Steelite side cast, Academy, a couple of old Daiwa egg beaters and a couple of very early Ryobi.

My health has been stable for a while now. I have always loved my fishing, So back to the beginning I picked up a JW Black Queen, a JW Black Queen deluxe off Ebay "QLD" they were both new. The price including post was around $40, a few weeks ago my wife got me an Erskine Deluxe rod new only $18. The reels I have been using are Daiwa 1000 and a 1500 both would be well over 30 years old and still do the job. These days I mostly target the old mud marlin. Getting a decent carp on the light gear I use everything feels like a whale. Another oldie I still use when we go away is a Rex Hunt Shimano Out and Back Telescopic Combo with a Shimano IX 2000R Reel. This combo would have to be well over 30 years old. I have caught a few decent fish on it and never had a problem with the rod or reel. These days I go fishing to relax forget my problems and enjoy myself, if I catch a fish it's a bonus. 

Hope you manage to get back to it "Mighty Carp".  Some monster Carp in the River Torrens I hooked onto and that was over 20 years ago.  Some of those must be truly huge ugly grotesque fish by now!  but they certainly fought well.  When I was younger I had 651C5 and 550C1 reels I used for chasing Eaglerays of the local jetties and a MT8144 rod I custom made (651C5) and the other was a Butterworth 2 piece surf rod (550C1).  Those were exciting times but nowadays I'm not interested in doing anymore and just want to catch a nice fresh feed of fish for the table.

I have 15 ALVEY reels in my collection now.  It started when I sold my 651 and 550 many years ago and just had to replace them.  I'm like you with health issues but I want to get out and do some fishing this summer from the beach using one of the normal spool size 600C reels coupled to one of 3 x BigW Force Ten/FT1200 12ft 2 piece rods combos,  cheap reels but purchased to low mount the 600C on using reel seat mount taped to lower part of handle.  If I ever get back to it I will modify to take the cylindrical seats I purchased and it will then have dual mount low and high reel seats.  An Alvey open runner is affixed to a section of 1/4 of PVC pipe that fits into the high mount real seat and works out really nice as can be removed.  If I want I can mount the Egg beaters instead.