straddiebrad

1 hour ago, straddiebrad said:

where is a good place to get live mullet from as i dont do too much bait fishing in the brissy river but next weekend i will be taking the grand kids in the comp and will be looking for live mullet.thanks brad

Haven’t done it for a while but used to regular cast net them at the poo shoot. If your chasing Jew or threadies I find that the big live herring also from poo shoot produce better results than the mullet imo 

If you try in front of the poo shoot and it is quiet, try just around the far corner of it up against the concrete wall as it often holds some bait,. Also just random throws on the flats to the side of the poo shoot can produce a variety also (mullet, herring & gar mostly). Another spot I used to get mullet reasonably consistently was the inlet to the right after you go under the POB bridge at Whytes Island (ie. when you're heading towards the river from the ramp). If you go straight into the section that is straight ahead (I think the part on the left is very shallow) you can follow the water basically right to the end and they can be caught right up that stretch. Just ensure you have enough tide so you don't get stuck on an outgoing tide. Good luck!!  Going to enter my two boys - yet to hatch a plan for them yet, will look at the weather and tides at some stage.

Poo Shute is reliable, but I would avoid the run out tide because I think that is when they release the gates. I got a rash on my arms after castnetting there on the run out tide that took 3 weeks to disappear. Another spot to try for mullet is in the little creek behind the tug station, but you need plenty of water to get up it.  Good luck to you and the kids in the comp Brad.

On 07/10/2018 at 8:08 PM, Old Scaley said:

Poo Shute is reliable, but I would avoid the run out tide because I think that is when they release the gates. I got a rash on my arms after castnetting there on the run out tide that took 3 weeks to disappear. Another spot to try for mullet is in the little creek behind the tug station, but you need plenty of water to get up it.  Good luck to you and the kids in the comp Brad.

Ewww. Glad it cleared up. I am really keen to try that spot in the creek. 

On 08/10/2018 at 8:21 AM, tugger said:

I have always done alright at the comslie boat ramp I have casted off the floating pontoon and the concrete fishing platform

I have gotten prawns from there as well. There are some oyster at the base of the stairs from the rock groin there. I lost a net there one day. 

On 07/10/2018 at 7:50 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

If you try in front of the poo shoot and it is quiet, try just around the far corner of it up against the concrete wall as it often holds some bait,. Also just random throws on the flats to the side of the poo shoot can produce a variety also (mullet, herring & gar mostly). Another spot I used to get mullet reasonably consistently was the inlet to the right after you go under the POB bridge at Whytes Island (ie. when you're heading towards the river from the ramp). If you go straight into the section that is straight ahead (I think the part on the left is very shallow) you can follow the water basically right to the end and they can be caught right up that stretch. Just ensure you have enough tide so you don't get stuck on an outgoing tide. Good luck!!  Going to enter my two boys - yet to hatch a plan for them yet, will look at the weather and tides at some stage.

I hope that some of the kids and some of the adults from AFO win Champion angler or any of the prizes. Check out the prize packs!!!! There are more prizes to go in them as well not to mention the 2 boats.

Bream JR.jpg

Bream.jpg

Champion Angler JR.jpg

Champion Angler.jpg

Flathead JR.jpg

Flathead.jpg

Snapper JR.jpg

Snapper.jpg

Threadfin Salmon or Mulloway JR.jpg

Threadfin Salmon or Mulloway.jpg

Whiting JR.jpg

Whiting.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2018 at 8:08 PM, Old Scaley said:

That might be the reason why when I cast net Poo shoot on a run out tide, one cast and I’m good to go 😂. All that extra “food” floating around. Higher in the tide cycle  requires a couple of extra casts. 

1 hour ago, Hweebe said:

That might be the reason why when I cast net Poo shoot on a run out tide, one cast and I’m good to go 😂. All that extra “food” floating around. Higher in the tide cycle  requires a couple of extra casts. 

Are there many snags around there? Do you go right at the exit of the shoot?  What species do you normally catch? 

Archived