Low-mid Range Popping Rods

JustPez

Afternoon fellas, first post on the page looking forward to getting more involved.

Was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Saltist Popping rod ST802XH? Will be doing a few trips to Exmouth next year and want to give popping a go mostly from shore possibly a few trips on a boat. Don't want to spend bulk coin incase I find popping isn't the type of fishing for me. Was looking at the Saltist paired with a Penn Slammer 3, but also been looking at the Samurai Pop rods for a little bit more. Anyone got other rod recommendations or experience with either of those rods?

Hi mate,

I have just been through a similar situation. It really depends if you want a dedicated "popping rod" or  all rounder. What line were you planning on running? I dont know what lure styles I will be running mostly so decided on more of an all rounder and went for the Saltigax pe 8-10. And once I figure out what lures I like throwing I will invest in a more specialized rod. Demonbloods are very popular but probably slightly overpriced for what they are. I'd suggest the Majorcraft series or check out Feed rods as they have some good options too. 

14 hours ago, JustPez said:

Afternoon fellas, first post on the page looking forward to getting more involved.

Was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Saltist Popping rod ST802XH? Will be doing a few trips to Exmouth next year and want to give popping a go mostly from shore possibly a few trips on a boat. Don't want to spend bulk coin incase I find popping isn't the type of fishing for me. Was looking at the Saltist paired with a Penn Slammer 3, but also been looking at the Samurai Pop rods for a little bit more. Anyone got other rod recommendations or experience with either of those rods?

Gday mate. Welcome to the forum. 

9 hours ago, Ovington said:

I'd suggest the Majorcraft series or check out Feed rods as they have some good options too. 

Cheers for the advice mate, was probably looking at PE 6-8 with 150-200lb leader the Saltist I looked at was rated 150-300g for lures which seemed on the high end of weights something around 80-200 would be better suited for me. Will check out the brands you mentioned however.

On 09/10/2018 at 3:45 PM, JustPez said:

Cheers for the advice mate, was probably looking at PE 6-8 with 150-200lb leader the Saltist I looked at was rated 150-300g for lures which seemed on the high end of weights something around 80-200 would be better suited for me. Will check out the brands you mentioned however.

Good luck mate. Let us know how you go with it. Those big rods and reels take it of you after a little while. 

Archived