Helps With Spots And Tips

jhedrick

Hey guys, 

I've been a bit down of late, working night shift and having life stuff to do on my days off makes Jordan a sad soul. 

I haven't had my boat out in almost two months but was thinking about taking it out tomorrow and sleeping on it all night. 

The species I would love to catch are bullsharks, threadfin, Jewish, cobia and snapper. Just because it's easy I was thinking about fishing the mouth of Brisbane river using live bait and probably pilchards if I can't can't anything. 

Any suggestions on spots, rigs or what bait to choose. I could go Moreton Bay but the weather is so unpredictable at the moment and can always sleep under massive bridge. 

Anyway I wish I could be camping but this stupid weather hey. 

Any suggestions always welcome

livies will get smashed by all of the above species you mentioned. Just make sure you use wire or cable trace if you target the sharks.

like @Drop Bear suggested, freshwater eel is hard to go past for shark bait. otherwise, whole mullet is a good go to

fishing the drop off at luggage point is a good spot to start. or for the sharks, you can sit near the channel markers further out in the mouth ad try to float baits out and try to fish the drop off into the channel, just dont anchor in the channel itself (not allowed to...tends to upset port secuirty haha

i know your pain in regards to not being able to go out, hurts my soul too lol good luck out there mate

image.thumb.png.a258276676c1f412078c69e5944492d4.png

image.png.dd971e6c57f6dfa4e7217c37a3b887ad.png

26 minutes ago, christophagus said:

livies will get smashed by all of the above species you mentioned. Just make sure you use wire or cable trace if you target the sharks.

like @Drop Bear suggested, freshwater eel is hard to go past for shark bait. otherwise, whole mullet is a good go to

fishing the drop off at luggage point is a good spot to start. or for the sharks, you can sit near the channel markers further out in the mouth ad try to float baits out and try to fish the drop off into the channel, just dont anchor in the channel itself (not allowed to...tends to upset port secuirty haha

i know your pain in regards to not being able to go out, hurts my soul too lol good luck out there mate

image.thumb.png.a258276676c1f412078c69e5944492d4.png

image.png.dd971e6c57f6dfa4e7217c37a3b887ad.png

Pro tip thanks for that. Thanks for doing the maps too! 

1 hour ago, straddiebrad said:

pretty much on the left going out the river as you come out from fishermans island straight across the river

Yep, runs from Luggage Point and along the front of Boggy Creek. That dogleg area is where I got my first ever legal jewie Brad. Some good info here @jhedrick - if you are throwing a net for livies try around the poo schute at Luggage Point. Just be careful where you anchor up and sleep for the night and make sure you have your anchor light on - don't want to get a fine or worst still run over by a large ship ...... 🙂 Good luck!!  Oh and if you want to hedge your bets, depending on what size bait you are using, you could have one line with wire trace for sharks and another just mono for snapper, jewies, threadies, or alternatively if using pillies/fillet bait just use ganged hooks.

Holy **** what a large amount of information lol. I was going to go out tonight but my shift last night got cancelled and a slab of beer got in my road. I think I will go out next Friday or Saturday and try and hunt down some eel during the week. 

Also need to figure out how to set the drag on my tld25. Looks pretty simple just need to find some weights. 

Ps I love the maps by the way. Very helpful. This group forum is pretty damn useful 

Don’t need weights to set your drag, just a set of spring scales. Rule of thumb set the drag to the 1/3 of the breaking strain of the line you are using. 

Have someone hold the rod at 45 degrees connect the scales to your line and slowly walk back at walking pace. Have person holding the rod adjust the drag tighter or looser till you have the pressure you want. 

Example if you are using 15kg line set your drag to 5kg. 

On 19/10/2018 at 12:35 PM, jhedrick said:

Holy **** what a large amount of information lol. I was going to go out tonight but my shift last night got cancelled and a slab of beer got in my road. I think I will go out next Friday or Saturday and try and hunt down some eel during the week. 

Also need to figure out how to set the drag on my tld25. Looks pretty simple just need to find some weights. 

Ps I love the maps by the way. Very helpful. This group forum is pretty damn useful 

I have used pliers to tighten the main screw on the TLD. I don't think this is in the instruction manual... 

On 19/10/2018 at 7:08 PM, Luvit said:

Don’t need weights to set your drag, just a set of spring scales. Rule of thumb set the drag to the 1/3 of the breaking strain of the line you are using. 

Have someone hold the rod at 45 degrees connect the scales to your line and slowly walk back at walking pace. Have person holding the rod adjust the drag tighter or looser till you have the pressure you want. 

Example if you are using 15kg line set your drag to 5kg. 

So I couldn't find any scales in my neighbourhood but I did find a luggage weighing set of scales that will do the same job. 

So I've set my drag.... Just went over my boat and thought I had to replace a fuse to get my live bait tank going... It must be fried because it doesn't make a sound. Regardless my next step is finding where I can find some fresh water eel for bait in Brisbane. I'm having trouble. I really feel like some flake for dinner. I've got some hairtail in the freezer from the last adventure I went on I'm thinking about using that. 

1 hour ago, jhedrick said:

So I've set my drag.... Just went over my boat and thought I had to replace a fuse to get my live bait tank going... It must be fried because it doesn't make a sound. Regardless my next step is finding where I can find some fresh water eel for bait in Brisbane. I'm having trouble. I really feel like some flake for dinner. I've got some hairtail in the freezer from the last adventure I went on I'm thinking about using that. 

eel is not essential but it is a good bait. Pretty much every fresh water creek or dam or wear will have them. What side of town are you? I just use a hand line and something tough like chicken heart or even some tough old meat. They are slimy buggers. I cut them into big chunks and freeze them. 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

eel is not essential but it is a good bait. Pretty much every fresh water creek or dam or wear will have them. What side of town are you? I just use a hand line and something tough like chicken heart or even some tough old meat. They are slimy buggers. I cut them into big chunks and freeze them. 

I use to catch eel heaps in Victoria just with liver hand line and a float. But I live in toowong and the closest bait to me is miles away. I'm in a dead zone. But I found some in springwood. Always keen for an eel fish. I quit work without lining up a job and they just changed the roster to 3 days on 3 days off 12 hour days. Unsure if I should as for that. I'm use to working in the mines or wineries. God I need a career. Regardless I need to focus on flake

• 1 month later...
On 23/10/2018 at 6:36 PM, jhedrick said:

I use to catch eel heaps in Victoria just with liver hand line and a float. But I live in toowong and the closest bait to me is miles away. I'm in a dead zone. But I found some in springwood. Always keen for an eel fish. I quit work without lining up a job and they just changed the roster to 3 days on 3 days off 12 hour days. Unsure if I should as for that. I'm use to working in the mines or wineries. God I need a career. Regardless I need to focus on flake

I'm not sure if Moggill creek is closer than springwood for you but there are plenty in there.

been away with work last few months, AFO hasn't had the love and care it needs.  I got 5 squire and a rock cod in the port last week and lost a few monsters!!  Be keen to hook up with anyone just before christmas, the tides look ok at night (HT 9.30pm) for a few threads or a Jew

On 14/12/2018 at 11:18 AM, Simo68 said:

been away with work last few months, AFO hasn't had the love and care it needs.  I got 5 squire and a rock cod in the port last week and lost a few monsters!!  Be keen to hook up with anyone just before christmas, the tides look ok at night (HT 9.30pm) for a few threads or a Jew

The wind looks fantastic for Wed and thurs if you can get out. I am going offshore with a mate tomorrow and prepping for Noosa so cant make this week. 

On 14/12/2018 at 11:18 AM, Simo68 said:

Glad you did so well. Got any Pics? 

the squire were beautiful, exquisite blue spots on them, and the rock cod had 3 gang hooks in its throat, plus the three gang hooks from my rod, a bit of surgery needed and returned.

largest squire was 35cm, first one was caught on Sabiki rod that was out for livies with a sliver of squid......immediately changed all bait/plastics to squid and we were on!!!

IMG_8300.thumb.jpg.fc69dc5a6f820042518d6ac89f714529.jpgIMG_8268.jpg.ab9f6bc5fff5a0aeb2d08336970a7266.jpg

IMG_8301.thumb.jpg.801ce138ce980bd1968350585555acc9.jpg

Archived