Drone Fishing Question

Better Tackle

Me and a mate have just bought a drone together for something a bit different and in all honesty I am just wondering what sort of rig set up do people use for it.

For beach fishing when we go 4x4 when I feel like a bit of adventure instead of taking the boat out.

Does anyone here use drones and if so what set up do you use?

Hey Ozzy Fisho. There is a thread about it at the moment let me link to it. 

I have not done it but... I know 2 ways that are popular.

One is that you drop a sinker on your main line. One of the ones with the wires attached. Then you clip on a live bait to this line and let it swim out as far as it can. There is some sort of non return clip so it can go out but not back in.

Second is very simple. Paternoster type rig with sinker and bait. Just take it out and drop it. 

Good luck. I think it can be a really good way to get baits out a long way especially with an onshore breeze. I have seen some cracking mackerel caught from the surf beaches. Really worth a try and a lot of fun. Getting baits out the back of the last breakers is pretty exciting. I would like to float some baits as well if conditions allow. 

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey Ozzy Fisho. There is a thread about it at the moment let me link to it. 

I have not done it but... I know 2 ways that are popular.

One is that you drop a sinker on your main line. One of the ones with the wires attached. Then you clip on a live bait to this line and let it swim out as far as it can. There is some sort of non return clip so it can go out but not back in.

Second is very simple. Paternoster type rig with sinker and bait. Just take it out and drop it. 

Good luck. I think it can be a really good way to get baits out a long way especially with an onshore breeze. I have seen some cracking mackerel caught from the surf beaches. Really worth a try and a lot of fun. Getting baits out the back of the last breakers is pretty exciting. I would like to float some baits as well if conditions allow. 

Awesome Drop Bear   thank you very much

I use my drone for fishing, what I did is put a coat hanger under it where I attach a line which connects to the main line.

I use FPV for better orientation of the drone at greater distance in case I am not able to make out the front from the back.

What I do is I put the main line and hook it on coat hanger via another small line tied to it, the secondary line goes on the coat hanger using a key ring, I fly it out as far as I want, and when I want to drop the bait, all  I do is flip the bail over and turn the drone around and pull it away from me, what it does is, it puts tension on the main line and it snaps out of the coat hanger, and thats it! Your bait is now way way further than anyone can imagine, I could see boats fishing near the spot where I fish, so helps me a lot. Only thing is where I live there are no fishes, except fron squids and crab and that too is in scares

Lemme know if you need any help with the setup.

On 19/10/2018 at 6:37 PM, dhingchakdude said:

I use my drone for fishing, what I did is put a coat hanger under it where I attach a line which connects to the main line.

I use FPV for better orientation of the drone at greater distance in case I am not able to make out the front from the back.

What I do is I put the main line and hook it on coat hanger via another small line tied to it, the secondary line goes on the coat hanger using a key ring, I fly it out as far as I want, and when I want to drop the bait, all  I do is flip the bail over and turn the drone around and pull it away from me, what it does is, it puts tension on the main line and it snaps out of the coat hanger, and thats it! Your bait is now way way further than anyone can imagine, I could see boats fishing near the spot where I fish, so helps me a lot. Only thing is where I live there are no fishes, except fron squids and crab and that too is in scares

Great post mate. 

I hope you do find some spots that hold fish. 

On 19/10/2018 at 4:37 PM, dhingchakdude said:

Awesome post mate.  This is much appreciated.  I will do exactly this as I had been looking at how much release mechanisms were and decided they were over priced.  Will get this done up and give it a try out over chrissy.   LEGEND MATE.

I have a bayangtoys x16 GPS drone. 

It came with 2200 mAh battery which gives 15-18 minutes fight time.

I bought 3 spare 2200mAh Turnigy batteries for 15$each

I normally use 1 battery for 1 cast, I have not tried using the same battery twice since I send drone far away and it has automated RTH which won't allow it to go far if it doesn't have enough charge left. 

• 1 month later...
On 26/10/2018 at 11:14 AM, dhingchakdude said:

I have a bayangtoys x16 GPS drone. 

It came with 2200 mAh battery which gives 15-18 minutes fight time.

I bought 3 spare 2200mAh Turnigy batteries for 15$each

I normally use 1 battery for 1 cast, I have not tried using the same battery twice since I send drone far away and it has automated RTH which won't allow it to go far if it doesn't have enough charge left. 

Nice one mate. So have you caught any fish yet? I'm dying to see some photos? 

On 12/12/2018 at 1:40 PM, Drop Bear said:

Nice one mate. So have you caught any fish yet? I'm dying to see some photos? 

Hey there mate...

No, I have not been fishing for past 2 months. Got married... and was busy with stuff back home.

Will be coming to Australia soon...

I spoke to a lot of locals around my area, and they said the terrain is just sand for kms... Absence of structure makes marine life next to zero.

So, I will be continuing with fishing with my drone till I get a job.  Then I would want to buy a boat. I researched a lot and man these boats are expensive!

I am making a thread soon on which boat to buy, I never had any hobby in my life apart from stupid video games... lol

Now fishing is my life, I would like to take it to next level and want to do it using a boat.

I need some inputs on which boat to buy which I can drive standing rather than sitting. And something below 10k. may be once I have money I can go till 20k. But will see..

Oh by the way, I will post video and pics soon next month for sure.

By the way its nice that people remember me... *smile*

7 hours ago, dhingchakdude said:

Hey there mate...

No, I have not been fishing for past 2 months. Got married... and was busy with stuff back home.

Will be coming to Australia soon...

I spoke to a lot of locals around my area, and they said the terrain is just sand for kms... Absence of structure makes marine life next to zero.

So, I will be continuing with fishing with my drone till I get a job.  Then I would want to buy a boat. I researched a lot and man these boats are expensive!

I am making a thread soon on which boat to buy, I never had any hobby in my life apart from stupid video games... lol

Now fishing is my life, I would like to take it to next level and want to do it using a boat.

I need some inputs on which boat to buy which I can drive standing rather than sitting. And something below 10k. may be once I have money I can go till 20k. But will see..

Oh by the way, I will post video and pics soon next month for sure.

By the way its nice that people remember me... *smile*

Lots of us can give you advice on a boat that would suit you. Please be really specific about where you would like to take it and what you would like to fish for. The more information you can give us the better. 

10k should be ok if you are not too ambitious. 

If you are wanting to get more involved in fisheries perhaps you could join a local OzFish chapter near you? They work on repairing and restoring fish habitat. Check out 

https://ozfish.org.au/

or my one at 

www.ozfishmoretonbay.org

From my research you can get a remote release accessory for some drones dji phantom etc

They seem like the go , you can take a burley bomb out drop it too.

Awesome bit of kit

I am looking at the dji marvic for elevated views of rivers at low tide in areas I have not fished, particularly remote areas. Should be good to find the better places to drop in the crab pots too.

Have fun

Cheers

waz

5 hours ago, WAZA said:

From my research you can get a remote release accessory for some drones dji phantom etc

They seem like the go , you can take a burley bomb out drop it too.

Awesome bit of kit

I am looking at the dji marvic for elevated views of rivers at low tide in areas I have not fished, particularly remote areas. Should be good to find the better places to drop in the crab pots too.

Have fun

Cheers

waz

Check my earlier posts, you don't have to buy those expensive bait release system, just some 2nd grade physics can help you drop the bait

Archived